Finding Your Roots episode 2019

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by GrannyBarb, Jan 11, 2019.

1. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

This is a series on our PBS network hosted by Professor Henry Louis Gates. Each show is typically two or three celebrity guests, who each sit across a table from him, one on one, while he presents each of them with a "book of life" that represents the family history research performed by his team.

One of the guests this week was comedic actor, Andy Samberg, whose mother was adopted and has spent decades looking for her birth parents. She had a couple of letters from the adoption agency that had very vague descriptions of her birth mother. The only details that looked hopeful was that she was Jewish, and had a sister who was a famous singer in India. With just that and DNA, the team narrowed the list to one family, then just one woman, attaining a photo, that didn't exactly match the vague description, but close enough.

Then they went back to the DNA looking for the father. They started with that he would have come from a particular area in Sicily, and found a potential match to a man who served in the U.S. Navy and was located in the same area as the birth mother at the crucial time. When they showed a photo of him in his youth, he looked remarkably like Andy Samberg! So we watched a "reunion" of Mrs. Samberg and her new half-sibs. They showed her photos and told stories. Then they pulled out a photo of their dad with a woman they could never identify. It was the birth mother! Isn't that wonderful? For 70+ years she never knew who her parents were, they never married, and then here was a photo of them together. Very compelling story. They are not all that good, but that one was pretty special.

2. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

I found it on YouTube and watched it. Amazing detective work, and it meant so much to the family. I'm now starting to watch other episodes

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  3. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

I'll have to go looking for it, too.

GrannyBarb likes this.
  4. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

I'll have to see if I can get it... we get some US stations. What night do you see it @GrannyBarb?

5. GrannyBarb

This show was on last Tues, the 8th, I think, at 7 PM Central time. You might find it if you get the closest "educational" channel to you, otherwise look for it online.

Half Hour likes this.
  6. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

I thought this was one of the best yet!! I did find that when they did the other fellow's "Jewish" ancestry, I did get a tad confused after.....he thought he had Italian blood. IOW, they had a role reversal of sorts with ancestors.

But the one with Samberg was exceptional!! I like Prof. Gates better than anyone on the WDYTYA show.......and look forward to the next 9 episodes (instead of just 4 on that other one).....we get it up here via PBS in Buffalo, NY.

Btw, we can't get reruns or video clips from American stations as they consider us "foreign".....maddening. So I either have to get a VPN setup so I can pretend to be from the US or watch it on YouTube.

Half Hour and GrannyBarb like this.
  7. GrannyBarb

If you get the digital sub-channels, they often replay them on the World channel. :)
    The other guest was George R. R. Martin, who wrote the Game of Thrones books. He seemed to take it really well, the grandfather he thought deserted the family, was estranged because Grandma had the outside relationship. :eek:
    Again, DNA to the rescue, sort of. :oops:

Half Hour and Figgs like this.
  8. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

LOL....I am not a fan of DNA, but probably in the minority. Seen too many mistakes with too many people.......not to mention it would have cost me $150 back in the day when yours was around $80!!!

I honestly have no use for it for me bc I am back to the 1700's on paper for the Scottish and English ancestry. My German side (Swackhamer) goes back to the 1500's when it was Schlecheimer....it got changed to Swackhamer in New Jersey, USA in the early 1700's. My Jacob Swackhamer was a United Empire Loyalist who came up here from NJ and fought with Gen. Brock against the US in 1812.

Ron's would be interesting to a point bc there was a touch of mix on both the English and Spanish sides. Again, back to the 1700's with his too. Even found the freed slaves that "married" into his 2 families.

Plus it's the Scottish frugality genes in me. :D:D

Bay Horse and GrannyBarb like this.
  9. GrannyBarb

I, too, am holding off on doing personal DNA. Aside from perhaps confirming a Native American ancestor on my maternal side, I have no interest in giving my most personal data to a corporation. I will say, though, that typically Prof. Gates does a good job of presenting the information and helping his guests answer long-held questions, especially for those whose trail goes cold due to slavery. His own personal story is interesting and how he got into doing these shows.

Figgs likes this.
  10. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Another big reason is that when you sign up, you give away all your rights to the results!! A week or so ago, it was revealed in the news that Glaxo-Kline had paid 300 million dollars (I believe) to 23 & Me for access to all of their results. A pharmaceutical company? I do not see a good future in all of this. What if you apply for a job and the employer or insurer can access these records re your future health, for instance. Just as a thought.

