Great Uncle Les

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Elsiesgirl, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Elsiesgirl

Elsiesgirl Well-Known Member

My Mum had an uncle that she told us about, her mother's younger brother, Les, but I can't find any trace of him. He must have been born after the 1911 census. The family came from Hull. His mother was Isabella Johnson nee Angus. My Great Grandfather was John Henry Johnson aka Harry or Harry John but as Bell had at least one illegitimate child in 1921 Uncle Les may or may not have been Harry's child. Les wrote a poem about my mother and her siblings and I have a copy of that. He apparently married, and joined the army (not sure in what order) He was in the army when he wrote the poem, about 1942 I think. His marriage broke down and his wife refused to divorce him and he lived with his new partner (Auntie Joan I think) in Harrow. They eventually married when the law changed so he could divorce without his wife's consent, I'd guess that would be early 70's. I don't know when Les was born but my Mum's oldest sister was born in 1922 and in the poem he talks about taking her out in the pram so I would think about 1911 to 1915 (though you wouldn't let a 7 year old take a pram out nowadays. I've looked at all the Leslie Johnsons born in Hull around that time and I think I've eliminated them. All Great Granny Bell's other children that I know about were born in Hull but I'm beginning to think he must have been born somewhere else. I found a marriage in Bedford in 1971 which I thought was Les and Joan but when I sent for the certificate it was the wrong couple unfortunately. I hope I've explained this sufficiently and hope someone has an idea

2. LianeH

LianeH Well-Known Member

Have you tried searching the birth registers by just searching his surname and with his mothers maiden name. I found a great aunt this way because she was known by her middle name and I had no idea what her first name was.

Elsiesgirl, Bonzo Dog and Sis like this.
  3. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Have you found Isabella and John/Harry in the 1939 register?

4. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

What year was Isabella born?

5. Elsiesgirl

I've done that on Yorkshire BMD and today have tried to widen my search on Ancestry but no luck so far. I'm coming to the conclusion that he wasn't born in Hull and therefore the wider search but thanks for any suggestions

6. Elsiesgirl

I knew I'd started to ask you all at the wrong end. Isabella was born in Eyemouth Scotland on 31 March 1881, 6 months before her father was drowned in the Eyemouth Disaster. She was a fisher lass, and followed the fishing fleet down the East coast, gutting the herring. She married Harry Johnson in July 1900 in Yarmouth. He came from Scarborough and was a Fish House foreman. She was 19 and he was 27 and as they married away from both their home towns I assumed she may be pregnant. However, after 11 years of searching I can't find them in the 1901 census. In the 1911 census they are living in Hull with their youngest child James William age 2. The census states there had been 6 live children born during the marriage, 2 died and 4 still living. When I managed to get the Scottish 1911 census I found my grandmother Isabel age 8 (as I expected) and 2 younger girls living with their grandmother in Eyemouth. I had never heard of these 2 other little girls or the 2 year old boy and I'm sure my mother never had heard of them either. I have all their birth certificates and all were born in Hull. One of the girls Ellen Angus Johnson b 1906 died in Hull of kidney disease in 1912. The other girl Doris b 1905 I have no further trace of. My grandmother was born in 1904. The two siblings I knew about were Les and Gwladys (spelling correct) Gwladys Johnson was born in 1921 and the space is blank where her father's name should be. I can find no trace of Les. My great granny Isabella lived with a man called Bill Stather for many years and he is alleged to be the father of Gwladys. Isabella (known as Bell) married him in 1930. I have no idea when my Great Grandfather, Harry left the family home or died. I have had no luck in tracing his death. I thought I'd try tracing Great Uncle Les but also had no luck at all.

7. Elsiesgirl

Not sure what that is but by then Isabella was married to William Stather who she'd lived with for many years. I've no idea when Harry left the family home or when he died. My mother thought he'd gone back to Scotland but as he came from Scarborough, I wondered if that was where he'd gone.

8. patten-walsh

patten-walsh Well-Known Member

They are on there in Kingston-on Hull
    Isabel is b.1879
    William is b.1877
    There is also a Gwladys Johnson (crossed through) at the same address

Elsiesgirl likes this.
  9. MollyMay

Could Les have been William G Stather's son?

There is a birth reg for Leslie R Stather Dec qtr 1912 Hull 9d 586
    mother's maiden name Killick
    (there is also a Raymond born 1914 same mmn)
    I cannot see a marriage of a Stather to Killick, but will look again after I have cooked dinner;)

Sis, Ma-dotcom and Half Hour like this.
  10. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

Sorry MollyMay... there are a lot of trees on Ancestry that say the father is Daniel Stather and mother is Ellen Killick.

11. patten-walsh

Can see a marriage of a William G. Stather to an Isabel Johnson 1930 Hull 3rd Quarter 9D 785 so I assume that these are the same 2 people as on the 1939 register.
    And also a marriage in 1915 William G. Stather to a Minnie F.Smith in Sculcoates 4th Quarter 9D 419,
    Wonder if it's the same person ?

Elsiesgirl and Sis like this.
  12. MollyMay

I am sure we can now discount this one as he died in Hull in 1998:(

13. MollyMay

This looks like William Stather on the 1911 census - in Sculcoates
    RG14 PN28722 SN332

14. patten-walsh

William G.Stather death 1955 Hull 2nd Quarter 2a 258

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    Elsiesgirl likes this.
  15. patten-walsh

A death in 1968 in Hull 1st quarter 2a 382 name given as Isabella Stathers, b. about 1882. I think this is Isabel Stather

Elsiesgirl likes this.
  16. patten-walsh

Death of a John H. Johnson 1913 Hull 4th Quarter 9d 368 age 40 so born around 1873.

MollyMay likes this.
  17. patten-walsh

Several trees on Ancestry have Doris Johnson b.21 Jun 1905 Hull, Death Jun 1979 Croydon registration district,Surrey , Parents John Henry Johnson & Isabella Angus.

18. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

I've searched using every trick I know and found nothing; I'm now wondering if Leslie could have either been born in Scotland, or Leslie wasn't his first name.

Eve, Elsiesgirl, Ma-dotcom and 2 others like this.
  19. patten-walsh

Good call Lizzy and here it is ........

Attached Files:

Eve, Bay Horse, Elsiesgirl and 6 others like this.
  20. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Well done, patten-walsh. I couldn't look myself as don't have access to Scotland's People.

Elsiesgirl, Sis and Jellylegs like this.