George and William Aldridge of Stevenage

Discussion in 'Hertfordshire' started by annabel, Aug 22, 2020.

1. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

William Aldridge married Susan Collins in 1855 in Stevenage, and his father is reported to be George Aldridge - no image

In 1861 he is with his family in Hitchin, born 1823 in Stevenage (RG 9; Piece: 819; Folio: 121; Page: 5),
    As he is in 1871 (RG10; Piece: 407; Folio: 74; Page: 27)
    In 1881 he says he is born 1827 (RG11; Piece: 400; Folio: 52; Page: 15)

I cannot find a birth for William, but trees say he is the son of George Aldridge and Susannah Farey
    I found in HALS a marriage for these two in 1801 in Ippollitts

George is supposed to be the son of Smith Aldridge (Aldrich) and Sarah Harvey, but I can't find his baptism either. Siblings of George would be Smith baptised 1774 and possibly John born at around the same time

Aldridge is a name that can be mangled, but try as i might I can't prove or disprove this line. I would welcome any hints

2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

There is a tree out there that has John Aldridge, 1780-1849 father Smith Aldridge mother Sarah Harvey. This is saying that John Aldridge married Susannah Farey 1781-1835. Children of John and Susannah, MRy, John, Sarah, Anne, Elizabeth, William and Phoebe.
    Siblings of John are George, Edward, Susan and Emanuel. It’s a genealogyonline tree.....oliver-phillips. No sources except Ancestry trees
    Family Search has the baptism of Smith Aldridge father JOHN mother Susannah at Stevenage 30 Sept 1798. I wonder if John died then Susannah married George his brother

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  3. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Have PM'd you.

4. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

The actual parish register image of William's marriage to Susan COLLINS is on FMP so I cannot give you full details but his father's name is as reported and his occupation is Labourer. The parish register image of the only likely baptism is again available to view on FMP on 25 June 1820 at Stevenage. The first baptism for any child of George is in 1802 at Stevenage, again images available on FMP. Still searching for the marriage. However, burial images for both George & Susannah ALDRIDGE at Stevenage are on FMP, giving an approximate birthdate of 1781 for both. Baptism image at Stevenage on FMP for George ALDRIDGE in 1780 which supports the details shown in the Family Tree you have. It looks as if Susannah was baptised at Ippollitts, Hertfordshire in 1781 and was married to George there in 1801. All these records are available to view on FMP, so if they are your direct line it might be worthwhile getting a pay per view sub to track back the family tree.

Janet

5. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

Urgh! I have FMP and I looked for George before I posted. I didn't get any of this! What on earth am I doing wrong? :headbang:
    I'll have another look when I get home, thank you

6. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Been there, done that & got the t-shirt! I sometimes think my brain gets tired of looking at parish registers and the ilk and then decides it wants a rest and just refuses to function! That's my excuse anyway. Hope you have now found the appropriate records, Annabel.

Janet

annabel and Sis like this.