Fold 3

Discussion in 'British Army' started by ColinA, Apr 14, 2019.

1. ColinA

ColinA Well-Known Member

Ancestry has suggested these 3 references for a relative. I just wondered if getting these will reveal anything new. After all, I know when the poor chap died (1943).

1625: Far East: Borneo and Malaya; Lists and Copies of Death Records

2: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Anholm-Bairstow

1504: Far East: Changi POW Camp, Singapore,etc; Burial Returns, Death Certificates, Hospital Records.

2. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

They do a 7 day free trial.

3. ColinA

ColinA Well-Known Member

Trouble is I had a trial a while back! (I suppose I have answered my own question.):D

Ma-dotcom and Sis like this.
  4. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

They continue to 'pop up' in my emails. I do not see the need to have an extra sub on top of Ancestry, so those early travelers to USA may just have to remain a mystery.

Dogsday likes this.
  5. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

I think Fold3 may be free access until tomorrow (Monday) but don't know what records are covered. Something I saw skimming over Facebook earlier.

Dogsday likes this.
  6. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

Anything I can help find?

Ma-dotcom and Sis like this.
  7. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Thank you Barb, at the moment I am following some of my Phillips lines which may be part of the reason I have so many 'cousins- mainly 4th' showing up in USA. I do know some of them who went there but had left off looking some time ago to concentrate on those still in USA.
    At least I am finally filling out some of those lines I let dangle so long ago.

I shall certainly call your name if things become imminently find-worthy. most of them probably too recent for available records. They seem to spread neatly across the middle of the map. ;) USA cousins.JPG

GrannyBarb likes this.
  8. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Just a heads up if you do decide to take a sub out with Fold3.

Fold3 is an American based company, so this involves payments abroad.

A few weeks ago I was going to join Fold3, went to make my payment but it kept declining it. I then got a text message on my phone off the fraud squad asking if my card was being used fraudulently and showing me 3 payments. It asked if I recognised the payments Y/N. I text back N as I had only requested 1 payment and it was showing 3. Then I got a call from the fraud squad. They said they had stopped my card because of my response. I said that I had only made one payment request and it was showing 3. They then explained that the 2 other payments were payments I had made to my local supermarket and they were sent as proof that It was my card. They told me that the one payment to the supermarket included a £20 cash back. I told them that yes that was correct, and the other payment they quoted was for my grocery shop I had done at the weekend. All this being dealt with I told them that the requested payment to Fold3 was legitimate. They unblocked my card and said that if I still wanted to pay Fold3 that it would now go through but I would need to resubmit it. Well after all that I couldn't be bothered. But good that my banks fraud squad are on the ball.

Flook, Sandiep, Bay Horse and 6 others like this.
  9. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

I didn't realise the fraud squad would text you I would think that was a scam :(
    you hear so much about scams these days

Ma-dotcom and Chimp like this.
  10. Chimp

My bank has my phone number. The bank initially sent me the first message, then I received a message from my bank telling me that I would be contacted by text by a certain number, which also came through on my banks messages. He also asked a load of security questions, just like the bank does when you phone them, and I doubt that a scammer would know that I had had £20 cash back and the name of the supermarket. It's a local supermarket and there's only a couple of them in the area and nowhere else in the country. Actually looking back through my messages I have quite a few messages off my bank, usually telling me when their online banking will be down and when it is back up and running again or when the price of my package goes up. I have just had to amend my rental payments to my landlady, which I did on line, I had a message off them to tell me that I had amended my payment. I even get messages to tell me when my online statements are ready to view.

I have all the messages from my bank on my phone under the name of the bank, if it had come through in a new message and not under the bank name then I would have worried, but as this message was in the same original message which was started back in January I felt ok, if it hadn't then I would have been worried.

Ma-dotcom and Sandiep like this.
  11. Sandiep

we do get emails from our bank but never with any links so we have to go log on ……….. guess I am getting a bit paranoid these days :eek:

Chimp likes this.
  12. Chimp

I don't get links either. I don't have online banking on my phone, some days I can barely remember my name let alone my login code, and it would mean me carrying my pin sentry device with me.
    Good for you, you can never be too careful.

Sandiep likes this.
  13. Sandiep

Nor me nor my little amazon tablet wont use the cashpoints either
    eek didn't realise just how paranoid I am:nailbiting::D:D

Chimp likes this.
  14. ColinA

ColinA Well-Known Member

Sis likes this.
  15. ColinA

ColinA Well-Known Member

If a serviceman was captured in Singapore and became a POW in 1942, how might it be that they were buried in Kanchanaburi War Cemetery, Thailand (1943)? Obviously there was a POW camp there.

16. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

To quote Wiki, 'Kanchanaburi War Cemetery is the main prisoner of war (POW) cemetery for victims of Japanese imprisonment while building the Burma Railway'.

My friend's dad was on the Burma Railway. :(

Daft Bat likes this.
  17. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

To work on the Burma Railway.

The movement of POWs northward from Changi Prison in Singapore and other prison camps in Southeast Asia began in May 1942. After preliminary work of airfields and infrastructure, construction of the railway began in Burma on 15 September 1942 and in Thailand in November.

ColinA and Bay Horse like this.