Harry Drayton 1880-1898

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Chimp, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Don't you just hate it when you get a titbit of something and then nothing else :mad:

Harry was my grandfathers half brother who was killed when he was just 18.

Hull Daily Mail - 30th August 1898
    Yesterday, Mr A. Iveson opened an inquest at Scunthorpe, on the body of Harry Drayton (18) who died on Saturday night at the Fordingham Cottage Hospital from injuries received at the North Lincolnshire Iron Company's works, during shunting operations. After formal evidence, the inquiry was adjourned until September 5th, for the attendance of the Government Inspector.

Stamford Mercury - 9th September 1898
    THE FATAL SHUNTING ACCIDENT. - The adjourned inquiry into the death of a shunter named Harry Drayton, at North Lincs. Ironworks on 29th ult., was held at the Court-house by Coroner Iveson on Monday. After hearing the evidence of Dr. Couldrey, Mr A. Anderson, manager North Lincoln Works, Fred Whitelock, driver, Charles Seeley, metal carrier, and Ed. Marshall, yard foreman, the inquest was again adjourned, through the non-attendance of the inspector of factories, until the 12th inst.

Stamford Mercury - 16th September 1898
    SCUNTHORPE. - The inquest on the body of Harry Drayton, twice adjourned, was re-opened on Monday by the coroner (Mr. A. Iveson), Capt. Smith, the inspector of factories, being present. It will be remembered that deceased met his death at the North Lincoln Works on 27th of August during shunting operations. The evidence was again gone through, and jury returned a verdict of "accidental death."

I have sent for the pdf of his death certificate. At least I may find what he actually died from, if I can't find out what happened.

Archie's Mum likes this.
  2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Lots of deaths happen when shunting. Terrible job. Poor thing.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  3. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I've only managed to find one more report which gives the actual cause of death -
    Lincolnshire Echo 29th August 1898
    Fatality at Frodingham – On Saturday, a young man named Drayton was crushed between two waggons at the North Lincolnshire Iron Company’s Works. It was thought at first that the injuries were not of a very serious nature, but he succumbed later in the day.

I'll keep looking......:reading:

Ma-dotcom and Chimp like this.
  4. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Thank you @AnnB At least that gives me some more infor mation.

AnnB likes this.