Gale newspaper collection additions

Discussion in 'Newspapers & Other Publications' started by mikejee, Jul 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. mikejee

mikejee Well-Known Member

Have not seen these additions mentioned , so in case it applies to anyone here will do so. The Gale newspaper collection is a collection from the British library available in institutions and libraries that pay the subscription. Some British libraries allow remote access to it to those of their members with an approved library card. Within the last two weeks the newspapers included have been considerably expanded, including some as far back as 1741 and some as far forward as 1950 (though the number of later ones is still very limited). I am not sure of how many extra papers have been added, but in an area in which I am particularly interested, Birmingham, where before it only covered the Birmingham Post, it has added the Birmingham Gazette and the Birmingham Journal. It still has far less resources than the paid for British Newspaper archive, but the range is definitely much better than before for those who have access to it

2. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Thanks Mike, this reminded me :rolleyes:that we can search these newspapers to a degree through the National Library of Australia. A library card is needed and I was able to get one through their website even though its in Canberrra and I am in West Aus. This is their description of what we can search:
    Type
    website
    Publisher
    Gale Cengage Learning
    Description
    Allows cross-searching of the Gale range of historical newspaper collections subscribed to by the National Library of Australia. Users can simultaneously search or browse across the Times Digital Archive, the Sunday Times Digital Archive, the 17th and 18th Century Burney Collection, the Financial Times Historical Archive, the 19th Century British Newspapers (Parts I - IV), the 19th Century UK Periodicals Series I New Readerships and Series II Empire, the Illustrated London News Historical Archive, the Economist Historical Archive and Punch Historical Archive.

How do I access this resource?
    Access to this resource is restricted to National Library of Australia registered users and/or users located in the NLA building. If you have a library card, try logging in. How do I
    Type
    website
    Publisher
    Gale Cengage Learning
    Description
    Allows cross-searching of the Gale range of historical newspaper collections subscribed to by the National Library of Australia. Users can simultaneously search or browse across the Times Digital Archive, the Sunday Times Digital Archive, the 17th and 18th Century Burney Collection, the Financial Times Historical Archive, the 19th Century British Newspapers (Parts I - IV), the 19th Century UK Periodicals Series I New Readerships and Series II Empire, the Illustrated London News Historical Archive, the Economist Historical Archive and Punch Historical Archive.
    How do I access this resource?

Access to this resource is restricted to National Library of Australia registered users and/or users located in the NLA building. If you have a library card, try logging in.

gillyflower and Ma-dotcom like this.
  3. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I tried Gale via National Library card recently Sis didn't find much on offer but that may have been just me.:( There are just ot enough hours in the day to see everything now available online.

I've been trying to write an email for past two hours & keep interrupting myself to look up & check something in my Family files, then I look for something which hasn't been confirmed or researched further. All because I contacted a Gentleman via ancestry & he kindly messaged back with lots of info. I still haven't finished it, just stopped by to make sureI had forum link written properly -got to pass it on don'tcha know? ;)

Sis likes this.
  4. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

I will confess to not having had a look for quite a while. But I am at work so don't have library card details with me. Will take a look over the weekend. Need some me time and what better way to spend it:)

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  5. Peregrine

Peregrine Well-Known Member

I use my NLA card regularly to access all sorts of things, including the 19th C British newspapers. But I always find it strange going to the Gale collection, because Gale is my maiden name!

As for being contacted by people via Ancestry that is how I get distracted hither and thither away from what I had intended to be working on. And then I spend hours and hours trying to make sure everything is hunky dorey. Yesterday a man thanked me for responding so quickly when everyone else he'd tried to contact hadn't replied at all.

Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  6. crazycatlady22

crazycatlady22 Well-Known Member

I have a Lancashire Library Card, but I cannot remember how I got it. I can access all of their online files with it.

Sis likes this.
  7. Blackmogs

Blackmogs Moderator. General Dogs(cats)body. Staff Member

I cant remember when I looked at Gale but I was hopeless. It made no sense to me at all. I have a track record for being rubbish with searching
    catalogues though.

Sis likes this.
  8. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I once requested a Liverpool ibrary card, a chap wrote back& gave nme a number to use & said if I wanted card to ask again-[this was a bout the time of a biggie Library makeover there] card number was no use at all. I woosed out & didn't bother- too hard basket.

sounds like my last two days :D

Sis and Peregrine like this.