IOW....I am darned glad I never had mine done. I have nothing to hide but they have no business poking their noses in MY business. :sceptical:

Btw, are you related to Elizabeth Warren?? :p It always baffles me to see Americans looking for a "Cherokee Princess" in their ancestry....not all that many of them to go around for one thing. But Canadians never seem to look for First Nations background that I know of on any of my Cdn. groups. I know of two who have it, but as a rule they are only interested in the "Indian Status" designation which gives them tax benefits, government grants and possible profits from mineral, oil & gas rights if discovered on the reservation they were born on.

I have asked on the Ancestry group re DNA, but never have received any satisfactory answer as to why it always seems to be this mysterious Cherokee Princess....just seems to be "family lore". Just really curious so thought I would ask. Answer privately if you wish. :)

11. GrannyBarb

LOL! Not Cherokee (that's on Dad's side ;) - several lines in N. Georgia on former Cherokee lands). Mom's mother's mother's mother's parents were from Rhode Island, and one was supposed to be half Narragansett. Haven't found it documented yet. You're right, though. The Cherokee princess is a commonly sought ancestor, for the very reason you said. :oops:

Daft Bat and Figgs like this.
  12. GrannyBarb

FYO episode last night, common theme - actors who knew their birth fathers, but were not raised by them, so did not have family stories on those lines. Felicity Huffman and Michael K Williams. Both of these were strict paper-trail stories. Honestly, I was multi-tasking while this was on. I might catch it on replay, if I get a chance.

Next week is three television journalists: Lisa Ling, Ann Curry, and Christiane Amanpour.

Figgs likes this.
  13. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

Wish I hadn't, now.

Figgs likes this.
  14. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

It was mildly interesting but not fascinating!! Prof. Gates must have a slew of researchers working for him!! I thought it odd that Williams was so shocked at the slave inventory...as I have transcribed a few of them!

Next week I am interested in Christiane Amanpour. She has an odd background I think! No clue who Ann Curry is! This episode wasn't as good as last week's!

GrannyBarb likes this.
  15. patten-walsh

patten-walsh Well-Known Member

PBS America can be had in the UK on Virgin Media channel 267, Sky channel 160, Freesat channel 155 and Freeview channel 94.

Unfortunately that programme is not in the Schedule for the UK

Figgs and GrannyBarb like this.
  16. GrannyBarb

For years she was a serious news reader / reporter on NBC, most notably the Today Show, which is a mostly unwatchable morning show. She now hosts a PBS show that reunites persons who briefly touched each other's lives long ago in a way that had a profound impact on them... "We'll Meet Again," I think it's called.

About the slave inventory - I've seen them too, for years. Recently though, I found one that belonged to one of my North Georgia ancestors. It does feel different when there's a personal connection to the names on the page. Worse even than having Loyalists in the family tree! :eek: :p

mugwortismy cat and Figgs like this.
  17. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Go to YouTube......they have them. Put "Finding Your Roots" the Search box. I see there is the one GrannyB and I are talking about above re Samberg. Here is the link. It was fascinating!!

(Oops, didn't know the whole program would show up.......is that OK?? That way people can see it who can't get it.)

GrannyBarb likes this.
  18. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

HAH!! My Loyalist was a very important man......so there!! :p:D He got TWO 100-acre farms here in Ontario for fighting with the British and as the aide-de-camp to General Brock!! I could get the designation of UE for descendant of a United Empire Loyalist!! You have something like that in the US, right? Daughters of something or other??

I found that Ron's ancestor's on both sides owned 4 slaves each around 1820. They had to send Slave Returns (like Income Tax Returns) to England listing all the details. One was of particular value to us because when Jose Maria Figueroa married a woman from another Island, she brought them as part of
    her dowry and the document gave their date of marriage, name of the Island and so on.

And on the other side, Wilkin Cooper was an executor for an Estate and it was disconcerting at first, but the chattels included the slaves. But it was a fact of life at that time. Slavery ended in all British countries in 1835 btw. Not 1865. That was only the US.

GrannyBarb likes this.
  19. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

I put the link out for YouTube and didn't realize it would enable people to see the whole show from a week ago on here. Enjoy!! Samberg was especially interesting!!

Just discovered that last night's show was on there too. Felicity Huffman and Williams

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    GrannyBarb likes this.
  20. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Consider the scare mongering that comes along with every new fad ..like immunisation for instance.

Bay Horse and annabel like this.