Harold Augustus HODGES

Discussion in 'WWI (1914 - 1918)' started by The Artful Dodger, Apr 11, 2014.

1. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

Well, I'm back to researching specific sons of William Abraham Hodges and have hit a bit of a block on the Military Career of Harold Augustus.

I know that he was Gazetted as a 2nd Lt. in the 3rd. Btn. Monmouthshire Regiment 29 August 1914.

After the regiment was disbanded in July 1916, he became attached to 11th Btn. Sourh Lancashire Regiment.

He served in France for all of his career, eventually reaching the rank of Captain and appears to have been twice mentioned in Despatches.

He was Killed in Action on the night of 24 March 1918. - source: Biographies section "With Rifle and Pick" by Janet and John Dixon.

I have the Probate Register record of 27 January 1920 when probate was granted to 2 of brothers - Leslie Noel and Cecil Stuart Hodges. Value of Estate was 9,861 pounds.

He never married to my knowledge.

I cannot find out much more of his life in France that resulted in the 2 mentions in Despatches, nor can I find his Service Records and Meal Index Cards on Ancestry. Can anyone assisr with this aspect of his life?

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

The CWGC has Harold as:
    Son of William A. Hodges, J.P. and Augusta Hodges, of "Oaklands," Bromley Park, Kent.

Meanwhile, whilst I know that you are not too keen on TNA Colin, you may find this to be of interest. It should provide some background to the movements of the 11th Btn South Lancs Regt.

Meanwhile, I have detached this query from your Baptism thread in Church Records and moved it over to WW1, which is more relevant. :)

The Artful Dodger likes this.
  3. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

His medal card is on Ancestry (assuming there are not two Harold Augustus Hodges). R J Hodges (brother) given as address for correspondence - Ravone?, Willaston, Nr. Birkenhead.

4. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman. Rest in Peace.

Source: London Gazette 22 March 1910 [page 2034]>

"Unattached List for the Territorial Force

Harold Augustus Hodges to be Second Lieutenant, for service with the Tonbridge School Contingent, Junior Division, Officers Training Corps. Dated 31st January 1910."

5. Flook

He doesn't appear to have been gazetted in The London Gazette for either Mention in Despatches which is must raise the question as to whether he was.

6. Flook

I've found that there is a book which would probably have his biography. It also has a lot of photographs for individuals mentioned in the book. I see ABE books have a copy on sale for £285 - oh dear…..

I've just checked and there are no copies in Canadian Libraries.

Title Tonbridge School and the Great War of 1914-1919 : a record of the services of Tonbridgians in the Great War of 1914-1919 : including, where possible, service up to October, 1923, or, in the case of those who did not hold regular commissions in H.M. or Allied Forces, to the termination of service.
    Imprint Tonbridge : Tonbridge School : The Whitefriars Press, 1923.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  7. Flook

OK Colin. I have sourced a copy of this book. I will PM you with details.

8. Flook

I think this thread can be put on hold for the moment if anyone's still researching it.

9. Flook

I'm sorry I doubted this. He was Mentioned in Field Marshal Haig's Despatches on 9th April 1917 and again on 7th November 1917. Clearly a very brave man.

10. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

If you google Captain Harold Augustus Hodges, then there has been quite a bit done on another forum back in 2007. Includes links to some pictures and some links that don't work, but the info must be out there for it to have been found before.

The Artful Dodger and Flook like this.
  11. Flook

Lovely photographs here….
    http://
    therugbyhistorysociety.co.uk/hodges.html

12. The Artful Dodger

Thank you, Flook, for posts #6,7,9 & 11 - as well as your email.

He was a wonderful and very brave man and I am proud to have him as a 4th Cousin. He epitomised the values of his Father and Grandfather - spouse of my 2nd Cousin. I believe he would - if he had survived - done much good in England.

Thank you, Jellylegs, for post #10. It was from that site that I obtained what I had previously. Nothing had been updated on it since 2007 and my failure to make contact with the posters had left me several 'hole's' I wanted to fill in.

I think I can allow him to Rest in Peace.

There are 6 siblings and/or half siblings that served in the Great War and I will undoubtedly need help with them.

If I may, I'll continue with them on this thread - so the title may need to be changed.

13. Daft Bat

So as not to get them mixed up, it might be better if you start a new thread. :)

14. The Artful Dodger

OK Jan - 6 new threads to come in due course.

Flook likes this.
  15. Daft Bat

Less confusing that way. One thread per person. Otherwise, you might get a reply for one person that is missed - not only by you but by others - because it is in the middle of replies for another. :eek:

16. Selby

Selby New Member

Hi,
    I'm new to the forum and I'm part of the heritage group at Trent Bridge cricket ground, Nottingham. We are researching cricketers who played for Nottinghamshire Cricket Club and died in WW1. There will be a plaque unveiling next year and we are hoping to invite relatives of the 6 Notts players who died, to the unveiling of the plaque. I see this thread is about Harold Augustus Hodges and if any has any information about any of Harold's surviving relatives and their whereabouts, I would be most grateful . Thank you,.
    Selby

Half Hour, Sis, MollyMay and 4 others like this.
  17. Flook

Capt. Harold A. Hodges was the fifth son of Mr. and Mrs. William Abraham Hodges, of The Hill, East Bridgford, Notts.
    Killed in Action at Ham, March 24th 1918, aged 32.

Selby - do you have a copy of his entry in 'Tonbridge School and the Great War of 1914-1919'? It's extensive and extremely informative. I can send you a copy if you want.

Sis and MollyMay like this.
  18. The Artful Dodger

Hello Selby. As I mentioned, Harold A. was a distant [4th cousin].

I have basic details of his siblings and parents, but sadly no photo's or records of service. I can share this limited information with you by message if you wish.

19. Selby

Selby New Member

Flook and Colin, thank you for your replies. I have a copy of his entry from the Tonbridge School archives. I do have some details of his siblings and parents , but if you could share your information with me, Colin, I will see if it matches up with mine. If not I will send you the information I have on Charles. I have managed to track down one living relative of one of the Nottinghamshire players and any further information you may have on Charles would be a great help.
    Thanks,
    Selby

20. The Artful Dodger

When you refer to CHARLES are you meaning Charles Henry who was baptised 6 November 1853 in Old Dalby?