For you in Aus

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Blackmogs, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Oh, poor dog. We haven’t had hail, thank goodness, just lovely steady rain. The pot plants have been sent out to get a good drink and a wash. And tomorrow we won’t have to shower with a bucket in there to catch some water for the garden. If we don’t get a substantial rain event then we will be on 120 litres of water per day, each, from May and no outside watering at all. One town, I have no idea where, will be only allowed to have 90 second showers. By the time the water comes through the pipes hot, it will be over.

2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

3. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Didn't this time, 'cos we haven't had any for ages.:(

4. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Oh dear, I thought our cooler bits had come from your way as well. :(

5. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

We did have cooler bits, but now its gone a bit hot.:eek:

6. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Just before 5 pm yesterday we had a storm and torrential rain, the two of the three dogs were around my feet they were that frightened, the young one was too but only because the other were there. I woke up around 5 am this morning to hear rain coming over in waves, it's 11.50 am and it's now just raining hard not torrential, my garden must be giving a sigh of relief.

All three dogs are of course indoors as is the cat, Garth, he is asleep, lording it on the settee, where he is not supposed to be, I have to leave him there because if he gets down on the floor he gets no peace, Chance the youngest dog, loves to have play fights with Garth, so Garth gets very little peace. Fortunately Garth is a very good natured cat and he obviously has a very close bond with not only Chance but all three dogs.

When I went down to the shops this morning I had to go by car and still needed top take an umbrella, so I've missed my morning walk.

Ma-dotcom, Nightryder, AnnB and 4 others like this.
  7. Archie's Mum

But not the coffee ;) :)

8. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Oh no, come rain or shine I'll get that coffee, my life is so simple, that the cup of coffee is the highlight of my day. :rolleyes: :D

It's weird you know, I have an aversion to write "that that" e.g. "simple, that that cup of coffee is", don't know why unless it's some grammar that I've picked up subconsciously. :)

Ma-dotcom, MollyMay, Daft Bat and 2 others like this.
  9. Archie's Mum

I guess it’s all in the delivery.

10. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

How about this, then:

"It is true for all that that that that that that that refers to is not the same that that that that refers to."

Found (with an explanation) at
    Code:
    https://www.englishclub.com/ref/esl/Power_of_7/7_Thats_2948.php
    In other news, Orange (and Dubbo) got a mention on the BBC this morning. Apparently someone's vacuum cleaner went into reverse or something and a whole heap of dust was blowing around. Hope you've managed to dig yourselves out.

11. Archie's Mum

Well I have no idea where your BBC got that from. The dust storm came nowhere near Orange. It was a doozy though but not here.
    It is amazing how the news gets screwed along the way. Some celebrity posted a map of Oz with fires everywhere over the country....in a word...NO.
    I’m trying very hard to bite my tongue here but this is NOT unprecedented. Fires are part of our summer. It’s called ‘bush fire season’ They were just more intense because of the drought. And yes we have lost a great deal of our precious wildlife which is why we are going to cull as many feral animals as possible to give our own fauna half a chance to recover. Most of the feral animals were brought here to entertain the well off emigrants of the time. Deer, foxes, wild horses. Pet cats and dogs that wandered off and bred.
    We are still open for business.

Nightryder, Chimp, Ma-dotcom and 2 others like this.
  12. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

It's on the website here - about a quarter of the way down the page:
    Code:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-51170994
    This seems to be more or less what I heard this morning.

13. Archie's Mum

There you go. Goes to show you can’t always trust the news. Dubbo is 2 hours north of here. They got the dust as well as Parkes and Nyngan. We got rain, about 19 mls and there was no dust in the gauge. Not sure I would be very impressed with that in my house. :mad:
    Still biting my tongue but the wet weather is normal too. In the north of Oz, it will be the wet season soon. The northern parts including the top bit of the north coast of NSW will experience floods. All this before it is said to be ‘unprecdented’. It’s Australia, it happens.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  14. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

On the subject of dust, the other day my daughter remarked how much "muck" there was in the dogs outside water bowl, we thought it had washed down through the mesh shade cloth of the Pergola. Yesterday I happened to glance in the Bird Bath, it had a thick layer of brown dirt in the bottom which rather surprised me, seeing as how I had cleaned the bird bath out in the middle of last week and filled it with clean fresh water.

