Happy to help with London records

Discussion in 'Jewish Records' started by Sandiep, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

Hi

I have a number of record books for both Bevis Marks and Great Synagogue
    covering Births Deaths and Marriages and a few New Synagogue & Hambro
    I am happy to do look ups........no guarantees of course:)

2. Eve

Eve Well-Known Member

Thanks Sandiep, that's very kind, Im sure this offer will be very useful.
    Lesley

3. HildaW

HildaW Well-Known Member

Hi Sandiep, we have spoken before some years back and you were kind enough to help me then so here's hoping I can ask you for more help.
    Just to recap: Samuel Davis bc1788 (Colmar/Germany now known as Chelmno/Poland) in census 1851 & 1861 was married to Mary, from a birth record of son Joseph she was Miriam (no further details). What I am now hoping to establish is:
    1. when did Samuel Davis die - last census was 1861 - wife Mary/Miriam widowed by 1871. He was a Glazier if that helps
    2. is there a birth record for a child Rachael born 1850 (looks like 10 mths old on 1851) trying to establish if mother was Sarah or Miriam.
    3. and a death record for Rachael which I think might have been early 1859
    4. Miriam/Mary Davis died after 1901 census where she was in the Chelsea Workhouse, any death/burial info would be great.
    5. Is there a marriage for Samuel and Miriam between 1845 and 1851 - I do not find them on the census in 1841. I ask this because Mary cannot be the mother of the oldest child Levi but may be the mother of other children unless there is a marriage in London to prove otherwise.
    6. If there is a marriage, then is there a death for a Sarah Davis, wife of Samuel after 1845 and before 1851 -
    This Sarah is the mother of Levi (in contact with a descendant who has US death cert) and we are now trying to piece together which of the next batch of children are Sarah's and which are Mary/Miriam's, there are 2 big gaps but the last two Rachael and Joseph were born in London. All others born Germany/Poland
    Hope you can make sense of the above, any help will be hugely appreciated.
    Grateful thanks in advance,
    Hilda

4. Sandiep

Hi
    Just a quick one on the marriages I would think Samuel married in Germany
    even perhaps to Marie as she was also born Germany
    except for Joseph all the other children say born Germany.
    I am assuming that your family are Ashkenazi Jews which means records from Great Synagogue and so far the burials have only been transcribed into a book up to 1837.........am waiting to hear of next book.
    will have a better look tomorrow and get back to you.

Sandie

HildaW likes this.
  5. HildaW

HildaW Well-Known Member

Hi Sandie, thanks for info, yes they were Ashkenazi Jews.
    In 1851 Wentworth Street, Tower Hamlets, HO107/1543 can't read page number - Rachael (recorded as Raghile) was born Middlesex

6. Sandiep

Hi Hilda
    have looked through all my books and only records for a Samuel Davis and Miriam?Mary are
    Joseph b Shmuel(Samuel Davis) Shmuel b Dovid mother Miriam 12.4.1853
    address Love Court Petticoat Lane.

Raphael b Shmuel Shmuel b Dovid mother Miriam 17 10 1866
    address 46 Milner Square Islington.

no sign of Rachael.

HildaW likes this.
  7. HildaW

HildaW Well-Known Member

Hi Sandi, many, many thanks - Raphael is a surprise because of big gap Rachael 1850. Then father Samuel died 1866 to 1871, so that narrows down his death and Raphael certainly died before 1871.

Please can I ask another favour ():-) I am looking for a marriage probably shortly after 1861 census of Levi Davis to Rosalie Jacobs.
    On 1871 they have son Isaac b1862 and Lizzie (?) b1864 born Middlesex, there may have been other children before they went to the US.

US descendant has 2 others 1 born Newcastle on Tyne and 1 Manchester as yet I am not 100% certain of her research but I am certain about the first two children I have those 2 on 1871 census they immigrated to the US

8. Sandiep

I am sorry Hilda I cannot find anything in my books, however I see from the 1871 census that Levi/Louis and family are in Manchester and if he married there it wont be in my books...........I have tried the American census ect and I see on the 1880 census that 4 of his children were born in England
    Isaac age 17, Louise age 16, Max age 13 and Dora age 10....2 others Emilie age 7 and Anna age 1 were born in New York.
    I did find a tree on Ancestry which had him as a widower on 1900 living with his married daughter Dora however this person also had his death as 1898!!
    I have searched for deaths but no luck..........sorry

9. Sandiep

there is a birth of a Dora Davies in Manchester 1869 2nd qtr vol 8d page 241

10. HildaW

HildaW Well-Known Member

Hi Sandi, many thanks for looking. I could not find a GRO ref for a marriage but at that time it appears not all Jewish BMD's were registered.
    You have the correct family, in 1861 the Davis and Jacobs families were all living at 40 Goulston St, Whitechapel. The first 2 children Isaac and Louise were born in London then Max (Marks) in Newcastle on Tyne and Dora(Doris) born Manchester. The family then went to NY, there in 1880, 1890 not available, 1900 he is a widower, not on 1910.
    The tree you looked at is the US descendant's and she has just discovered (since going over her research for me) she has the wrong death cert for Levi/Louis/Lewis Davis and has arranged to purchase another possibility after 1900 from FamilySearch. We can only hope this is the correct one and that it is full of answers to sort out all the questions.
    Thanks a million for your help.

11. Sandiep

sorry couldnt help more, but will keep a look out

HildaW likes this.
  12. Lone Pine

Lone Pine Her Grandad would be so proud of her

OOo I wonder if you have a Philip Green entered into your book, this was my Nanny's second Husband its a bit sketchy I am afraid, but it seems he was born in Hackney in 1888 that is about all I can tell you he died in 1958 way before I was born. Have no idea who his parents were or brothers and sisters, its a part of the tree my Aunty was doing out in Australia, before we had to split the tree.

13. Sandiep

sorry Lone Pine, only Phillip Green in my books was born 1851, The books I have have mostly earlier dates.........are you certain he was born Hackney? I can see a death in Hackney, but a Philip Green son of Louis and Catherine in Bethnal green is one that seems to show on census?