Father's name?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Jellylegs, May 28, 2020.

1. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

Advice on what people think the father's name on this marriage certificate is please.

I'm wondering if it is really the bride's mother's name :confused:

Attached Files:

2. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

Looks to me like Honora Sullivan or Honor w Sullivan. Ms. Lynch is a widow, so I guess the thing to do is hunt for a birth record or a record of her previous marriage, which I'm not able to do at the moment. Sorry not more help. :oops:

MollyMay likes this.
  3. Londoner

Londoner Will always roll up her sleeves and dig around

could be Henery

4. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

It does look like Honora Sullivan:rolleyes: - have you found the first marriage to Mr Lynch?

Jellylegs likes this.
  5. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

I think it's Honora, the same as the bride. Very occasionally you do find a mother's name given (note that her father was deceased), but it was strictly irregular.

I couldn't find a marriage of Honora Sullivan to a Lynch in England, but there are a few in Ireland. If you happen to have her and Mr Lynch in a census you might be able to work out which one it is, and find her father from that marriage.

Alternatively, there might be a separate church register which has the correct information - based on this certificate, the official register seems to have been brought for the occasion by the registrar.

Jellylegs likes this.
  6. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

surname is Sullivan but ist name is does look like Honaria !!

as usual took me too long to reply:rolleyes:

Jellylegs likes this.
  7. Schnurrbart

Schnurrbart Well-Known Member

In the 1861 Census the family, including children from her first marriage, were at the St Nicholas Coast Guard Station in Birchington, Kent, not far from Sheerness. Her first marriage may well have been in Ireland, although her children are down as born in Sheerness.

8. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

The 1861 census gives Honora's birthplace as Crosshaven, Co. Cork. That, with the ages of the children, would make a good match with the marriage of Honora Sullivan and Patrick Lynch in Carrigaline & Templebrigid (Templebready) in 1852. A copy of the church register is at the following site, but details are sparse.
    Code:
    https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/
    ADDED:
    I've just looked at baptism records on the same site, and the only Sullivan family having children baptised in Carrigaline & Templebrigid with mother Honora had a father Daniel. (Mother Honora's surname seemed to vary.)

There was also a Honora baptised in 1826 with father Denis and mother Mary Twomy - one of the sponsors was Honora Sullivan. Hmmm.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    Jellylegs and MollyMay like this.
  9. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Edward Lynch has the middle name Dennis (child on the 1861 census)
    upload_2020-5-28_21-32-41.png

Jellylegs likes this.
  10. Jellylegs

Thank you all. I have the details of her first marriage on 1 Nov 1849 in Ireland - Cork and Ross Area, to Thomas Lynch that @Daft Bat found it for me here - which doesn't give father's names :(.

I suddenly remembered Honora/Hanorah married again, so thought the certificate would solve the problem of who her father was.

GrannyBarb and MollyMay like this.
  11. Jellylegs

I noticed that @MollyMay - and wondered whether or not they had known each other before her first husband Thomas died in 1857.

MollyMay likes this.
  12. Jellylegs

The trouble is, I really don't know where she may have been born (apart from Ireland). Her birth year on census ranges from 1831 to 1836, then on her second marriage certificate in 1858 she says she is 29, giving a birth year of about 1829, so don't know where to start looking :(.

MollyMay likes this.
  13. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Have you looked on Ancestry's RC Irish records? Surprisingly there are a good few baptisms in Cork for an Honora SULLIVAN, where the mother's forename is also Honora, between 1828 & 1832. Some of the records are difficult to interpret but perhaps worth looking at.

Janet

Jellylegs likes this.
  14. WelchRegLost

WelchRegLost Well-Known Member

according to the Diocesan website for that church the original registers are being digitised by FMP and should be online this year, they don't appear to there yet.

Jellylegs likes this.