French Birth Record

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Lolly, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Lolly

Lolly New Member

I am trying to find a birth record for my gt gt grandmother, Jannatta or Jeannette Ricks. She was born in France in 1816, and as she had an older sister born in Ostend in September 1815, and a younger one born in Hanover in March 1817, I'm assuming she would have been born in June!

Her parents were Otto Ferdinand Diedrick Ricks from Hanover, and Colletta Bonhardt/Boonaert from Ostend. Diedrick Ricks was in the King's German Legion and fought at Waterloo.

I would be grateful for any suggestions. Many thanks.

2. Doug

Doug Administrator. The Main Man. Staff Member

Hi Lolly,

Unfortunately I have no ancestors from France (though my taste for champagne would indicate otherwise) so have no experience searching their records.

However, this may assist you (though it appears you really need to know the location of the event):

http://
    genealogy.about.com/od/france/a/french_ancestry_3.htm

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  3. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Thanks for this link Doug. Hubby has 'supposedly French ancestors and just maybe this will help point me in the right direction :)

Ma-dotcom and Doug like this.
  4. Erin

Erin Member

Hi Lolly, I live in France (and am also fluent in French) so am happy to look up any records you need help with. Do you know where in France she was born at all?

Ostend is now in Belgium but very, very close to the French border. It changed hands often (being part of France from 1746) and in 1816 Ostend (and in fact all of Belgium) became part of Holland. If your g-g-grand mother was born there then there's a good chance it'll be in the Belgian records. Interestingly, it is in the Flemish part of Belgium but (if she was born there) then the records may very well be in French.

Mealymoo and Bay Horse like this.
  5. Lolly

Lolly New Member

Hello Erin, thank you very much, this is so interesting. The Belgian records show the birth of a daughter Colette born 25.9.1815 (at 17.00!) in Ostend, father Diedrick Ricks, mother Colletta Bonhardt. The record for the birth of another daughter, Johanna Christiana Henrietta Ricks on 14 March 1817 in Hanover is also correct (on Family Search). The 1871 census for Salford shows "Jennette" Spong, age 54, born France (British subject), and her death certificate gives her age as 57 on March 9 1874, so a birth date of about September 1816 could be correct, although it seems unlikely, if not impossible, that 3 children could be born within 18 months at that time, assuming that mother and children stayed with the army as they moved round Europe. As I haven't found any further information on Colette Ricks, born 1815, I had wondered if Jannatta and Colette were one and the same; many of the Ricks children had 3 or 4 names and were known by the last one, so it's possible. Now that you've explained the history of Ostend, it's also possible that Jannatta thought that she had been born in France! I had thought that I could find the birth by tracking Diedrick's movements in the army, but by March 1816 the King's German Legion had disbanded, and he was in the Hanoverian Rifle Guard, presumably in Hanover, so that didn't help me. If you are able to trace any birth records with the details I have given you I would be very grateful. Thank you again for your help.

HildaW and Ma-dotcom like this.
  6. Erin

Erin Member

Bonhardt looks like it could be a Germanification of the Flemish name Boonaert. Just had a quick look and this name (and others ending in "aert" are/were not uncommon in the Flanders region (which is now in northern Belgium), so it fits with where they were born (Ostend or Oostende in Flemish)).

I'm going to have a wander around the Belgian archives website and see what I can find. :)

HildaW and Ma-dotcom like this.
  7. Erin

Erin Member

Lolly, I haven't forgotten you and am still trying to find some information on these people in Ostend. Proving a bit difficult, but I'm still at it. :)

8. Lolly

Lolly New Member

I still haven't been able to find my gt gt grandmother's birth records and would be very grateful for any further suggestions. Many thanks.

9. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Hi Lolly,

I don't know if you have seen it, but there is a member named braysister on Ancestry who has this family in their tree. They are based in Ontario, Canada and have a lot of information about them.

If you have not already been in contact with her, it might be worth doing so. :)

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  10. Lolly

Lolly New Member

We do know each other through Ancestry and also spent a wonderful evening together when they visited the UK about 5 years or so ago. Many thanks for looking.

mugwortismy cat and Daft Bat like this.