Finding WW2 regiment

Discussion in 'British Army' started by Nelli, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Nelli

Nelli Active Member

Hello you lovely lot, I am having searching troubles. What is the best way to find out what regiment my grandfather served in during WW2? There's no one alive who would know and the dead are lousy conversationalists....

Blackmogs, Archie's Mum, Sis and 2 others like this.
  2. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

Any photos in uniform? A cap badge we might zoom in on?

My father signed up with his local regiment, the RWF, but was transferred to the Devons when they suffered heavy losses. My mother couldn't remember what regiment he'd served in and it seemed an impossible task... somehow I got there.

Sis, Ma-dotcom, Chimp and 1 other person like this.
  3. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Post his details on here, @Nelli Then folk can have a rummage and, all being well, point you in the right direction. :)

Nelli likes this.
  4. Nelli

Nelli Active Member

Sadly no photos. Henry Walter Birch, born 19 August 1920 in Birmingham, Warwickshire as it was then. Living in 7/60 New John Street West in 1939, occupation plumbers mate. Anything else you need, let me know. And thank you for rummaging.

5. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

I think you will only find out by applying for his army records from the M.O.D. at a cost of £30 which they keep, even if they don't find anything. I am sure that the minimum info needed is full name and date of birth - you must also send a copy of your grandad's death certificate.

Having had a look around it appears that the WW2 medal card index is not available yet, which is a shame.

Do you know if he continued in the army after the war had finished? Just wondering as I see he married in 1946, and was thinking if he had still been in the army, it might give his regiment on the marriage certificate.

You can apply for his records here https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

Sue036, Sis, Ma-dotcom and 1 other person like this.
  6. Nelli

Nelli Active Member

Thank you so much for finding that for me. It says on that link that you need their service number, though which I don't have - will it make a difference if I don't know it, do you think?

I think I will try getting a copy of their marriage certificate anyway and see what that says.

Ma-dotcom, Chimp and Daft Bat like this.
  7. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

Sometimes soldiers can be found in the first electoral roll(s) compiled after the war, if they hadn't been demobbed. They're in the Absent Voters section, and are often listed with their regiment and service number.

8. patten-walsh

patten-walsh Well-Known Member

You can supply either a service number ( which you don't have) and lacking this their date of birth will suffice.

9. Nelli

Nelli Active Member

You wonderful person you! I ordered their marriage cert, it arrived today and lo and behold, Private No 114 114 896 Welch Regiment is on there

10. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

That's great :)

Blackmogs and Nelli like this.