Father's Name

Discussion in 'BMD Certificates' started by Oz Faremeister, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Oz Faremeister

Oz Faremeister Member

Hi all,
    I am considering buying a few birth records from the English GRO but don't want to waste my money. Is the full name of the father listed on the birth entries after 1837, as well as the maiden name of the mother (I need to resolve who the father was in a few instances where there are marriages to a person with the same maiden name of Hesketh)? I know the father's name is listed (if present) after 1969, but what about before then?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Hi there,

The thing with certificates is that the registrar just recorded what he was told. So, if you had a father by the name of John Nigel SMITH, it might just be recorded as John SMITH - without the Nigel. :cool:

However, the maiden name of the mother will be recorded. :D

But.....

If you register with the GRO website, you can look up births from 1837 through to 1918 and they will give the maiden name that has been recorded - just so that you don't spend a fortune ordering the wrong ones. ;)

Or...

Give us the names that you are researching and we will pitch in to help. :)

Chimp likes this.
  3. Oz Faremeister

Oz Faremeister Member

I'm after who the father of someone registered Sep 1937 was. I strongly suspect that his father was John Fare who married Jenny Hesketh in Jun 1937. There are 3 other children, but there is also a one in Sep 1948 and a another in Mar 1950. All 4 are registered in the same general area but the complication is a Thomas Fare may have married Ellen Hesketh in Mar 1945 in the same area of Lancashire, so the latter two children could be theirs instead.
    I'm already registered with the GRO, where the mothers maiden name of the 4 children is listed as Hesketh.

(Details of potentially living people removed)

4. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

As this is so recent and people may still be living, I have removed their names.

In this case, you would be better off ordering the certificate. However, I think that an email to the GRO first might pay off, asking what they would charge to check a father's first name for you on a certificate before you order it.

Once upon a time, you could request that a certificate was sent to you only if the parent's name was xxxxx. I am not sure if they still offer that service though.

Oz Faremeister likes this.
  5. Oz Faremeister

Oz Faremeister Member

Cheers, thanks for the quick advice Jan

Daft Bat likes this.
  6. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Just a guess but the marriage in 1945 produced two children, a girl in 1948 who seems to carry the second name of her mother and the son born in 1950 named for his father.
    The marriage in 1937, a girl named after her mother born in 1943 and a son named after his father born in 1937 I can only find those two.
    If you can follow me....o_O

Ma-dotcom and Oz Faremeister like this.
  7. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

8. Oz Faremeister

Oz Faremeister Member

I think you are probably right Archie's mum. May see if I can order the certificate to be sure (lucky the Volume details are on freebmd since you can't search births after 1918 on the GRO website). Hmmm, at 11 pounds each, plus the record can't be sent electronically, I'm not sure I want to know that badly now!!!!

Archie's Mum likes this.
  9. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

At least it could give a hint as to whose kids are whose.

Oz Faremeister likes this.