1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GRO online index of births & deaths.

Discussion in 'BMD Certificates' started by Sis, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Just a heads up, today I found 2 deaths via the GRO online search and as you may or may not know the Age at Death is given in years. My two said that one was 6 years old and the other one 7 years old. I was pretty sure that these were my two so I checked it all out. I also found their burials, right area, right time, one was 6 months old and the other was 7 months old. Don't know if this is the norm or if I happened to get two with errors. Just thought it was something to keep in mind.

LianeH, Daft Bat, CaroleF and 2 others like this.
  2. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

I have found several burials on FMP where the age is incorrect. It will say they were 15 and calculate the year of birth from that. But looking at the image it says 'months' after the 15.

Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  3. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Sad times when the image is of a typed index. We'll never know the truth of those.

Half Hour and Sis like this.
  4. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

It is one of the vagaries of the GRO index that infants that died, and the age was given in months, those number of months now show as the number of years years on the new list.

Bay Horse, Flook and Sis like this.
  5. Bonzo Dog

Bonzo Dog Well-Known Member

Have one case where the truth is known, luckily for me. Reference to the marriage registration image for Elizabeth Newell, June quarter 1840 Birmingham 16 345, shows a typewritten transcript, and in her case it is wrong. Much to my relief her maiden name, as it appears 4 times on the marriage certificate, is Newey. It will be interesting to learn FMP's reaction to the error report. Am now off to GRO to see it can be reported there.

Ma-dotcom, Jellylegs, Sis and 2 others like this.