Help with Stubbs family

Discussion in 'Shropshire' started by Adam McGregor, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Adam McGregor

Adam McGregor Active Member

Hello,

I’ve reached a series of dead ends. Here’s where I’m stuck:

Thomas and Mary Stubbs, who christened my ancestor Joseph Stubbs in Moreton Say in 1763. I don’t have their marriage nor any information on them prior to the marriage

Samuel and Sarah Smith, who christened my ancestor Sarah Smith in Moreton Say in 1766. Same scenario regarding their parentage

I’d appreciate any help!

Adam

2. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Adam,

If you can access FMP, they have the parish registers of Moreton Say available to view. There are quite a few STUBBS records prior to 1763, the year of Joseph's baptism. There are also a couple of burial records, both in 1779, for a Mary wife of Thomas STUBBS and another for Thomas STUBBS soon after.

The first baptism I can find for a child of Thomas & Mary STUBBS at Moreton Say is that of a John in 1737 and the last is that of a George in 1768, so are these all the children of the same Thomas & Mary or 2 different generations? There is a gap in the baptisms between 1742 and 1758 which could indicate two different Thomas & Mary STUBBS or that the first Mary died and Thomas remarried or that they were living somewhere else in the intervening period. There is a marriage at Drayton on Hales (not too far from Moreton Say) in 1736 for a Thomas STUBBS & Mary REA (image available to view on FMP) which would fit in quite well with the first baptism at Moreton Say.

Your best bet might be to access the parish registers of Moreton Say on FMP - they also have some other Shropshire parish register images - either at your local library if it has a sub to FMP or a pay as you view sub especially as you have another family you are interested in.

Janet

Adam McGregor and Bonzo Dog like this.
  3. Adam McGregor

Hello Janet,

Thanks for looking into all that for me! I did have the 1779 burial down as ‘my’ Thomas, but if there were two couples it’s possible it isn’t. I’ll be sure to remove that date from my file. I did find one marriage for a Thomas Stubbs and a Mary Roe in nearby Ightfield (about 4 miles away) in 1750, so I think there’s a good chance that’s ‘my’ Thomas and Mary.

Thanks for all your help!

Adam

Dogsday likes this.
  4. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

There is a later burial record for a Thos STUBBS at Moreton Say in 1803 who could perhaps be your Thomas, but this is only a transcription, plus another burial record for a Mary STUBBS in 1798, actual parish register image for this burial. Just scrolled on from this Mary's burial record and the actual image is available for Thomas's burial in 1803 but there are no other details given. So it does look as if there were two Thomas & Mary STUBBS in Moreton Say.

Janet

Adam McGregor likes this.
  5. Adam McGregor

I’ll look into that. Thanks Janet!