GRONI question

Discussion in 'Ulster' started by Half Hour, Sep 16, 2022.

1. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

If I purchase credits to view some deaths on GRONI how many can I view for one credit? I want to see if any of 7 deaths of an Eleanor Thompson in Tyrone could maybe be my 2X gr.grandmother. I have read what they say several times and I know I have to buy credits to see more than the death, but I don't know what I will see and if they will be worth it and if I can view more than one entry per credit.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

I have found the following statement from their Facebook page:

There are only a couple of changes as fees were previously reviewed in 2012 and again when their popular online service was launched in 2014. The fees are operated on a cost recovery basis, i.e. GRONI only charge what each individual service costs them to run.
    • Online search fees are changing. Searches are still free and it will still cost one credit for partial details (an enhanced index search) and 5 credits to see a full image. The cost of a credit is changing from 40p to 50p, meaning that viewing a full record will cost £2.50. This is still a great reduction in the costs incurred by genealogists compared with the situation before GRONI introduced their online service.
    I hope that this helps. :)

Ma-dotcom, Half Hour and Sis like this.
  3. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

By the way, have you had a rummage on the Irish Genealogy website?

It is run by the Department of Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sports and Media.

:)

Ma-dotcom, Half Hour and GrannyBarb like this.
  4. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

Thanks Jan.
    Yes, I've seen that one and several others. !! I have also joined several different FB groups and most are great. The Tyrone one has the option to upload your GedMatch DNA results in GedMatch with other people in the group who register to do so. In GedMatch they have it set up so you only match others from the Tyrone group. I have some matches, but they are all low cm's so I have yet to find a common name in my search for Eleanor's maiden name... ( BTW.. there are several groups on GedMatch you can join to find relatives! )
    Wow!.. so that means to even view a record it could cost a small fortune in Canadian $'s. When I can see BC records for free it seems extreme!

Ma-dotcom, Sandiep and Daft Bat like this.