Help please with some handwriting

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Findem, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

It's on the second page and the fourth line from the top on that page.

I can see Elizabeth daughter of ? Young was baptised?????

Hoping someone can decipher any of the following: father's first name, day and month.

It is a 1663 Little Dunmow, Essex, baptism.

Ancestry's Essex Parish Register Index gives only Elizabeth Young baptised 1663 Little Dunmow.
    Free Reg has Elizabeth Young baptised ** 1663 Little Dunmow, Essex, father Will.

I couldn't make out Will in the image.

Attached Files:

2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

March 14th 1663....as to his name ?????

MollyMay likes this.
  3. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

I think I can see Wm, but that could be because I am trying to make it read Williamo_O

Archie's Mum likes this.
  4. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Actually if you go 6 down there is Will son of....there is very feint W visible on your Elizabeth’s line that looks very much like the W of the later line.

MollyMay likes this.
  5. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

You are right, you can see the horizontal line in Findem's entry which is also on the 'Will' entry below.:)

6. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Many thanks for that Sue and MollyMay, much appreciated.

I had hoped you would say the father's name was anything but Will because there was another Elizabeth Young the daughter of William and Elizabeth baptised 31 May 1661 at nearby Great Dunmow and I just cannot find a burial between 1661 and 1663 for her.

Several trees on Ancestry have my ancestor John Willowes aka Willis married to an Elizabeth Young 1683 at Shalford, no one had the day and month of the marriage. I have searched using all the variations I can come up with and the * wild card in all manner of ways, nothing!

It has been suggested that some pages around that time are missing so the Shalford marriage could be there pre 1684, I am going the check that out with the ERO Archivists, probably will take a while to receive an answer but I'll post the result.

The first known child of John and Elizabeth Willowes was their son John Willowes baptised 13 Apr 1684 at Shalford.

John Willowes wife was definitely an Elizabeth, I have put a lot of effort into trying to prove or disprove that Elizabeth Young was John's wife, I have failed to disprove it. For once those Public Trees although having no proof that John's wife is Elizabeth Young, I believe they are correct :eek: :D, obviously, at least one person put in the work. :)

If anyone has conflicting opinions please feel free to post.

Regards.

MollyMay and Archie's Mum like this.