Hawksley occupations

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Oz Faremeister, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Oz Faremeister

Oz Faremeister Active Member

If I understand Chris' research correctly, the conundrum is did George Hawksley of Sheffield have 3 sons, George, John and Thomas? Did George stay out of the British Army, unlike John or Thomas, but did George move from Sheffield to the Shinrone in Ireland because John and Thomas were both stationed nearby at Birr? It is an interesting hypothesis that deserves more follow up research. A dna test may be the quickest and simplest way to prove or disprove the hypothesis.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  2. Chris Goodman

Chris Goodman New Member

I don't know when George Hawksley wrote his Will, usually it is at the last minute, but the 1810 date is the probate date, which matches the year when he died. If he writes in the Will, to George eldest son of my son John, it is game set and match. I very much doubt he knew about his Canadian grandchildren.

You may not match with me on an Ancestry, but if you match with any of half a dozen names on Ancestry who I know are John Hawksley's descendants this will prove that your ancestor was John Hawksley. I think this is a distinct possibility. I can then give you what I know about his Sheffield ancestors.

Ma-dotcom and Oz Faremeister like this.
  3. Chris Goodman

Chris Goodman New Member

We don't know when John Hawksley went out to Ireland. It could be any time after 1795 when he joined the army. We know there was an Irish rebellion in 1798. We also know that it was no later than 1799, if the date of his wedding in Birr is correct. Obviously you have a much better idea of what is plausible than I do, but I do know that within a short time after his arrival in Canada he got a local girl pregnant.

Oz Faremeister likes this.
  4. Oz Faremeister

Hi Chris, found my John Hawksley research on Topdogs under the thread "Where was George Oxley/Hawksley of Shinrone born and where did he die", so I suggest you have a read of that. My research did not pick up the Canadian children of John Hawksley, but his Irish family is a match to your research. I suspect George is not John's son but do wonder whether he could be Thomas Hawksley's son. Will need to get back home before I can investigate that thought bubble though. George can only be John Hawksley's son if he was illegitimate as George was born circa 1795 to 1796. It seems unlikely that John would name an illegitimate child after his own father, but who knows?

5. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Oz Faremeister, Ma-dotcom and Eve like this.
  6. Chris Goodman

Chris Goodman New Member

Code:
    https://www.offalyhistory.com/family-history
    This non-profit site helps people trace families in Offaly county. It might be worth asking them for some help, because they have access to local records. Although Fancroft and Shinrone are close to Birr (and are all in Offaly county) and the Oxley surname does seem to be Hawksley, which is an unusual name in Ireland, I agree with you that the fact that George Oxley was born c1796, and is living with a sister Mary born c1810, decreases the likelihood that there is any connection with the John Hawksley who lived in Orr (from at least 1799) and who until his retirement in 1817 served in the artillery in Ireland and Canada. My guess is that John Hawksley was sent to Ireland in 1798 during the Irish rebellion.

It does not rule it out however, because the ages on the Census can be out by a couple of years, as is the case with John Hawksley, who is listed as born c1773 when he was actually born in 1771. What I have done is prove that he is the John Hawksley who was born in Yorkshire, and that he had families in both Ireland and Canada. It is possible that he had more than one family in Ireland (given his history!!!) but the only way to prove it (one way or another) is to take an Ancestry DNA test, because some of his descendants have taken the test.

7. Oz Faremeister

Interesting speculation. Only a few more weeks left until I return home and can perhaps start progressing with this puzzle.

Daft Bat likes this.
  8. Oz Faremeister

Hi Chris, have arrived home and will start looking into George Hawksley shortly, and about taking a DNA test following that.

9. Oz Faremeister

Chris, an unverified family tree on familysearch has George Hawksley of Owlerton's parents being John Hawksley born circa 1715 who married 28-02-1737 in Sheffield to Elizabeth Glossop and his grandparents as being John Hawksley (died 1745) who married Margaret Axe. Supposedly George Oxley's siblings were Mary (b.1739), Sarah (b.1747), Martha (b.1749), John (b.1753) and Peggy (b.1755). Have you checked any of that??

10. Chris Goodman

Chris Goodman New Member

Yes, I put that family tree up. It is all based on original records.

11. Chris Goodman

Chris Goodman New Member

What DNA results you get on Ancestry will clinch it one way or the other depending on your matches.

12. Oz Faremeister

I have decided to order an Ancestry.com DNA test. They have a notice up on their website saying there may be issues so I will order the test kit once that notice has been taken down. Hopefully we will know by the end of 2022 if we match. I will look into John's brother Thomas Hawksley in the meantime.

Even if we are not a match, a DNA test may help me get through a road block on the Meredith side of my ancestry.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
    Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  13. Chris Goodman

Chris Goodman New Member

Even if we don't personally match, if you match with any of a short list of Ancestry matches known to be descended from John Hawksley that will be enough. Even if there is no match that is itself a discovery, and as you say the Ancestry DNA test should also help you with other lines. Put as much of your reliable family tree into Ancestry as possible (it does not have to be public some opt to keep it private although keeping it public helps other people) and Ancestry Thrulines will do the work for you by connecting you to other family trees via your DNA matches and telling you which lines of yours are very likely to be correct.

14. Oz Faremeister

Chris, I have ordered the kit and have started entering the family tree into Ancestry.com. Will inform you once there are any matches. Tree is under the username farefam. It will take me a while to finish putting most of the tree online.

15. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

A small GEDCOM with selected people would be a quick way of uploading to your new tree.