George Sexton - married at 16?

Discussion in 'Norfolk' started by annabel, Jan 10, 2016.

1. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

My ggg grandfather George Sexton was born about 1818 in Norwich, according to censuses
    From the same sources, it seems he had his first child George b 1834 in Southwark, with his wife Sarah born 1812 in Norwich.
    They had 7 children in Southwark and Newington before 1851 when they are in Newington HO107; Piece: 1567; Folio: 688; Page: 28
    Then 2 more kids are born in London, until all the next censuses when he is back in Heigham, Norfolk with the family until he dies, I think, in 1886

My question is, when did he get married, and was it in Norfolk? Was it really at 16, or even less?

2. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Hi Annabel,

Do you think these records are for your folks?

Parish Church of St Leonard, Shoreditch, Aug 26th 1845.
    George Sexton, full age, bachelor, shoemaker, Henry St?? (unsure) father George, shoemaker.
    Sarah Dye Kettle, full age, spinster, binder, same add. father James Kettle, sawyer.
    Witnesses: Geo Yarrow and Elizabeth Wrigglesworth.

And a baptism for Sarah Kettle, 30th Aug 1812, All Saints Norwich, dau of James Kettle and Sarah Dye

3. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Looking closely at the 1851 census sheet I think George's age is 13, not 17 as indexed on Ancestry. FMP have indexed his age as 13.

4. annabel

Well all the London action is in Southwark, so I'm not sure about Shoreditch. But he is a shoemaker
    Ah I thought it looked like 11 but that would have been too young. 13 would make his birth in 1838 and George snr 20 which is better

5. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Did you find them in 1841, Annabel?

6. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

George and Sarah seem to be in Castle St Southwark in 1841 with James 12mo and George 3mo, plus a 20 yr old James Sexton also a shoemaker and not born in county.
    Piece 1085, f 23 p4

7. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

Henry St was in Southwark and I think that Shoreditch, although on the other side of the river, isn't too far away.

Do you have any of the children's birth certs for Sarah's maiden name?

8. annabel

That does look good, although George junior's age is a little out.

Yes it's not too far, but as they never strayed from Southwark or Norwich, combined with the date being after 5 of the children were born, makes me nervous about it

No, good point. I'm trying to be a skinflint, but I may might have resort to getting my gg grandmother Rebecca's birth certificate in 1853

Grizel and Daft Bat like this.
  9. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

Yes you are right to be cautious!

However in both 1841 and 1851, Sarah's occupation was binder - as was Sarah Kettle's occupation on the 1845 marriage.

Perhaps they married away from Southwark because people there assumed they were already married. I guess the birth cert might be necessary when funds allow...

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  10. annabel

I hadn't thought of that. I'll have to get the cert now:D

11. annabel

I wondered if I might get somewhere if I looked into this older James, his age makes him look like a brother to the older George.
    I have not been able to find George's baptism, but if the marriage is right his father was George.

There are several baptism records for a James Sexton all with a date 16th July 1820 at Norwich St John at Sepulchre:
    England select births and christenings says he had a middle name of William, parents George and Ann
    Norfolk Bishops transcripts say George and Rose and not sure of the middle name. The picture on Ancestry is awful I can't see properly, but I think he is a shoemaker.

Is it anywhere else to see better? If it is Ann not Rose, there are a few other siblings which might help

12. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Hi Annabel, I looked at the Bishop's Transcripts on Family Search, I think James' parents are George and Ann, I zoomed in and changed the image using tools top right to invert which then displays in negative, it is for me easier to read, give it a go and see if you find it easier.

I also noticed George and Ann had a son baptised as XTMAS born 25th Dec, I wonder if XTMAS changed his name to George!

annabel likes this.
  13. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

No forget that, there's a Christmas Sexton on census returns who fits.

14. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

20 Feb. 1860.marriage St. Leonards, Shoreditch

James Sexton, 21-cordwainer father George Sexton,-cordwainer
    +Jane Pitman 19- shoe binder, father Charles Pitman= painter ?
    Wit's Charles Pitman + Sarah Ann Jones

15. annabel

Yes thanks, that looks like James the child of George in 1841

16. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Thinking that this could be your George's father, I followed Alfred through the census etc.

