Hallow, Worcestershire

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Brian Everton, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

I've given 'Will1' a go.

(I am totally useless at reading wills)

In the name of God Amen
    I Benjamin Everton ? of this parish of Hollow in
    the county of Worcester yeoman being in good health
    of body and of a sound and perfect mind and memory
    blessed be to almighty God for the same and calling
    to mind and considering the uncertainty of human
    life do make publish and ordain this my last
    will and testament in manner and form following
    revoking and annulling all other wills or testaments
    by me made or ordained and this to be taken for my
    last will and testament and no other.
    I give to my son Benjamin Everton the sum of six
    pounds, I give to my son Mozes Everton the sum
    of six pounds, I give to my son Aron Everton
    the sum of six pounds. I give to my daughter
    Mary Griffiths the sum of six pounds. I give
    to my daughter Ann Everton six pounds
    all the above legacies to be paid at two equal
    payments that is three pounds to be paid to each
    legal ? three months after my decease.
    I give to my wife Mary Everton and my son Thomas
    Everton all the rest of my estate ???? stock goods
    chattels and implements of husbandry of whatsoever
    nature or kind to be equally divided between them
    at the discretion of Mr Thomas Jones of ????? in
    the parish of hollow aforesaid whom I nominate
    and appoint trustee to this my last will and testament
    I make and ordain my wife Mary Everton and my son
    Thomas Everton my soul executors of this my last will and testament.

2. Brian Everton

Brian Everton Member

Thank you Arthur, that is a great help and I am very grateful. I do have one other and will upload soon if you are able to help once more.
    Regards
    Brian

dizzyme likes this.
  3. Brian Everton

Brian Everton Member

Similar regards and thanks to Chimp, appreciate the time and effort to help me.
    Regards
    Brian

dizzyme and Chimp like this.
  4. Brian Everton

Brian Everton Member

This is the last of the Wills I need help with, far more difficult to read I think.

Attached Files:

5. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

I haven't time to do this right away, but from a quick look it's actually an administration bond rather than a will, and the majority of it is printed with a standard form of words, with names etc added in by hand.

You might get some help in deciphering it from a page such as the following (others are available - I searched for "family history administration bond standard wording" without the quotes):
    Code:
    http://familyrecords.dur.ac.uk/nei/NEI_bonds.htm
    This page relates to Co. Durham, but most of the content will apply to the whole country. So why not have a go yourself, and if there are any bits you can't get, I'll take a look later.

6. Brian Everton

Brian Everton Member

Thanks Arthur, will give it a go.
    Brian

7. dizzyme

dizzyme Well-Known Member

Brian,
    Have you noticed the thumb/finger print of Moses and Benjamin Everton, beside their signatures? Would be great to see the original document but not sure if it's possible :(

8. Brian Everton

Brian Everton Member

I did notice the prints and found the whole document fascinating.
    I followed Arthur's tips and managed to get a basic understanding but the 'handwritten' sections are proving to be a challenge. Moses married Ann Lapworth who this is intended for and Benjamin is his father who to my intense frustration still evades revealing his birthplace and parents. It all helps to pass long winter nights

dizzyme likes this.
  9. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

I'm not sure they are thumbprints - I thought possibly the residue of wax seals. And it looks to me that Moses didn't sign, but Benjamin did.
    It appears that there were three bondsmen: Moses Everton, Benjamin Everton and John Doe. The last is probably fictitious (note that he didn't sign, and doesn't live anywhere), but I've no idea why it should have been necessary to make him up.

As with many administrations, there's not a lot of useful genealogical information to be gained, though some can be deduced. The reason for this administration would probably be that Ann will have inherited something which did not automatically pass to Moses, and there may be an earlier will or administration that explains this. If she was a widow when she married Moses, she could have inherited from her first husband (presumably Mr Lapworth); if she wasn't, it might have been something from her father or another relative.

Widows were generally able to own money or property in their own right, and retain it even after a later marriage, but other women's property was deemed to belong to their husbands. However, I've occasionally seen clauses in wills where money is left to a woman with an explicit proviso that it is not to go to the husband, so I think that unless she had been a widow, there must have been a clause of this kind to enable her to have an estate that needed to be administered. Further research into Lapworth relatives might make this clear.

However, there isn't anything explaining the relationship between Moses and Benjamin - without evidence from elsewhere, they could just as easily be brothers or cousins as father and son. About the only thing you can take from it is that they were both of Hallow; Benjamin was a yeoman who could write, and Moses was a labourer who couldn't. That might help when looking at what other documents say about them.

dizzyme likes this.
  10. Brian Everton

Brian Everton Member

The Concise Oxford Dictionary (edited by H.W. & F.G. Fowler, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1972 reprint, p. 1516) states that a yeoman was "a person qualified by possessing free land of 40/- (shillings) annual [feudal] value, and who can serve on juries and vote for a Knight of the Shire. He is sometimes described as a small landowner, a farmer of the middle classes".
    Benjamin was Father to Moses(plus 12 others) and Moses is recorded in Parish Documents as 'Farmer' which would confirm a link to that family occupation, the monetary value of Benjamin's Will and that of Moses would suggest some value to inherit and protect legally. According to the link you gave me it was very common practice to use John Doe as a fictitious 'guarantor' for legal reasons.
    Although fascinating I can't say in all honesty I fully understand what is really taking place probably not helped by the fact I cannot read the handwriting properly. My curiosity is however in high gear and hopefully in the fullness of time a clearer picture will provide more information as to my ancestors.

dizzyme likes this.
  11. dizzyme

Brian,
    Will hopefully get bavk to the record office next week to get copies of the earlier Wills, which may shed more light!
    Need to look for a marriage of Everton & Lapworth, as these could be the parents of Moses.

12. Brian Everton

Brian Everton Member

A copy of the original will of Moses would be an advantage, however Everton & Lapworth is Moses not his parents but should there be a record of Benjamin Everton & Mary Gough's marriage who are his parents it might shed some light on Benjamin. I did see a reference to their marriage on microfish in the History Centre many years ago which contained no other details and probably not considered important way back then but it may have been a summary rather than a full record. It is a pity Karen that I live more than 50 miles away from Worcester otherwise I could do far more research directly as the Worcestershire Records online do seem limited compared to other area's of the UK. Your help is very much appreciated.

dizzyme likes this.
  13. dizzyme

Hi Brian,
    Glad to help! Christmas is fast approaching so to delve a little deeper, it will have to be in the New Year :)
    Will ask if it is possible to see the original document to see if they are fingerprints or a seal mark.

Daft Bat likes this.