Fathers name on birth cert

Discussion in 'BMD Certificates' started by Nightryder, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Nightryder

Nightryder Well-Known Member

I know in the past when a baby was registered to an unmarried mother the father had to be present at the registration for his name to go on the certificate but does anyone know when in England the law changed & what information the mother gave would just be accepted.

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Oddly enough, I found it yesterday whilst I was looking for something else.... o_O

The Registration Act of 1875 stated that "the name, surname and occupation of the putative father of an illegitimate child must not be entered except at the joint request of the father and mother; in which case both the father and mother must sign the entry as informants"

However, this changed with the 1953 Births and Deaths Registration Act. If you have a look here and scroll down to Section F19 (Registration of father where parents not married) it will tell you all about it. :)

Malcolm Webb, Eve, HildaW and 3 others like this.
  3. PeterG

PeterG Well-Known Member

An unmarried woman could of course claim to be married and then it wouldn't be necessary for the father to turn up.

4. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Sad tho', in the case of a reputed Father already being married, didn't stop him wandering & fathering children wherever else he wished.

5. Nightryder

Nightryder Well-Known Member

Thank you Jan:)

Daft Bat likes this.