Father details required to establish link with two trees

Discussion in 'Church Records' started by Te Moananui, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Te Moananui

Te Moananui Member

There appears to be three documents on Ancestry for Abraham Reed under Gaol Registers 1807-1879 and a document under Marriage Registers, Bonds and Allegations 1754-1914 for Mary (Brewer) Reed, wife of Abraham.

if anyone has some spare time please could you obtain copies so I can compare to the information that has been gathered.

Thanks

T

2. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Me too, Ann, as I couldn't find anything re Abraham's case either except for the gaol register record.

Northing very helpful at first glance on William REED's marriage record to Sarah COWLIN in 1810 either as regards witnesses who were Nicholas COWLIN & Charlotte RICHARDS. 1851 & 1861 census records show that William was born c1784 at Wootton which does tie in with his baptismal record shown below.

Burial at Wootton Courtenay on 11 January 1835 for James REED, Wootton Courtney, aged 76. Marriage at Luccombe on 16 October 1782 of James REED (Ancestry have transcribed him as FREED!) of Wootton Courtney & Ann COBLEY of this parish by licence. Both marked. Baptism at Wootton Courtenay on 27 April 1783 of William son of James & Ann REED - image available to view on Ancestry. There is a burial at Easton in Gordano on 29 November 1792 for an Ann wife of James REED which could be relevant to you. Both Ancestry & FMP have a transcription for the marriage of a James REED & Mary LILLEYBEE at Saint Sidwell, Exeter, on 20 September 1795 but unfortunately nothing to indicate whether this is actually your James REED.

At least you now have the proof that the William REED who married Sarah COWLIN is the son of James REED & his first wife Ann COBLEY.

Janet

AnnB likes this.
  3. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

The marriage of Abraham REED & Mary BREWER took place at Winscombe on 4 August 1828 (FreeReg) but unfortunately I can only find a banns record available on Ancestry dated 13/20 & 27 July 1828 for Abraham REED & Mary BREWER both of this parish.

Criminal record for Abraham REED, Somerset, 1829, crime being shown as Murder, sentence was Death and he was executed on 31 August 1829. Sounds like he was the Abraham who married Mary BREWER above from various newspaper reports of the case, which state that both were residents of Withypool, he was accused of murdering his wife Mary, both aged about 30, by poison contained in cream which he gave to his wife for breakfast. They had been married unhappily for about 12 months. A local jury found him guilty, the poison being determined as arsenic, and he was committed to trial at Bridgewater Assizes.

The other Gaol records on Ancestry, except for the one regarding Abraham REED of Wootton Courtenay, all seem to refer to the above Abraham REED of Withypool.

Janet

AnnB likes this.
  4. Te Moananui

Te Moananui Member

Janet thank you so much for taking time look.

I am not a member of Ancestry. Are you a member, and would you be willing to download images of the records you mention and forward them onto me?

The murder case I found by chance last night, transcribed from a book entitled Somerset Executions by A M Gould. If you look back on this post you should see details of a link. Very interesting to read.

T