Foundling Child

Discussion in 'County Cork' started by Ma-dotcom, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Today I have been through all of my previous post-hopefully- to see if I did in fact post this before. If I missed it please forgive me & just skip over :oops: I just managed to delete part of the record I'd saved for a Baptism in Feb. 1939 but found this for same person with same sponsors.
    In trying to find the 1839 baptism of my Gt. G'Mother, from Cork- [according to her marriage certificate,] I came across one for a foundling child baptised in 1838 giving names of sponsors- a Silvester Murphy & Kate Duggin.'Pike' written in next column, seemingly for areas. [My Gt.G'Mother arrived alone in Australia -it is said- in 1855, aged 16.]

How would anyone research this child? Would she have been placed in a foster home or Orphanage?
    Are there available records for such a search?

Jane Murphy
    Birth year -
    Baptism year 1838
    Baptism date 15 Dec 1838
    Parish Kilmichael
    Diocese Cork and Ross
    County Cork Country Ireland
    Ireland Roman Catholic Parish Baptisms
    Cork & Ross.Kilmichael.p 4797.00425.pdf
    15 Foundling Jane Murphy
    sponsors Silvester Murphy & Kate Duggin.

2. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Sometimes they were left at the church or some such places:( Sorry that's not much help.

3. she04

she04 Active Member

Yes or left at a nun run establishment. Some babies back then were even left at a pilgrimage site, then discovered by a passer by. Good luck in your search x x

Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  4. Ma-dotcom

Thank you Sis & Sheila, so probably no known orphanages or adoption places one can search? Perhaps there was a 'Barnardos' type outfit for shipping them off to other places.
    Guess I'll have to wait a bit longer & see if my 'Jane' can toss any help my way.

Sis likes this.
  5. she04

she04 Active Member

I must check something out for you, but I mind reading somewhere that the sponsors could be connected in some way (in some cases). Either related in some way or the ones who found her. It just a wee idea x x

Joanne, Ma-dotcom and Sis like this.
  6. she04

she04 Active Member

By the way, a lot of nun run establishments here would have shipped out the child asap, or had her adopted/fostered. Keep in mind that in some cases (depending on circumstances of birth of child) the nuns were well known for doctoring records to suit them x x

7. crazycatlady22

crazycatlady22 Well-Known Member

I have had no luck at all searching for a foundling child in Italy. Also, I believe, in Italy every child from a certain area was given the same last name.

Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  8. Ma-dotcom

Taa Sheila, I intended to ask if sponsors in some way were rather like God Parents who over saw the child's upbringing- 'in the faith' etc. & maybe checked up on it's welfare in growing years, (unless handed over or adopted.) Guessed that the name Murphy in this case came from the Sponsor Sylvester.

I don't know why this child appeals to me, perhaps because I have never heard anything o my G.G'Ma's early life. She claimed William as Father but I sometimes wondered if that came from her hubby's name & whether she knew or not. Also at times clergy were confused :(

They named their only daughters Mary Ann & Lily Elizabeth. Her Husband Wm Mitchell had only one sister,-Jane. Had hopes of finding a Mother so named for my Jane, other than an occasional William & Mary Murphy- no luck.

Any littly bits you can offer will be so appreciated. :)

Bay Horse, she04 and Sis like this.
  9. she04

she04 Active Member

Before 1845, records are very scarce as a lot was damaged in fires. If any part of the record survives they will be held at national library of Ireland at Dublin, or in some cases still held at the church/nunnery. If its possible the child had any connection to COI records before 1845 if any survived, are held at national archive of Ireland in Dublin or the church. Pre 1858 records on administration etc regarding the nun establishment (if you could find out which one), are in index form only now, as the were burned on purpose by the government. These are held at PRONI and GRO Dublin.
    Keep in mind that if the child wasn't already baptised before the nuns took her in, it was often named after a nun. Murphy oh dear, that must be the second most common surname here. Do some digging around on your sponsors and hopefully you might strike lucky. If there is a "lunatic asylum" often the mother that had a child out of wedlock, and the father if child abandoned her etc, the mother would be placed there by her family. X x

Sis and Bay Horse like this.
  10. Ma-dotcom

Thank you Sheilah, I did find a Sylvester Murphy -a Merchant seaman, later a marriage but that chap would have been only 12 in 1838. Kate much harder not knowing if she was a single Lass or older married woman. Duggin/Duggan inter changeable in records I've seen. No proof they were both of Cork either.
    I may have to leave this Jane until further enlightenment shines upon me. Perhaps the 'real' Jane will step forward.:D

Sis likes this.