George Henry Dolby

Discussion in 'Berkshire' started by Amle, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Amle

Amle Well-Known Member

I am going back to the drawing board with this family as I seem to have trouble following them. I would like to find a death for George Henry Dolby. He was born around 1860 in Easthampstead, Berkshire. In 1880 he married a Martha Cordery I don't know what happened to her but by 1911 George Dolby was living with my relative Edith Cooper, she was recored as his housekeeper and had at least six children with him. By 1917 Edith was marrying a Bertie Johns and gave her address the same as the family home she shared with George Dolby in 1911 so did he die between these dates? I have looked honestly but can't see anything, can anyone help?
    Thanks Elizabeth

2. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

Well, there's a death in Easthampstead in 1923, for George H Dolby age 64. So it looks as though they just parted

3. Amle

Amle Well-Known Member

Thanks Mugwortismycat.
    It must be right I just was not thinking out of the box I was so sure she would not have married someone else unless George had died Wrong! these women were very independent really, it must take courage to do something like that. She was actually married to my great uncle and we don't know if he was even dead, although she records widow at her marriage. We've been there before and I still haven't worked it out but slowly it pieces together.
    Thanks again Elizabeth

4. mugwortismy cat

But it makes everything so much more fun this way!;)

Amle likes this.
  5. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Amle and Daft Bat like this.
  6. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman

There's an intriguing death for a George Henry Dolby in Eton RD (Bucks) in September Q 1904. He was 46. Just struck me as interesting.

7. mugwortismy cat

Flook

But Amle's G H Dolby was alive in 1911 so that can't be him.

:confused: Are you just trying to bamboozle us?

8. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman

No, not intentionally! I guess the one I found is probably the George Henry born in Grantham in 1857 but he'd moved a long way from Skillington in Lincs (1901 census) if it was him. It just struck me that Eton isn't a million miles away from Bracknell. Perhaps I should just go back in the corner, curl up and carry on dozing :).

Daft Bat and mugwortismy cat like this.
  9. Amle

Amle Well-Known Member

Aw Flook it is always good to look at people with similar names, you never know when the connect up. I don't know of any other George Henry Dolby though.
    Isn't Eton in Berkshire which is even more interesting or is there an Eton in Bucks?
    Anyway Flook take a nap if you really want to, dream well.
    Thanks Elizabeth

10. mugwortismy cat

I think it's one of those cases where boundary changes keep confusing us

Amle likes this.
  11. dolby66

dolby66 New Member

Hi, I just joined so still learning how to use this site.

Anyway, George H Dolby was my great granddad, Arthur his son was my granddad and George his son my dad, are you on Edith's side.

I'm looking for living relatives in Berkshire, as well as our tree, would love to here from you.

Thank you T.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2014
    Ma-dotcom likes this.
  12. Mutters

Mutters I am not bossy, I just have better ideas.

Welcome to the forum dolby66. I am sure Amle will be back on line soon and be pleased to catch up with you.

We cannot research for living folk, it's not allowed but you can have a private conversation with Amle and discuss cousins or living relatives.

Click on her avatar and then click the link 'Start a conversation'. She will reply to you privately when she returns.

13. Amle

Amle Well-Known Member

Hi Dolby66
    Welcome to Top Dog.
    I have quite a lot of information on the Dolby family. I am assuming your grandfather is Arthur born 1894 and died 1916. I am very tenuously related to the family through Edith, your great grandmother. Her first husband is my grandmothers brother. I got very side tracked with the family trying to find anything that lead me to find out what happened to my great uncle. There were so many twists and turns along the way.
    I will send you a private message and maybe I can help you some more. Great you found this site.
    Elizabeth

14. dolby66

dolby66 New Member

Thank you

15. dolby66

dolby66 New Member

I have a marriage certificate dated 1923 2nd marriage, and my dads birth cert 1931, so this must be a different Arthur, need more certificates, this is confusing, will be back soon. T.

16. Amle

Amle Well-Known Member

Dolby66
    There were a lot of Dolby's around the area. Do you know that your grandfather was Arthur Dolby son of Edith. I have a birth for Edith's son Arthur who was born 11 May 1894. He was actually registered as Arthur Cooper. His baptism in July that year records Arthur Cooper son of Edith Cooper single woman. Arthur's older sister Alice born 1892 was also registered As Alice Cooper but her baptism when she was a couple of weeks old says daughter of George and Edith Dolby as do younger siblings.
    Arthurs army papers recorded he joined up in 1916 and he was then using the name Dolby. He gave George Dolby as his next of kin. The address was the family home. Arthur states he was single and I have recorded that he died shortly after joining up.

Could someone if possible check these papers and confirm what I think they said. They were in pension records Arthur Dolby b 1895 birth Berkshire. Could Arthur have married in these last few months or died at all.
    Elizabeth