Help with terminology?

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Amle, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Amle

Amle Well-Known Member

Seasons Greetings everyone.

With a New Year resolution of trying to tidy up my family tree I was wondering if anyone can tell me what this means? This extract is from the parish records Street, Somerset and it is the marriage of my GGGG grandfather and grandmother. I was curious to look at this again as it appeared Abraham Hill was a little old when he got married (by those days standards), I think about 45, so I thought I would check was he a widower? What comes up is the word 'SOJORNER'. There are others in the same records recorded as Bachelor and Screenshot 2020-01-01 at 09.01.27.png Widower, so what is this? With many thanks Elizabeth

2. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

The dictionary gives the meaning of sojourner as someone who resides temporarily in a place.

3. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

I was just about to write the same thing MM

Archie's Mum, MollyMay and Amle like this.
  4. Amle

Amle Well-Known Member

Thank you.
    They seem to have a lot of them in the records! I was expecting it to be something to do with marital status and perhaps its another case of me reading too much into things and expecting too much.:(