Had a new Covid experience.

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Findem, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Auburn

Auburn Well-Known Member

How very sad for you, Derek.
    Glad the service went well and you were able to be a part of it.
    It's hard to be far away from home when such things happen.

Findem likes this.
  2. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about your sister, Derek. It is so hard when we can't be there for family. Also hard for the families involved as attendance is so limited.
    I have "attended" 3 virtual funerals these past few months. All were very sad, but they do help. In one case even the daughter and son-in-laws could not attend due to a limit of 10 people total.

Findem and Ma-dotcom like this.
  3. LianeH

LianeH Well-Known Member

I heard today that my uncles funeral is tomorrow and that will be streamed so I shall be tuning in to pay my respects. I wouldn’t want to get to the pearly gates and have my dad telling me off for not being there to say goodbye.

Half Hour, Findem, Ma-dotcom and 2 others like this.
  4. dizzyme

dizzyme Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear your news Derek ():-) It is a heart breaking time for so many at the moment.
    The quick covid test that we have is not completely a 100% accurate, that is why hospital staff are now tested twice a week.
    So lovely that you were able to 'attend' the service. My niece died 3 years ago in Oz and the crematorium there didn't have streaming so that family overseas could attend sadly :( It is a wonderful thing that so many places are now able to stream and am sure it helps with the grieving process.
    Take care of yourself {-(^^)-}

5. TonyV

TonyV He who cleans up after his ancestors...

Sorry to hear about your sister Derek. Please forgive me for using this reply to talk about vaccination as others have above.

My wife and I had the Pfizer jab just under 4 weeks ago and I suffered no side effects at all. My wife had a slightly sore arm for a couple of days. The same when I had a flu jab for the first time last Autumn. I'm now waiting impatiently to hear about the second jab which is due about 12 weeks after the first.

We have an 80-year-old neighbour in poor health and physical condition who had his first jab about 6 weeks ago and was then taken to hospital for treatment of an entirely unrelated problem a couple of weeks later. He was there for two weeks where they sorted out his problem but before he was allowed home he contracted Covid from another patient on the same ward - it was not a Covid ward. To our horror he was sent home to be with his wife who had had a quadruple heart bypass about 6 months ago. They are still quarantined. The good news is that she hasn't contracted it so far and he has a very mild version of Covid which is probably due to some level of immunity built up before he went into hospital. His wife hasn't caught it so presumably, her vaccination has protected her too.

My advice is to have the jab. Most people get no, or very minor, side effects but the benefit is immeasurable.

Bay Horse, Half Hour, Auburn and 7 others like this.
  6. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

How are we the common people meant to be 'covid aware- safe' when 'supposed medical areas don't 'take care'.?
    edit, okay she had the jab too.- thank goodness. I didn't note that at first, still cross over local news re- quadruple jabs for a senior. Going now.

7. wendymac

wendymac Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about your sister Derek {-(^^)-}xxx

8. Auburn

Auburn Well-Known Member

Had mine 2 weeks ago - only side effects were sore arm/ mild headache and total euphoria due to having had the jab!
    My husband and I (yes, I am the Queen) were booked 2 hours apart about twenty miles from home but they let us go in together which was really helpful.

dizzyme, Ma-dotcom, LianeH and 3 others like this.
  9. Genie1

Genie1 Cornish to the Core

Condolences to you Findem.{-(^^)-}

10. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Our Covid jabs were executed smoothly & professionally the whole way through. Telephone message to say phone the Covid line to book in, phoned up got straight through, booked a slot for husband & myself at the same time at the local Town Hall, we both received confirmation texts straight away on our mobiles, went to the Town Hall on the appropriate date and time which was all very well organised and received the jabs. Waited 15 minutes in the seats provided until we were told we could go as neither had an adverse reaction, everyone being extremely helpful and pleasant. Huge congratulations to all involved.

Janet

dizzyme, Ma-dotcom, Murfomurf and 3 others like this.
  11. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

Ah so Sorry Derek. It must be awful for you. We must get rid of this awful virus.
    {-(^^)-}

12. Findem

Findem The Fearless One. Rest in Peace.

Thanks to all for your kind thoughts.

Bay Horse, AnnB, GrannyBarb and 5 others like this.
  13. Murfomurf

Murfomurf Well-Known Member

Have the flu vax as well unless you are having cancer treatment. Doctors in Australia have already told us it is fine to have the two within a week of each other- anti-COVID and anti-Flu.

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  14. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Hoping they know of what they speak. ;)

15. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Well we certainly won’t be taking the risk.

16. Elma

Elma Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear of your loss Derek. I am glad the funeral was a positive experience for you. People have had to be so creative in ways to mark these sad occasions. Let's hope things will improve soon. Thinking of you {-(^^)-}

17. Eve

Eve Well-Known Member

{-(^^)-}So sorry to hear about your sister Derek, sending my condolences and a hug
    xx

18. Findem

Thanks Eve.

19. Findem

Thanks Amie.

20. Findem

Had another upset this week, last Tuesday morning I phoned a local rag the Illawarra Mercury in order to place an "In Memorium notice for my wife, June died 28 February, due to Covid we can't call in at the Mercury's office as I have on the last twelve years to put notices in.

Spoke to some guy who said he would pass the message on and someone would contact me.

That afternoon I phoned again spoke to the same guy who assured me he had passed my phone number on to the appropriate people and someone would contact me.

Thursday this week, having no contact from them, I phoned again, this time i got a recorded message so I left a message and my phone number again, as of today I haven't heard from them.

I am very, very angry, today I emailed them with my grievances and they will be no doubt aware of how I feel!

This will be the first time in thirteen years I haven't put a In Memorium notice in that paper.

This episode will be going on my Facebook and if the Illawarra Mercury has Facebook page there too.