Filling in the blanks with my descent from Coles Willison

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Aspiring Posho, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Aspiring Posho

Aspiring Posho Member

A while ago with the help of Buckinghamshire Records Office I managed to trace back to my 7-times-great-grandfather Coles Willison, who died in 1781. Apparently he left a fair fortune behind, but I'm not sure of the ins and outs. Plus the Records Office didn't quite get all the information re: my direct descent. Here are the couples from my great-great-grandparents onwards going further back and all the information I have. If anyone can help fill in the blanks, I'd be grateful.

1. Louise Simmonds (b. 1876 in Glamorgan, d. 25/5/1956 Windsor) married Frank Perry (b. 5/5/1876 Bray, d. 28/11/1950 Windsor, gardener) on 11/11/1901 in Windsor.

2. George Perry (b. 26/3/1843 Sutton Courtenay, d. 1928 Maidenhead, paper-maker) married Elizabeth Collier (b. 1844 Northampton, d. 1887 Bray) on 19/12/1863 Sutton Courtenay [parents of Frank]

3. Thomas Collier (b. 7/11/1819 Mursley, d. N/K, unknown job) married Mary Crane (b. 20/3/1821 Newton Longville, d. N/K) on 8/12/1839 in Newport Pagnell [parents of Elizabeth]

4. Joseph Crane (b. 7/12/1794 Newton Longville, d. 1869 Newport Pagnell, ag lab) married Ann Field (b. 1797 Newton Longville, d. N/K) on 20/10/1817 Newton Longville [parents of Mary]

5. Richard Crane married Mary Willison, Coles' daughter.

2. patten-walsh

patten-walsh Well-Known Member

Only a small bit of info but it all helps
    Louise birth is given as 29 June 1876 in the 1939 Register

Daft Bat likes this.
  3. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

As Joseph and Ann were living in Newton Longville in the 1851 census and by 1861 Joseph was there as a widower, I had a rummage for a death of Ann CRANE between those dates in the Newport Pagnell registration district, which covers Newton Longville.

Found the following:

Ann CRANE, September quarter 1853, volume 3a, page 265.

The age given is 59, which would mean a birth year of 1794 or thereabouts. Only 3 years out from the information that you have given but remember - ages were not as important back then and also were only as accurate as the knowledge of the person registering the death. ;)

4. Daft Bat

Birth registration:
    Northampton, June quarter 1845, volume 15, page 303 - mmn CRANE

5. Daft Bat

I see from the 1851 census that Mary has remarried and that her husband is a Charles TERRY (in the censuses this is recorded as TARRY). This marriage took place in the Newport Pagnell RD, September quarter 1848, volume 6, page 569. Therefore, Thomas COLLIER would have died before then - if indeed he did before Mary remarried. ;)

6. Daft Bat

Following on from my post #5 above, Charles and Mary can be found in the censuses under TARRY for the most part (there was HARVEY transcribed in one, though :rolleyes: ) but they lived in Abingdon, Berkshire.

There is a death for a Mary TARRY in the June quarter of 1900, Abingdon RD, volume 2c, page 193, aged 80, which seems to be her. Charles died in 1906, aged 83. :)

7. Daft Bat

The 1841 census has 2 candidates for Thomas: one in Aston Clinton and the other in Buckingham. As your chap was born in Mursley, I would consider that the one in Buckingham to be the more likely as that is the closer of the two - 10 miles rather than 15. Not only that, if he wed in Newport Pagnell, that is closer to Buckingham than Aston Clinton, so more chance of meeting his bride to be. ;)
    His occupation in this census was that of Journeyman Baker. Ref:
    HO107, piece 62, book 15, folio 14, page 23. :)