Help need with UK Censuses & a marriage.

Discussion in 'British Census' started by Ma-dotcom, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Sadly I have need of assistance again.Having recently disencumbered him of a wife & family,I need to refind my 1cx2r. He is of my Maternal G'Mother's family- being the son of her Father's sister. 'Edwin Thompson' [ not Edwin Henry]
    I'd had him in my files since from the very beginnings of my searches with no dissent. Now a DNA match has 'his spouse' attached to another man of same name [with 2nd initial 'H'] same birth year.& county. proven by me. :(

I have his 1841 & 1861 census entries but no 1871.

Only one Edwin Thompson b. Sevenoaks in 1852 +-2yrs. RGO. [Mmn Humphrey]

: HO107; Piece: 473; Book: 3; Civil Parish: Goudhurst; County: Kent; Enumeration District: 4; Folio: 47; Page: 3; Pts Isaac & Mary

1861 listed as 'Ealvin' bad writing on image Pts Isaac & Mary
    Class: RG 9; Piece: 464; Folio: 209; Page: 16;

His earliest marriage I cannot prove on the viewing- the same age & Place of birth in 1891-RG12-343/folio 51-58 Park st. St. Saviour Southwark West.

1901 census RG13/ Piece:400/ Folio:27/ Page Number:48 at Rotherhithe, 51 Paradise St.
    Wife ' Adelaide' c. 1843-'1837' in Pancras. :rolleyes:

Possibly him in 1911 at 75 Hawkstone Rotherhithe Southwark- Electoral registers.

1st marriage as I have found from the above was to 1890 Adelaide Eaves nee Pearce.-Maidstone, but that marriage lists an Edwin Frank Thompson, Never seen a second name for Edwin.
    An Edwin Frank was born in 1867 Mmn Roberts [name of incorrect spouse of Edwin] He & Adelaide appear in censuses through to 1939.

There are several marriages for an Edwin but civil, with no Father's name & I cannot find him in 1871 to prove any of them.

The only provable marriage is in 1912-Feb.18th St. Luke, Deptford, Lewisham, Surrey. with father Isaac- Blacksmith. Found later in electoral records for Trundley's Rd. Deptford.

I realise this is a big ask but I need eyes & thinkers without my emotional hangups at the moment, if anyone can please assist in putting my families back together, most grateful for any input. :nailbiting:

2. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

The only 18 year (b. 1853) old I can find in Farnborough, Bromley, Kent, in 1871, this is where he was in 1861. has no name.

He is in Bromley Union Workhouse Locks Bottom, Farnborough, Bromley, Kent

Like I said no name given, the entry reads:-

An idiot found, brought in by police.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  3. Ma-dotcom

Thank you for trying Chimp, various family members were at times listed in the Farnborough area, & Edwin may have been called an idiot for leaving home, otherwise I cannot dispute or verify that finding.

Chimp likes this.
  4. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

This ones father on his marriage was Thomas Thompson a millwright.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  5. Ma-dotcom

Happy to report- wrong father, Definitely father is Isaac b. 1823 Cranbrook, Kent. ;)

Chimp likes this.
  6. Brentor boy

Brentor boy Well-Known Member

Not sure if you have this but the names Isaac Thompson and Mary Humphry appear on same page of marriage register for Hollingbourne DecQ 1850.
    This ties in with birth entry you have for Edwin and parentage in 1841.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  7. Ma-dotcom

8. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

now I am confused I found an Isaac born 1823 Cranbrook Kent but his father is John mother Frances
    The Isaac married 16 Nov 1850 married to Mary Humphrey has a father down as William Thompson
    so what name have you down or am I searching for totally wrong person(not unusual)

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  9. Sandiep

The marriage in 1912 says he is a widower so must be another somewhere
    has him as a Dock Labourer age 60 M Ethel Harrison a spinster age 41

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  10. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

There is a death registered for Adelaide Thompson Dec qtr 1910 St Olave 1d 136

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  11. Sandiep

it says she was b 1836 I know its possible but she would be 17 yrs older?

MollyMay and Ma-dotcom like this.
  12. Ma-dotcom

Thanks for looking Sandie, Isaac is the son of the alleged 'John' Thompson & wife Frances Thorn. I have had issues with this since I found Isaac's baptism. His father was 'William' Thompson,- I believe it to be another Vicarly bloop. I was reassured when- I think in 1881- his brother James visited Isaac with his family, the only contact I've seen with his pts or siblings.

Re Adelaide 1891 has her age as 10 yrs older, 1901 she is 4 yrs older. There are several 'Adelaides' born in Pancras -as she claimed-between 1840-1845 which is as far as I looked.

His marriage image shows him to be a dock lab'r. in 1912

@MollyMay , Thank you also, yes that is the death I chose as being closest to hers before Edwin's 1912 marriage. I find myself wondering if there wwere not actually married & thus Adelaide was not buried as 'Thompson'.

MollyMay likes this.
  13. Ma-dotcom

Having lost this family, today I found myself somehow looking at another line in Sussex- sister of my 2nd Gt. G'Father [who came to Australia & fathered my Paternal line.]
    She & her 2nd Husband had 5 children one of whom was without spouse & children. Now they have 10 children who have kept me busy today finding spouses etc for them.
    He does work in mysterious ways doesn't He?

Sandiep, MollyMay, Daft Bat and 3 others like this.