Finding Auntie Irene

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Nightryder, Feb 20, 2016.

1. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Finger's crossed for you - do let us know.

Nightryder likes this.
  2. Nightryder

Nightryder Well-Known Member

The cert arrived today & this is my Irene, maiden name of Quilter & informant husband Michael, I can now upload the cert to FMP & hope the redacted entry on the 1939 register in the same household as my dad is Irene.
    I only need a copy of her birth cert & I can send for her Army service record as well,happy camper:)

3. MollyMay

4. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

From memory when filling in the Form for a friend to get his dad's army records, you only need the person's date of birth if you don't have their army number.

Daft Bat likes this.
  5. Nightryder

Jellylegs, reading the bumf on the MOD website you could be right, I remember when I applied for my Dad's record I included his birth, death & marriage cert & a copy of my birth cert, just to prove I was related,when I posted the forms off I was back in England for a few weeks & I didn't want any hold ups, just sending anything to England from Aus can take well over a week to arrive.
    I uploaded Irene's cert to FMP & It is Irene in the household with my Dad, they said it will be open within 48 hours, it's already been over that & it's still not open:(

6. Nightryder

FMP finally opened the record & Irene was a cutter in hosiery manufacturing.
    Today I've downloaded & printed out the forms to apply for her Army service records but there are questions i don't know how to answer.
    Her year of discharge, I've no idea unless it was the year she married.
    The reason for her leaving the Army, no idea, unless it's the same as above.
    The question I'm most bothered about is Forenames in full- MANDATORY.
    Her marriage & death cert gives only Irene as does the supplement to the gazette on four different occasions but there's an incoming passenger list in 1943 for a Lieutenant I.A Quilter,I can't be certain this is my Irene but if it is & she does have a second name the MOD are not going to like it, but would it make a difference as to if I get the record or not, I don't know, I need to get this right the first time, should I send for her birth cert to be absolutely sure.

7. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

As her birth was registered with just the first name of Irene, I would just put that. :)

Ma-dotcom and Nightryder like this.
  8. Nightryder

Thank you Jan that's what I'm going to do, I have all the papers printed out but I have 2 options & I'm not sure which to go with, 1st form is if you are next of kin or have permission from the next of kin,all of Irene's immediate family are gone except for her younger sister who I have no idea if she is still alive, she was adopted out of the family as a toddler,(Ive no idea what happened to her) Irene has a half brother still alive, would he be considered next of kin. The other option is just to request the record, does anyone know, if I don't apply as family, (but maybe not next of kin) if it makes any difference, they only release records after the person has been dead for 25 years & its now 27 years.
    I'm just wondering if maybe they do not like to release records for non family members.

9. MollyMay

I would declare myself as NoK. As you have no idea if the adopted sister is still living, and know the rest are no longer alive then I think that qualifies you to be, she was your paternal aunt so a close family connection.

Nightryder likes this.
  10. Nightryder

MollyMay, Yes I should be close enough family, so Il go with that form, it's almost all ready, tomorrow I just have to get a bank cheque & I'm going to send it registered post, that's what I did when I sent for my dad's record, I know I might have to wait months to get it but Il be happy to just know they received it ok.

Ma-dotcom, Daft Bat and MollyMay like this.
  11. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

Good luck, Nightryder!

Nightryder likes this.
  12. Nightryder

It's all on its way, I did include my email address but can't remember if the MOD send emails to let you know it has been received, hope so.

13. Nightryder

I have found another mention in the Supplement to the Gazette, 7th March 1952 for Irene as Irene Edwards, it says The undermentioned Capts.relinquish their commn. On completion of service 1st March 1952,and are granted the hon.ranks as shown, Irene Edwards (309775)_Capt. Does this mean she is leaving the army but can keep her rank of Captain as an honourary title.

Ma-dotcom likes this.