Frederick Charles Gale and Nelly Guthrie

Discussion in 'London' started by Peregrine, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Peregrine

Peregrine Well-Known Member

I can't place an Edward and Mary in the family, I have a number of Edwin's, none of whom married a Mary, and the only Edward is a 1st cousin 1 x removed born in Australia. I wonder who they are, ho hum I will need to do more research.

janetbooth and Ma-dotcom like this.
  2. Peregrine

I have not yet managed to find the family of Edward and Mary in the 1911 census and I am not doing well with finding any births for the children that match the 1901 census details. The nearest I came was for Ada Gale: GALE, ADA; Mother’s maiden name: POWELL; GRO Reference: 1897 J Quarter in LAMBETH; Volume 01D Page 334.

Might have to leave them for a while, my shoulders are sore from sitting at the laptop for too long. I am intrigued as to what their connection could be to Frederick Charles Gale and his family.

3. AnnaJenny

AnnaJenny Well-Known Member

Did watermen ever live on their vessels in the same way as the canal folk did? If they did could the missing people be anywhere along the river route?
    Just a thought as I have some watermen on the Thames that are on my 'to do' list.

Elsiesgirl likes this.
  4. Peregrine

No, they lived on shore, at least mine did. Watermen were rather like taxi drivers, taking people up and down the Thames. Lightermen carried cargo to and from the ships. I found the apprenticeship records for my many watermen and lightermen on Find My Past. There is a little book called "My Ancestors were Thames Watermen" by James W Legon that I found useful, as well as a few websites, which I will look up tomorrow morning or you. It is now midnight here down under.
    P.S. The City of London Dockland Museum has some interesting displays and information about the Thames Watermen.

Ma-dotcom and AnnaJenny like this.
  5. AnnaJenny

Many thanks Peregrine for the info.(especially as you were writing it at midnight) I have a sub for FmP so can get searching and will order the book.
    Jenny

6. Peregrine

AnnaJenny re watermen and lightermen I found the following web site particularly useful which the author of the book I previously mentioned is/was involved with: http://www. parishregister.com/watermen_and_lightermen.html

The Company of Watermen and Lightermen web site also has some advice on tracing your watermen and lightermen ancestors: http:// watermenscompany.com/the-company/tracing-watermen-lightermen-ancestors/

Ma-dotcom and AnnaJenny like this.
  7. Peregrine

Word of caution the parishregister.com web site is looking a little insecure it is coming up with a word of warning about not being secure at present.

AnnaJenny and Ma-dotcom like this.
  8. AnnaJenny

Thank You again. No ironing will be done in my house for a little while. I unearthed my rather scanty notes last night so am now ready for the chase.
    Jenny