Gentry, nobility, clerical

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by annabel, Jan 6, 2018.

1. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

I have a William Brooke who described himself as a gentleman in his will.
    In the 1841 Pigots directory, possibly the same man has his address as Union St, Maidstone, under the above title.

Do those two descriptions mean that he was someone who had done well in his chosen profession, but not necessarily a noble or a cleric? If so, any ideas how I can find out what that profession was?

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

In my experience, it is someone of independent means. However, how those means were acquired does vary.

It might be that they have retired from business and now receive a (good) pension or it might be that they are living on an allowance that has been granted to them or even that they used to have a business that they have now sold and are thus living off the income from the capital.

Not very helpful, I'm afraid.... :(

Bonzo Dog, Ma-dotcom, Sis and 2 others like this.
  3. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

Hi annabel.. You don't say when he died or how old he was... When I looked at the 1841 census for Maidstone there is a 30 year old William Brooke who was a brick layer, another one ( age 45) worked for the railway and he lived in Ramsgate and there are 2 in Maidstone who are children. Also one who was 30 and in Ramsgate who was single and a labourer.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  4. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

I have a number of Licensed Victuallers in tree and after retirement they are listed as Gentlemen,

annabel likes this.
  5. mikejee

mikejee Well-Known Member

You may well find retired crooks who have done well bein g described as gentlemen as they are of independent means. Come to think of it don't the MPS describe each other as "honorable gentlemen".Proves my point

Ma-dotcom, Bonzo Dog, Philb-c and 5 others like this.
  6. annabel

He died in 1847 and he was 77 if I have him right. I'm waiting for a death cert. I think I have him in 1841 - "ind"

Half Hour likes this.
  7. annabel

So I have his death cert and I had the right man. I'm stumped as to how to find out more about him.

This is all i know:
    William Brooke born about 1770, died 1847 Union Street, Maidenhead
    He was at Union street from at least 1835, a gent. There is also a John Brooke at Union Street
    in 1841 he was with a servant, variously Sarah or Elizabeth Butler, both about 65 born Kent
    No wife or children were mentioned in his will, apart from his one illegitimate son William
    He had a brother Thomas whose son was William, and sisters Ann and Elizabeth Brooke who were probably elderly spinsters, all in his 1845 will

Any ideas where to look next to help identify him pre 1835?

Chimp likes this.