Gibralter Farm

Discussion in 'Huntingdonshire' started by annabel, Oct 18, 2015.

1. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

I realise my Mary Flint thread is getting long and complicated, so am starting this new one
    In the will of William Flint who died 1837 in Biggleswade is this entry
    Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 15.00.09.png
    Can anyone tell me John's surname? I have an idea, but I haven't found what I think it is.
    I think that this Everton is also Everton Cum Tetworth, and seems to be in a little bit of an odd position in terms of which county its in, Beds or Hunts, or perhaps in Cambs

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

No help with John's surname, but Gibraltar Farm still exists and may be seen in the top left-hand corner of this map.
    Gibraltar Farm.JPG
    It also seems to have had quite a history! Have a look at this website:
    Code:
    http://www.tempsfordmemorial.co.uk/history.html

3. annabel

Thank you. I think that is the barn that they restored as a memorial to the airmen who flew from the airfield in WWII, built where the farm used to be.

4. Bonzo Dog

Bonzo Dog Still the Mad Scientist?

The surname could be Sidman/Sudman or Sidmans/Sudmans.

5. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I think you'll find the surname is Kidman - quite a 'common' name in that neck of the woods :)

Ann
    PS I have a Mary Kidman who married William Allpress in 1736 in Elsworth, Hunts (but now, I think in Cambridgeshire)

Ma-dotcom and Bonzo Dog like this.
  6. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

From the Northampton Mercury 14th April 1832
    Notice to the Creditors of Mr John Kidman, such of the Creditors of Mr John Kidman late of Gibralter Farm, in the parish of Evehton, in the county of Bedford, Farmer, who have executed the Deed of Assignment and Composition, made by him for their benefit, now lying in the hands of Mr Chapman, Solicitor, in Bigleswade, may receive composition of Seven Shillings and Two Pence in the Pound, upon their respective Debts, by applying any day at the offices of Mr. Chapman, in Bigleswade. By Order of the Assignees, Wm. Chapman, their Solicitor. Bigleswade, April 11, 1832.

Ann

7. annabel

Thank you for that confirmation of the name. I have now found John and Sarah Kidman in Gibralter Farm in 1851. He must have got himself straight again (if I'm reading it right).

John b 1796 in Poles Warden, Herefordshire
    Sarah b 1796 Dunton Bedfordshire

I was hoping Sarah would be a Flint. The fact that the money was left to her not her husband makes me think she was a relative not a friend (would a man have a female friend when both were married, in those days?)

But she could have been Sarah Brown who married a John Kidman in Langford in 1816, as there is one baptised in Dunton in 1795 parents Henry and Jane.
    Now I'm stumped to see how to find if her mother was a Flint.