Have I Found A Bigamist?

Discussion in 'Staffordshire' started by Bonzo Dog, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Bonzo Dog

Bonzo Dog Still the Mad Scientist?

Middleton Robotham married Mary Johnson in 1777 at All Saints, Leigh and by 1790 had fathered 6 children, the youngest of whom was also named Middleton, while in 1794 Middleton Robotham married Mary Tomlinson at St Werburgh, Hanbury and fathered 2 children. The marriage at Leigh was after Banns but by licence at Hanbury. Both records carry "the mark of" for Middleton.

The only birth record I can find is for Middleton jr born in 1790 at Leigh. 2 death records have come to light, 1 in Birmingham in 1838 for a 10 years lad and a burial record dated 1822 at Hanbury. This record gives an inferred YOB of 1752. There is a record for the burial of a Mary Robotham, also born ca 1752, at Leigh, but this is dated 1814.

2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Family Search has one Middleton being born in 1752 the other in 1790 but their deaths are only 2 years apart. I forget which but one died in 1820, the other in 1822. Perhaps dad remarried in 1794 and had more children.

Bay Horse and Ma-dotcom like this.
  3. Archie's Mum

Children of Middleton (1752) and Mary Johnson. Married Leigh
    Hannah 1778, Leigh
    George 1780, Leigh
    Sarah 1782 Leigh
    Mary 1785 Leigh
    Betty 1788 Leigh
    Middleton 1790 Leigh
    Children of Middleton and Mary Tomlinson married Hanbury
    Ann 3/7/1795 Hanbury
    William 1/1/1795 Hanbury
    Ann 3/7/1796 Hanbury (could be a typo of first Ann)
    I think Mary number 1 must have died 1790-1794

Bay Horse and Ma-dotcom like this.
  4. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Like Sue I'm thinking the marriage to Mary Tomlinson is a second marriage but the burial of a Mary Robotham in 1814 does muddy the water somewhat.

Alternatively was the Mary Robotham buried in 1814 the wife of another Robotham, perhaps married to a brother or cousin of Middleton.

It would be perhaps prudent to try and find another burial for a Mary Robotham with a search 1789 to 1795 and another Robotham marriage where the spouse is a Mary.

Archie's Mum likes this.
  5. Archie's Mum

If my memory serves me correctly, the death in 1814 of Mary Robotham is listed with father Robotham, mother Robotham. I will stand corrected but I’m sure that’s what I spied on FS....FS being my only reference spot. :(

Findem likes this.
  6. Bonzo Dog

As written in the All Saints register, found on FMP:

Screen Shot 2017-12-18 at 07.15.11.png

Archie's Mum likes this.
  7. Bonzo Dog

I already had the 1794 and 1822 Hanbury marriage and burial and was actually trying to work out just if and where this guy sat in my tree. Finding the 6 Leigh baptisms, and then the marriage entry was a surprise, meaning my immediate assumption was a 1790-1794 burial either at Leigh or Hanbury. A search of the Leigh burial registers with the only criteria being the name Mary Robotham brought 2 hits, in 1748 and 1812. When the search was repeated on the Hanbury records, 4 events came up; 1681, 1745, 1753 and 1821. The last entry was for a child. A 3rd search with only the burial years 1790-1794 in any Staffordshire parish specified brought just one hit, an unrelated Mary Ann buried at Stafford.

Archie's Mum likes this.
  8. Archie's Mum

There is a Mary Robotham baptised in 1752 Leigh to William and Elizabeth Robotham too.

Bonzo Dog likes this.
  9. Bonzo Dog

She could well be the one who was buried in 1812. If so, then I'm now missing 2 burials. :( :D

Archie's Mum likes this.
  10. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

The Lichfield Marriage Licence record dated 14 May 1794 shows that Middleton ROBOTHAM was supposedly a widower when he married Mary TOMLINSON. However, given the burial record for Mary ROBOTHAM at Leigh in 1814 which gives a birthdate of c1752, there is a baptism at Leigh on 14 May 1753 for a Mary daughter of George & Sarah JOHNSON. Sounds a bit dodgy, doesn't it.

Middleton ROBOTHAM was buried in Hanbury in 1822, aged 70, giving a birthdate of c1752, but can I find a baptism for him - no such luck. You would think with a name like that, it would be relatively easy wouldn't you and there are no helpful witnesses to either marriage!

Janet

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    Bonzo Dog likes this.
  11. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

Is this of any interest? FS have from Cheshire parish records, a burial on 15 Jan 1793 of a Mary, age 37, wife of Middleton Rowbotham , at Christ Church Macclesfield.

Findem and Bonzo Dog like this.
  12. Bonzo Dog

Try as I might Janet, I can't find any connection to my main Robotham branch, so I'm disowning him. :D

13. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Interesting!

Edited to add: Wondering, is it possible that Middleton and family moved after the baptism of Middleton junior to Macclesfield for a brief spell?

Bonzo Dog likes this.
  14. Archie's Mum

I have found only one baptism of a Rowbotham/all spellings, in 1752 and it is the child of William Rowbotham and Elizabeth at Pott-Shrigley Chapelry, Cheshire.
    I wonder!!!
    Forget that, it was a girl......

Bonzo Dog likes this.
  15. Bonzo Dog

Macclesfield is only 20 km or so north of Leigh/Hanbury so it seems well within the realms of possibility.

Findem likes this.
  16. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

What also crossed my mind was that perhaps Middleton having lost his first wife whilst at Macclesfield then decided to move back to be near relatives, having children he would need support with caring for his children.

Of course finding a new wife would be high on his priorities, perhaps a friend or relative tipped him off about Mary Tomlinson as a prospective second wife, so perhaps that is the reason Middleton moved from Macclesfield to Hanbury.

Bonzo Dog and Archie's Mum like this.
  17. Bonzo Dog

I very much doubt we will ever be able to prove the question one way or the other but your thinking here Derek is along the exact same lines as mine. Members of the Robotham family pop up in all manner of places in north Staffordshire and Cheshire in the 16th and 17th centuries. It's circumstantial at best, but add to that the fact that a 3rd marriage where a Mary became Mrs R in the mid 1700's has yet to be found. I'm also inclined to think that the Mary Robotham who died in Leigh Workhouse was unmarried, and an unintentional water muddier.

18. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

When I'm in a similar position to you with your Robotham mob I remind my self that as time goes by new records come on line which could solve the mystery. Also there's always the chance, especially with the Robots flitting in and out of numerous sites, that someone unknown as yet becomes known and could supply the mystery solving info. As the saying goes where there's life there's hope.

janetbooth, Daft Bat and Sis like this.