1841, Norwich St Giles
    George Sexton 45
    Susanah Sexton 18 [there is a baptism for her in 1822 dau of George and Ann]
    Alfred Sexton 15
    William Sexton 14
    Samuel Sexton 12
    Elizabeth Goodman 13

In 1851 he's with wife, Susan, at St Geo. Hanover Sq. HO107; Piece: 1475; Folio: 537; Page: 28
    Alfred Sexton 27, Norwich
    Susan Sexton 26, Bethnal Green, Middlesex

1861, St Geo. Hanover Sq. RG 9; Piece: 42; Folio: 116; Page: 12
    Alfred Sexton 37, coachman, Norwich
    Susan Sexton 39
    Rose Sexton 8, dau, St Geo. Han sq.
    Francois May 38, visitor

1871, Croydon. RG10; Piece: 848; Folio: 146; Page: 22
    Susannah Sexton 44, mar. Middlesex
    Rosa M Sexton 18, dau, unmarried, Middlesex
    (I think it says husband absent under Rose's name)

Alfred is also in Croydon, servant. RG10; Piece: 849; Folio: 7; Page: 7;

1881, Croydon, Alfred's wife is now Louisa??? unsure if it's Susan(na) with a different name
    Written as LEXTON, Alfred 56, Norwich, Louisa 57, London. RG11; Piece: 820; Folio: 125; Page: 49

1891, Alfred (mar) is alone, a licensed victualler in Croydon, 65, Norwich. Class: RG12; Piece: 593; Folio: 91; Page: 15;

Marriage: Christ Church London 16 Oct 1849.
    Alfred Sexton, bachelor, bootmaker, father George bootmaker
    Susannah Mathews, widow, father Isaac Hicks
    Witnesses: Isaac Hicks and GEORGE SEXTON (your ggg grandfather?)

Grizel and Ma-dotcom like this.
  17. annabel

Thank you that is looking good. I'll have to look into that some more

18. Rex

Rex New Member

I think you'll find that George was baptised as John on 8th Feb1818 (b7 Feb) at St John Sepulchre Norwich. I also believe that Alfred was baptised as Ethelbert on 2 Nov 1824(b 14 Nov) at St Bartholomews Norwich.There is no further info on either John or Ethelbert what so ever.Also George had another son named Charles, by his second wife, and he defiantly become a George (George was crossed out and Charles reinstated on the G.R.O.record of his death).He seemed to be a serial name changer!.
    If anyone could disprove this I would be very interested.

Ma-dotcom and Chimp like this.
  19. annabel

Hello Rex, thanks for your comments.
    "My" George b 1818 was married to Sarah. As far as I can tell, this is the same one who was still with him in 1881 in Norfolk, and I think George died in 1886. So is this the same George?
    As for Alfred, I admit I have been very confused as to whether he is in my family or not, due to the fact that there seem to be several very similar families. Could you tell me, on those two baptisms you mention, are George and Ann the parents and is he a shoemaker?

20. Rex

Rex New Member

Hello Annabel.Nice to find someone doing the same family tree.I am a 'Sexton' and have been researching my family for about 12 years.It has not been easy getting further back than George who is my 4x Great Grandfather.
    George Sexton,a shoemaker,married Elizabeth Ann Nobbs (who used the Ann name more often) on 30 May 1814 St Helens,Norwich and had the following children.
    Christmas b25Dec.bap 31Dec 1815 St John Sepulchre Norwich (my 3xGreat Grandfather)
    John (George) b7 Feb.bap 8Feb 1818 St John Sepulchre Norwich (your George who married Sarah Dye Kettle on 2 Aug 1845 Shoreditch)
    James William b 10 Jul. bap 16 Jul 1820 St John Sepulchre Norwich.
    Susanna Maria b19Sep.bap 22Sep 1822 St John Sepulchre Norwich.
    Ethelbert (Alfred) b 14 Nov.bap 21Nov 1826 St Bartholomews,Heigham,Norwich.
    William b 10 Nov. bap 12 Nov 1826 St Bartholomews,Heigham,Norwich.
    Samuel b 28 Feb. bap 1 Mar 1829 St Giles Norwich.
    Charles Frederick b 24 Sep.bap 25 Sep 1831St Bartholomews,Heigham,Norwich.
    George ' wife Elizabeth Ann Nobbs was buried 9 Oct 1831 St Margarets Norwich age 39.
    George remarried Mary Ann Goodman (nee Fortune) on 2 Feb 1834 St Bartholomews,Heigham,Norwich.
    They had the following children.
    Catherine and Charles (twins) b 23 Aug. bap September 1834 St Giles Norwich.
    Sophia b 16 May. bap 3Jun 1836 St Giles Norwich.
    Charles b 4Jan.bap7Jan 1838 St Giles Norwich.
    Albert b 10 Feb St Giles Norwich.
    George Sexton the father was buried 22 Mar 1848 St Margarets Norwich age 53.
    Mary Ann d 8Apr 1861 (of St Michael at Coslany) and bur in Earlham Cemetery Norwich 2 Apr 1861.Age 53
    I have more info on all the children.
    Hope this is helpful to you.

Findem and Ma-dotcom like this.