Fascinating Story - Bill Lock

Discussion in 'Romanies & Travellers' started by Chimp, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Bill Lock - Deaf and Dumb Romany

Bill was a well known character around here when I was growing up. Sometimes he would frighten the bejezus out of me with his screams, but he was a lovely man.

Google "bill lock life account" and take a look at the .pdf file entitles ' Deaf and Different - DASH'

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

What a wonderful account. Thank you for posting about it. :)

Chimp likes this.
  3. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

The local nursing home that he went into was Stapley House, Knighton (my town). My sister was head carer at Stapley at the time.

Sis, Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  4. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Thanks Chimp - we all had 'characters' from our childhood (now sadly rare these days), how great to be able to read his life story:)

Mealymoo and Chimp like this.
  5. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

That's just what I thought MollyMay. I can remember the blind man who wasn't really blind.........

Thanks for that Chimp :)

Ann

Chimp and MollyMay like this.
  6. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Very interesting, Chimp. Transported me back to the days when small communities all looked out for each other, happy times.

MollyMay and Chimp like this.
  7. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Thank you Chimp. What a wonderful character Bill was.

Chimp likes this.
  8. Joanne

Joanne Well-Known Member

A man definately well loved by the community

Chimp likes this.
  9. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Thank you Chimp. I just love reading these little tid bits that pop up here from time to time.
    I don't remember anyone from my early days but my kids do. He was called Scabby Joe by countless decades of schoolkids in the western suburbs here. He was a very old man by the time my kids came along. He was homeless and very destitute and would walk along the railwayline from suburb to suburb after whatever he could scavenge.
    How cruel humans are. He probably had a story to tell but who would listen. I'm sure now that all these kids have grown they would still think about him but maybe now in a different light.
    I often wonder about his circumstances and who he really was.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  10. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

I know this is a bit off piste for which I apologise but in a similar vein one person that sticks in my mind was a kid at senior school, I'll call him Fred, not his real name but it will do.

The incident that comes to my mind each Xmas was after one Xmas when the kids at school were relating what Xmas presents they had received, when they asked Fred, he said proudly "these braces" (for holding trousers up), that was all he got. I had to walk away it upset me to think that all he got were braces.

His father worked for the railways so had a steady job but he was a drinker who often beat his wife and Fred.

In class he always had to sit on his own because of his smell, class mates refused to sit by him, from time to time the teachers would take him and get him scrubbed from head to foot and issue him with a clean set of clothes. He once told us that his mother couldn't afford to buy soap and with a boozy father that was probably true. As you can imagine his school life wasn't a happy one, some kids were quite cruel with the way they shunned him and others for the names they called him, I will say though that one bunch of kids did their best to protect him. I often wonder what sort of life the poor beggar had after school days.

His mother used to sell wheat she gleaned from the fields after the wheat had been harvested. Some of the wheat was obviously from spillage at the railway yard because it had coal dust and small particles of coal in the mix. By way of explanation the grain was for chicken feed, it was during WW2 and grain for chickens was hard to come by. It's not hard to imagine, knowing the family's background, that the braces were all his poor mother could afford and no doubt somewhere along the line a sacrifice was made.

Joanne, AnnB, mugwortismy cat and 4 others like this.
  11. Archie's Mum

Thank you Findem. I wish some kids today would be content with similar for Christmas. It's a me, me world today. Poor child. I do hope he did well in life. He deserved to.

Half Hour, Joanne, Sis and 3 others like this.
  12. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

How sad, Findem, both for him, and his Mum who probably cried buckets in private as she was unable to buy nice presents for him, and for the cruelty they both suffered.

Joanne, Sis, Ma-dotcom and 1 other person like this.
  13. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Yes Mealymoo I suspect it was a heartache for his mother not being able to give him what other parents could give there kids, especially at birthdays and Xmas.

For some of us kids it made us feel so helpless that we couldn't improve Fred's lot. We did treat him as we would other kids but it was impossible to let him hang out with us because of the smell and let's face it, as normal grubby schoolboys we weren't fastidious about appearances nor that fussy about smells but he was just a bit too much.

I felt very, very sorry for Fred's mother, on top of all her worries she was called in to the school every so often, how humiliating would that have been for her, especially with little or no control of her circumstances. To my mind she would have been better off on a widows pension.

I just hope that soon after he left school and started work he managed to extricate himself from his situation and eventually his mother with him, get married and have a deservedly happy life, he certainly was owed it.

I have no idea what happened to Fred after school, by then my family had moved to a different area so I lost touch.

Forgot to mention that his family lived no more than a five minute's walk from where my family lived during my infant and junior school days, also for most of my days at senior school, that's why I know so much about him and his parents.

Joanne, Sis, Ma-dotcom and 2 others like this.
  14. Archie's Mum

Isn't it great that although the smart and obnoxious ones at school sometimes get a thought or two but it's the others, the poor the lonely and sad that always seem to stick in your mind. They are the ones whose future we seem to worry about.

15. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Sue, they are the ones who need & deserve to have people worry/care about them.
    thank God there are facilities with just that aim in mind.
    We can only hope these less fortunate grow up with better ideals & character than some of the 'fortunate' ones.

16. Joanne

Joanne Well-Known Member

I remember in primary school a girl who was sent to school each day "smelly", unfortunately for her she was a bed wetter and I don't know the circumstances but she was sent to school smelly. I remember I once took to school a book I received as a birthday present for show and tell and which she stole and destroyed somewhat. I remember this girls name even now, and hope I have installed in my daughter to be more caring of those NOT as fortunate

Sis, Ma-dotcom and Mealymoo like this.
  17. Archie's Mum

I remember one little girl in my first class photo. There she is, sitting cross legged right at the very end of the front row. No one, if I remember correctly ever befriended her. She was only at school intermittently. She had very sparse hair and incredibly bad skin for a six year old.
    She died at the end of that year!
    We were only six. How could we have known.

Joanne, Sis, Findem and 2 others like this.
  18. GeoffKerrMorgan

GeoffKerrMorgan Member

19. GeoffKerrMorgan

GeoffKerrMorgan Member

20. GeoffKerrMorgan

GeoffKerrMorgan Member

In 1975 my dad was murdered by a deaf and mute prostitute in Bradford a one off TV drama was made in 1977 called Dummy about her story. My 2 brothers and my sister have never called the woman and seeing what life she had feel she was as much a victim as my dad. It was a shocking harrowing and moving account

Daft Bat and Ma-dotcom like this.