Frederick George Biles

Discussion in 'Dorset' started by mugwortismy cat, Jul 27, 2016.

1. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

was baptised 29 Aug 1880 in Powerstock, son of George Edgar Biles and Mary Ann (nee Clark)

I have him in all censuses except 1911; in 1901 he was a Thatcher and Hurdle Maker (as was his father), although someone has overwritten this with Ag Lab

He died 10 Aug 1915 at Gallipoli. I have found some Military records on Ancestry but I can't seem to find the Attestation records/Pension records -- he was a Private in the Hampshire Regiment, 10th Battalion, service # 10303

I don't know when he joined up, it may have been prior to the war, apparently he attested at Winchester and was born in and living at Powerstock (this according to the UK Soldiers died in the Great War dataset). So although I am missing the service records and the cwgc did not have any family details I am pretty sure it is him.

Just wondering if anyone can help find him in 1911?

2. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Could this be him in 1911, Mugsy? 35 Hendrefadog Street Tylorstown South Wales
    All children born Tylorstown. RG14; Piece: 32393; Schedule Number: 276

Frederick George Biles 32, coal miner hewr, Symondsbury
    Emma Biles 38, Bradpole Dorset, married 10yrs, had 4 children all still living
    Emily Mable Biles 8,
    Allbert George Biles 7
    Frederick John Biles 4
    Gertrude May Biles 2
    John Arthur Davies 32

3. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Drat! It's not him is it, perhaps a cousin!

mugwortismy cat likes this.
  4. mugwortismy cat

Not him :( that Fredk Geo married Emma Hansford in 1900 and his father was John. I'd like it to be him, another link to the Hansfords would be great.

According to the 1901 census my FG was still single, although that is puzzling. It seems two Fredk Geo Biles marriages occurred in 1900, and so far as I can tell my FG is one of only two FGs that could be marrying at that time :confused:

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  5. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

It's odd as the other FG married either Mary or Sarah Alice and I cannot find that pairing.

6. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

There is a site in which I found your Frederick George Biles. His wife was indeed Emma Hansford and he joined the 10th (service) battalion of the Royal Hampshires in Sept 1914 in Winchester. After 8 months training he sailed form Liverpool 6 July 1915 on the Transylvania. I have kept the site if you would like me to forward it onto you.
    According to the Dorset Echo and of course they could have made the same mistake with his marriage.....:oops: as me....:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    Ma-dotcom likes this.
  7. Archie's Mum

These are in South Africa......darn.
    Thought I had it nailed...The Echo was wrong.:(

8. Archie's Mum

Sent the link via PM. Hope it's OK. Wont find him in 1911 I'm afraid.:(

9. Archie's Mum

According to Ancestry Select Dorset Parish registers, Sarah Alice Syer married William Frederick Smith. Which leaves the other Frederick George Biles marrying Mary Randall....

10. Archie's Mum

If he was single in 1901 then how about a marriage of Fred Biles to Clara Alice Brine 1903 June qtr Weymouth. Another forum archive (hhhmmm) has this as well as 1911 census with Clara and a son Frederick John age 1

11. mugwortismy cat

Did another search and found the birth reg of a Fred George Biles, so he may be the second 1900 marriage o_O ?

Thanks for sending the link, an interesting read as far as the military info goes. Not impressed though with the research into the family :sceptical:. After all he didn't marry Emma and what brother Oscar in 1897 (he was the son of Herbert and Charlotte)?!

Oh well, at least it's not just me struggling :(

Bay Horse and Archie's Mum like this.
  12. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

I could be way off track here.... but there is a Frederick Bogles (FMP transcription) on RG14 PN6089 SN110

He is a single lodger age 30 - labourer at Plantation Road, West Willow, Romney Hants
    (Ezra Egbert Elkins b1866 head of household).
    The original looks more like Boyles, and I just wondered if Biles spoken with a Dorset accent could sound like Boyles.

13. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

I can't really find anything. The 1911 census, his parents - without him. I also looked and can't find any service records for him either. I found him after he had died though on roll calls. Perhaps his records were destroyed by the fire. He may have joined up before the war. It is so frustrating . I have a couple of soldiers too I can't find their records either

14. mugwortismy cat

It's possible MollyMay, Boyles is not a Dorset name at all, there are no Fred Boyle(s) born in Dorset, but there are three Fred(k) Biles born c1881. None actually born in Bridport, as this man claims, though it is possible that someone living away from Dorset might say Bridport rather than Powerstock (which was actually in Beaminster RD, but 'foreigners' are more likely to have heard of Bridport and they are pretty close).

So do I go with it? Put it in notes maybe, if only it said he was a Thatcher rather than labourer :confused:

Eta: Just had a thought that Bogles might be Bugler (which is a Dorset name), but there doesn't seem to be a close fit amongst the Fred Buglers and much less of them than I'd have thought.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  15. mugwortismy cat

I also like this idea @MollyMay because West Wellow is not far from Winchester where he enlisted, and if he lived in Hampshire this goes some way towards explaining why he joined the Hampshires and not the Dorsets

16. MollyMay

The Hampshire connection was another reason for me throwing this one into the pot. Yes it is a shame that he is just entered as a general labourer.
    In the absence of any definite sightings, I would enter it as a note of a possible census entry for him.

17. MollyMay

I did not find his attestation papers but Anc has the UK Register of Soldier's Effects with an entry for Frederick George:)
    And his monies went to his father George E - so he is your man:). With the absence of payment to a widow it looks like he was unmarried too.

18. Archie's Mum

Maybe the Dorset Echo needs a genealogist. ;)
    Well done MollyMay 8(:-)

mugwortismy cat and MollyMay like this.