Gloucestershire parish records

Discussion in 'Gloucestershire' started by Steve, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Steve

Steve Member

Wonderful to see Ancestry have now added this to their site. Been a great help so far. I have a quick question, do you think parents would baptise a child twice at the same church. I'm looking for Sarah Hawkins and have found two. One baptised 14 Oct 1792 the other 10 Apr 1795 but can't find a burial so was wondering if they are both the same child?

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

I have a several great grandfather who was baptised twice - once in 1797 and again in 1803. This was at the same Parish Church.

In his case, it was because a number of his siblings were baptised at once and he happened to be included, even though he had been baptised earlier.

It can also happen if the baby was baptised soon after birth if not expected to live and then 'welcomed into the church' later on.

3. Daft Bat

Afterthought: I wonder if there was a new vicar who was 'rounding up' all of his parishioners to make sure that the baptisms took place. If there had not been one in situ for a while, and the church was being looked after by others from surrounding parishes, he might just have wanted to make sure.

Just a thought....

Half Hour likes this.
  4. Steve

Steve Member

Thx for the thoughts. Not sure about vicar. There's no vicars name but writing looks pretty much similar. The earlier one has the price of the tax after each baptism, the later one doesn't not sure if this means anything

5. Daft Bat

It may be that it was not the vicar who wrote in the parish records, but the parish clerk. This was usually done from a list that the vicar would give him and I have known scraps of paper turn up months after the event resulting in records made completely out of order! :eek:

Perhaps check to see if it was just the one baptism that was recorded or if there is the duplication of a few.

6. Daft Bat

Then again, they could be completely different people. Some family names are used generation after generation - which does not help when you are trying to follow your family more than 200 years later...

7. Steve

Steve Member

Only other one is for a William in 1798

8. Steve

Steve Member

Thats the beauty of these Gloucestershire parish records these a lot of info on them. Both entry's read

Sarah daughter of William Hawkins by his wife Sarah daughter of Samuel Chandler.

So I get both parents names and a grandparent in the same record

Flora and Daft Bat like this.
  9. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

10. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

I too have come across a few cases where what is definitely the same child is baptised more than once, so that is a possibility.

Another is that the first Sarah did die before the second was baptised, but that you haven't found the burial. Have you looked through the register page by page? Ancestry doesn't seem to have indexed the Stroud burials for that period, but you can see them by browsing the images. They start at the back of the register and are only in semi-chronological order.

The writing looks suspiciously neat and uniform page after page, which may indicate that it has been copied up later from a rough register. That gives scope for copying errors to creep in. Putting a parent's name in error for a child's is one such error: so it's possible there were two different children but only one of them was really called Sarah. Check whether there is a Bishop's transcript for Stroud for this period, in case it contradicts the parish register. Sometimes rough registers have survived too.

Ma-dotcom and Steve like this.
  11. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

My wife has discovered that some of the North Nibley registers haven't been indexed either.

She also found that in some cases in Tetbury, Ancestry's transcription/index is wrong. For example, where the burial register has "A child of John Chapman", it has been indexed as simply "John Chapman".

This kind of thing might have happened with other parishes too, but these are just what she has noticed so far.

The bottom line seems to be: don't rely on the indexes, but always go to the image and be prepared to spend time browsing in order to find out what's really in the register.

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  12. Londoner

Londoner Will always roll up her sleeves and dig around

Thanks for mentioning these Steve, I can see hours of fun trawling through them. I have already come across the same child indexed as himself and as his brother who was baptised two years later!

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  13. Copper

Copper New Member

I have spent a few hours trawling through the parish records for Gloucestershire as there are lots of transcription errors. I have made some corrections.

Sis likes this.