Got on a roll.

Discussion in 'Essex' started by Findem, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

I decided to tidy up some loose ends of my Thaxted Saward line and at the same time see if I could find the Rebecca who was the origin of that name being handed down in Saward families and I found her, the wife of Thomas Sawerd. I got on a roll and I think I’ve ended up just about as far as I’m able to go with them.

My Saward branch now looks like this

Thomas Sawerd 1593 Thaxted and his wife Rebecca Paschier (that's her) who married 2 Aug 1618 at Thaxted. the marriage entry stated the parents of Thomas are Isaac & Alacia, Rebecca’s are Johis and Jane.

Isaac Saward 1632 Thaxted & Mary Griffin, they married 4 Feb 1657 at Thaxted.

Isaac Saward 1662 Thaxted & Martha Rayment, they married 2 Nov 1682 at Thaxted.

Isaac Saward 1692 Thaxted & Mary Green, they married 21 Sep 1732 at Thaxted.

Ann Saward 1733 Thaxted & William Smith, they married 29 Jan1755 at Felsted.

I couldn’t find a sibling of Thomas named Isaac but there is a Sawerd child baptised 29 Jan 1598 at Thaxted the son of Isaac, the entry didn’t have a first name or gender attached, that child was the fifth of six children found 1585 to 1598.

Unfortunately, my luck run out there, I couldn’t find the marriage of Isaac & Alacia Sawerd, parents of Thomas nor that of Johis & Jane Paschier, Rebecca’s parents. Also Rebecca Paschier's baptism has eluded me, still I'm not complaining I had a good run. It's been a great Saward finale, well worth staying at home for.

FYI: There was also another Isaac Saward in Thaxted baptising children the same period as Isaac & Martha, he was married to Mary Rich and in the baptism entry of their daughter Alice it noted that Isaac was a Glazier, I had read somewhere that an Isaac Saward was responsible for lead light windows in the Thaxted church, St John the Baptist, I guess he's the one.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  2. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Had a bit of a roll backwards with my Saward Line, I had found seven children of Thomas Saward and his wife Rebeccha Paschier all baptised at Thaxted Essex. I was optimistic for several reasons thinking that once the PR images were viewed, the last three children would turn out to be not belonging to Thomas and Rebecca or perhaps another Thomas and Rebecca. That big gap between the children made me wonder if it signaled the start of a different family. Added to that I was not sure the same Rebecca would be having babies for 39 years

These are the children noted as children of Thomas & Rebecca Saward, all baptised at Thaxted.
    Rebecha Sarward 7 Nov 1619.
    *cia (prob Alicia) Saward 17 May 1621.
    Thomas Saward 6 May 1626.
    Isaackus Saward 3 Oct 1630.
    Isaackus Saward 1 Oct 1632.
    Isauck Soyward 21 Aug 1648.
    Jacob Sayward 31 Mar 1656.
    Rebeckah Saward 14 Dec 1658.

Finding two Isaac Sawards didn’t bother me even though I couldn’t find a burial for the 1630 Isaac and still can’t.

Then along came Isaacus Soyward (image has Sayward)1648, only found him by pure chance, just playing around with all sorts of variations on the Essex Parish Register Index and up he came. The image for that Isaac and those for the earlier two Isaacs definitely state they are the sons of Thomas and Rebecca Saward.

I have searched for another marriage of a Thomas Saward to a Mary, nothing doing.

Even the way the next down the line Saward family named their children shouted yes, Thomas and Rebecca are the ones, those parents are Isaac Saward and his wife Mary Griffin, their children are:-
    Thomas 1658.
    Mary 1660.
    Isacke 1662.
    Rebecca 1668.
    All baptised at Thaxted, Isaac Saward and Mary Griffin married 1657 at Thaxted.

At the moment I really don't know what to make of it, I keep thinking that Thomas and Rebecca must be my ancestors but assuming the first two Isaacs died, leaving the 1648 Isaac in contention, he would have been only 9 years old in 1657 when Isaac Saward married Mary Griffin. :headbang: :headbang:

If anyone has any bright ideas or theories please feel free to post them.

Btw I am aware of another Isaac & Mary Saward couple in Thaxted, they are Isaac Saward and Mary Rich who married 1687 in Thaxted, I found five children for that couple baptised 1688 to 1701 in Thaxted.

gillyflower, Daft Bat and Sis like this.
  3. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Just read Jan's post Mary Ann Dean Cross - baptised twice? The thought crossed my mind wouldn't it be great if I could find that the case with my Isaac Saward problem. An Isaac is baptised 1630 dies and is buried, a new Isaac is baptised 1632, by 1647 he has forgotten he was baptised, or whatever and is baptised again in 1647, wonderful. Unfortunately that's something very unlikely to happen, I've seen all three baptism PR images and there's no clues there. :( :D

Daft Bat likes this.