Harold Brown born 1888 Queanbeyan

Discussion in 'Empire & Commonwealth' started by Shellymac, Jun 26, 2022.

1. Shellymac

Shellymac Well-Known Member

Hi I am looking for information on Harold Brown born 1888 to Margaret Brown. Margaret was in Court for an offence and the judge sent Harold and his sister Elizabeth to Sydney in January 1895 as she had no means to keep them.
    Harold was sent to the Sobraon Training ship but I found a snippet in the paper saying that he was in the care of Mrs Moanson at 37 Ross Rd Surry Hills. This is the last info that I can find on him. I have sent for a death certificate in 1974 and that will arrive late this week. I have looked on Ancestry but can’t find a thing on him. Can anybody help with this.

2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Hi Michelle,
    There is a probate packet for him at State Archives.
    Harold Joseph BROWNE died Paddington 8/4/1974 granted 24/7/1974
    NRS-13660-70
    Series 4
    Not sure if it is the one you want as there are few of the same name on trove, with or without the 'e'
    Death notice for the above on Ryerson Index but so far not on Trove.

3. Archie's Mum

There is also an Exemption Application refusal for Harold Joseph Browne of Queanbeyan at Exemption Court Sitting Queanbeyan in The Queanbeyan Age 3/11/1916. Cant find a record on National Archives for a Harold that fits re WW1 attestation. But there is a court martial for a fellow of the same name, service number 52, not yet examined.
    Ryerson Index: Browne Harold Joseph died 8/4/1974 age 85 late of Paddington. SMH 10/4/1974 and Daily Telegraph same date

4. Shellymac

We looked at this court martial and I think you found out that he was from SA.
    I haven’t found him with Joseph in his name, it is not on his birth certificate

5. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

I think this one can be discounted, he died in 1952 and was the son of James Joseph BROWN and Amelia Elizabeth nee AFFORD.
    https://vwma.org.au/explore/people/126527

Archie's Mum likes this.
  6. Archie's Mum

Im sure we saw somewhere that he was Harold Joseph. When he wasn't granted an exemption for Military service in 1916 he said he had one married brother. Sidney Patrick married Laura V Keech in Moss Vale in 1915. Laura Victoria Browne died in Queanbeyan in 1973.
    In 1941 a Harold Joseph Browne enlisted. Born 1916. His was living in Annandale with his father also Harold Joseph Browne at 284 Nelson Street Annandale. Annandale is near Surry Hills where was as a child. Not saying at all that this is him but worth maybe having a look.
    Thanks @Chimp That discounts the court martial Harold but maybe not the Exemption Harold. Service number 52 is a really early number way before 1916.

7. Chimp

Be careful as there was more than one Harold Brown sent to the Sobraon training ship. There was your Harold in 1895 and another by the same name in 1905.

Archie's Mum likes this.
  8. Archie's Mum

When Mary Amelia died she had brothers Harold and Sidney 'of Sydney and Queanbeyan' which I assume to mean that Harold was of Sydney and Sidney was of Queanbeyan.

9. Shellymac

That’s how I read it as well, that Harold lived in Sydney. But I sure can’t find him.

10. Shellymac

I also found the second one as well. But I can’t find the record of entry for my Harold only the second one. Did you fined the entrance records for my Harold?

11. Chimp

No I didn't sorry.

12. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

This is so mystifying with a 2nd Christian name. Today I found same with a birth in UK- Marriage & death in Australia, but ony the death has a 2nd Christian name. Made for much scrolling & turning about to see if same chap. Probably but where in heck did they find a 2nd Christian name. Not so far found a Christening in UK. Must wonder if a relly died some where & he took on that name a second name?

13. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

I have same with one of my ancestors I always assumed that the son George was told he was named after his father and so thought his father was also George Frederick and not just plain George, if that makes sense

14. Archie's Mum

Not so mystifying...... Mary Amelia was born Mary Fitzgerald but married and died as Mary Amelia. Why could not the boys pick up their second names when they were baptised? In particular, as they were Irish descent they would have been baptised RC. Sydney Patrick and Harold Joseph.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  15. Archie's Mum

Should have added that Sydney was registered as Sydney (no middle name) Brown but died as Sydney Patrick.
    Also with the admittance of Harold to the training ship, I think the 1905 one is too late to be him because he would have been 17 years of age and possibly 18.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
    Ma-dotcom likes this.
  16. Archie's Mum

As mentioned in your other thread...this is where Harold was as reported in the Queanbeyan Age Sept 7th 1895.
    Mr E. W. O'Snllivan will visit Qunanbeyan
    next Saturday, 14th inst., and will be glad
    to see any of his constituents on that day.
    At the request of the mother, Mr
    O'Sullivan has had a search made for the
    whereabouts of ahboy named Harold Brown,
    and having lost the address of the woman,
    desires us to state that the boy is in the
    care of Mrs'Moanson, .37 Rose-road, Surry
    Hills.
    Copied directly from Trove without edits.
    So he was with Mrs Moanson in 1895 but did she pass him on to the training ship?
    He was very young though.

17. Shellymac

I wonder who this lady was. I wonder why we can’t find the entry records for Harold and Elizabeth when they were sent to Sydney.

18. Archie's Mum

There are a whole team of children on the Dependant Child Register under the guardianship of Margaret Moanson including one Harold Brown DoB 26/8/1888, mother Margaret Brown no father, who came into her foster care 22/1/1895.
    State Records NSW
    There is also a death register for her 7/3/1935 Marrickville Prbate granted 4/4/1935

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
    Chimp likes this.
  19. Archie's Mum

You can access the file through State Records....
    Harold Brown:
    Six years 5 months RC
    Mother bad character convicted at Queanbeyan. Child received from police. Has daughter Lily 18 years recently has been girls ref (reform?) Parramatta and son Patrick 6 and a half living with her at Crawford St Queanbeyan. (then a date 21/10/1900)

Chimp likes this.
  20. Archie's Mum

Here is the file...hope it works
    Code:
    https://content.archives.nsw.gov.au/delivery/StreamGate?dps_pid=FL2988942&dps_dvs=1656303099432~848
    Have no idea who Lily is! It cant be Mary Amelia because the dates dont add up.

Chimp likes this.