Weird weather still happening, Wednesday a deluge of rain, Thursday dry and a temperature, the last time I had looked at my weather station, of 38.8 C, today, Friday, showers of heavy rain but a temperature down to 24.3 C.

When I walked down for my coffee today I played Russian Roulette with the weather, due to my self over rated intellect I figured I could nip into the local supermarket, then get my coffee and be home before the next shower. I'm, dead, I got the bullet, got my coffee, just crossed the main road and down it came. I managed to shelter for a while under a Real Estate office awning but had to give up and run the gauntlet, or rather walk it, got soaked but at least it was warm.

burt, AnnB, MollyMay and 5 others like this.
  15. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Nice day here today for Australia Day weekend (26th), it was 27 C when I went out this morning and it was great to look up and see sky and clouds rather than smoke haze.

Quite a bit of rain last night, it's amazing how quickly the once sickly looking grass in the nearby park has greened up.

My pot plants (plants in pots that is :)) and the plants in tubs have all picked up nicely.

The only drawback to the rain as far as I'm concerned is that I can't put the dogs in the back garden so that they can have all day to let off steam, they'll get too dirty, especially the youngest one, Chance, she loves to dig darn her. :mad: :)

Archie's Mum, Half Hour, AnnB and 4 others like this.
  16. Archie's Mum

We have just spent 4 days in Sydney and came home to it seems 1 inch of red dust over everything. You could not see the colour of my front porch tiles under all the dust and what makes it worse is that we can’t use the hose to wash anything down. The dust seeps into everything. I’m just a bit over it. At least the western train line is open again after burnt out trees fell on the tracks. What a mess.
    Hoping for more rain but that just makes the dust turn to mud.
    On a lighter note, my trip to Sydney ended with the purchase of some much coveted expensive coloured pencils.....:D can’t wait to use them and the decision to never go to Sydney again. The traffic is awful. Except of course for art supplies.;)

Findem, MollyMay, AnnB and 5 others like this.
  17. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Would you believe we even had some red dust over here.

Archie's Mum likes this.
  18. Archie's Mum

Derek, it’s everywhere. :mad:

Findem likes this.
  19. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Fortunately ours wasn't an inch think just a light dusting as far as I know, I didn't discover it until after the rain when I discovered the remains on an outdoor table.

This weather seems to have been good for my Cymbidium Orchid, it was my wife's favourite, over the last 12 years since my wife died I've given that Orchid extra special attention, it was a massive plant in a large tub. That pesky dog, Chance, pulled it off the retaining wall down the garden then tore it out of the pot. She doesn't realise how lucky she is that I didn't catch her in the act, I love the darn dog to bits but I get very angry when she is destructive.

Anyway I separated two of the parts that looked OK, planted them in separate pots and put them on the front verandah where Chance cannot get to them, they have now come on great, shoots about 300 mm high.

Ma-dotcom, AnnB, Daft Bat and 3 others like this.
  20. Archie's Mum

An inch thick was a slight exaggeration but it is still coming. More on the front porch this morning. Some wonderful rain yesterday afternoon. We sat on the back balcony with a glass of red cordial and watched it come across the hills. The bird life out there is lovely. We spotted in our neighbours half dead silver birch two king parrots, half a dozen or so rainbow lorikeets, a pair of top knot pigeons, starlings, three or four honey eaters and a few sparrows. In our plum tree lots of tiny little silver eyes hopping about pecking little holes in the plums and out the front (away from the dog) our lovely magpie family.

Ma-dotcom, AnnB, Daft Bat and 2 others like this.