Help with a death certificate

Discussion in 'United States of America' started by mugwortismy cat, Jul 5, 2020.

1. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

This is one of cousin Esther's step-grandchildren, don't ask why I am meandering, I haven't even finished her children yet, so why am I looking at her sister-wives? I give up on myself o_O

Anyway, I am trying to understand cause of death, what I have is:

? resulting from multiple trophic lesions, due to pressure over bony prominences, and imperfect resistance of tissues.

Contributory: Paralytic amentia dating from about first year (which is a polite way of saying he is severely intellectually challenged I think, as well as paralysed)

I do actually think the first word could be Asthenic, which means weak, but I can't work out what the whole sentence means in terms of what could be wrong with him. Does it mean bedsores?

record-image_ (2).jpg

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Asthenia: lethargy.

I wonder if they had a condition that results in a build up of hardening over joints.

Back in the mists of time, I was a disability consultant. One of my clients had this condition but I cannot remember the name of it. It meant that, if any pressure was placed regularly on a particular part of her body, especially where there was a joint such as wrist, knuckles, hips etc then lesions would build up resulting in the inability to move that joint. She couldn't type any more as a result of her condition and so used voice recognition software. This was way back when it was in its infancy.

She knew that her condition would one day cause her not to be able to move, and became very exhausted, but at least technology was there to help in the 1990s - not like the 1920s. :(

Ma-dotcom and mugwortismy cat like this.
  3. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

Yes pressure sores of some kind. Asthenia - intense lethargy, Amentia Severe disability. Perhaps they were bedridden and didn't get turned regularly. Poor person they must have been in so much pain. I have never come across this before as a cause of death, how old was he/she? :)

mugwortismy cat likes this.
  4. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

he was 22, and been in this condition since about 1 year old, perhaps he had grown too much for his mother to manage?

5. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

Yes perhaps. Help was harder to get in those days it must have been so difficult for his mother.

mugwortismy cat likes this.