Help Needed

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by MollyMay, Feb 16, 2019.

1. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Would anyone like to share my headache?

A long standing brick wall relates to George Clifford/Clifton, the names are totally interchangeable.
    The places Finmere and Tingewick are on the county boundaries of Oxfordshire/Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire.

His son Thomas is my direct line and I am happy to have him sorted, it is his father who is the mystery man.

Here is what I know (all the Oxfordshire records are on Anc.)

1777 George marries Mary Cosby* in Finmere (Oxfordshire), he is noted as of this parish. The marriage is by licence (anyone know if they still exist?)
    Elizabeth Clifton is born 1778 and bap. in Finmere, she is buried there in 1779
    Thomas Clifford is born in 1787 and baptised in Tingewick (Buckinghamshire) from FS - I have never found a death for him
    It does seem to be a large gap with no children born (I have not found any)
    Mary dies in 1792, and is buried in Finmere with the note - wife of George Clifford of Tingewick
    *I have a bap for Mary Cosby in 1745 in Brackley Northamptonshire.

1793 George Clifford of the parish of Tingewick marries Mary Pool[e] - he has no status (ie batchelor/widower)
    I have a bap for another son Thomas Clifford 1797 in Tingewick [FS], but no death/burial
    I have a burial for a son William Clifford in Finmere 1799 noted as son of George and Mary, but no bap (I suppose this could be Thomas b1797 and the name was wrongly entered).
    Thomas Clifton is bapt in Finmere in 1799 (my man)
    William Clifford is bap in Finmere in 1801 (I have him through to his death)

George is buried in Finmere in 1820 with an age of 66 giving a y.o.b. as 1754
    Mary died in 1827 and is buried in Finmere
    There is no bap. for a George Clifford/Clifton Tingewick

I have been trying, in vain, to find a birth/bap for George c1754
    There is a George Clifton bap in Hook Norton, Oxfordshire in 1750 to John and Elizabeth - there are 4 othere siblings, but not a Thomas. I feel sure that 'my' man was either the son of a Thomas or had a brother Thomas as he uses the name for 3 of his sons (does any else agree?).
    Anc have a George Clifford bap at Stow on the Wold Gloucestershire in 1747, but the image clearly shows the name is Francis.

Well done if you have managed to stay with this, and I would be grateful for any help or suggestions.

One other little clue (or not) in 1798 a Thomas and Ann Clifton bap a daughter in Finmere - Elizabeth (and a son William in 1801, same date as George's son William), but there is a note with Elizabeth's bap that they are from Hunt Hill, in the parish of Westbury (Gloucestershire). I have been throught the Westbury on Severn PR's and cannot find any Clifford/Clifton entries. Could this Thomas be a brother to my George?

Dogsday likes this.
  2. burt

burt Where there's a will there's a way!

If you Google 'Oxfordshire Marriage Allegations' you will find a list of all
    of them. Read the notes at the beginning first so you are aware of what
    a.u. means for example [and upward]. George was 24 and Mary 21.

Ma-dotcom and Dogsday like this.
  3. MollyMay

Thank you very much Burt

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  4. MollyMay

Thanks to Burt I have now found the marriage licence but it throws into doubt the baptism for Mary in Brackley (1746), but can I find anything nearer to
    1756 which the licence suggests her dob is:headbang:? Of course not:(.

GrannyBarb and Dogsday like this.
  5. Murfomurf

Murfomurf Active Member

I had a look on FreeReg for George's baptism but only came up with 2 in Nottinghamshire, right up north in Worksop and East Retford. I'll have a look for Mary next time I'm using FreeReg.

MollyMay likes this.