Help with the Goodman family (Bedfordshire)

Discussion in 'Bedfordshire' started by Adam McGregor, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Adam McGregor

Adam McGregor Active Member

Hello,

I'm struggling with my Goodman research. I have Dinah (Diana) Goodman christened in Milton Ernest in 1737. I don't have the date so if that could be provided I'd be very grateful. Her parents were Reuben and Mary Goodman. I don't have a marriage or burials for the couple, or a christening for Mary. Reuben was born in Wymington to Benjamin and Ann Goodman. I have no christenings for them prior to any marriage, and no marriage or burials.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Adam

2. Adam McGregor

Found plenty in about the past hour. Still nothing on the Goodman side, but found plenty on Mary Goodman, Reuben's wife. November 1737 allegedly christening date for Diana.

3. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

I did look, but none of the sites I use have any records for Befordshire:(

4. Adam McGregor

Not to worry. Thanks for looking!

5. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Any good?

Reuben Goodman
    Age 83
    Birth year 1700
    Burial date 05 Oct 1783, All Saints, Milton Ernest, Bedfordshire
    Denomination Anglican

6. Adam McGregor

That's terrific! Thanks.

7. Chimp

There are 2 burial records for Mary Goodman's

4th December 1753 and 21st September 1757

Both are at All Saints, Milton Ernest, Bedfordshire

No age or date's of birth are given for either.

8. Adam McGregor

I'll note that down. Thanks. Can you see a christening date for Dinah Goodman in Milton Ernest in 1737?

9. Chimp

Everywhere I have looked for her christening just has the year 1837, no actual date given.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  10. Adam McGregor

That is frustrating :( thanks for looking all the same. Can you find anything on Reuben Goodman? I note there is one christening in Wymington in 1704, son of Benjamin Goodman. Can you find anything on these Goodmans?

11. Chimp

Someone on Ancestry has the date of marriage for Reuben Goodan and Mary Hart as 1st August 1725 but there is no source.

They have the correct date of burial for Reuben, but then again they have no source.

I found his burial on Find My Past.

12. Chimp

They have that christening on FMP too, but there doesn't seem to be anything else.

13. Adam McGregor

No problem. Thanks for all your help!

Chimp likes this.
  14. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Bedfordshire FHS Name Index shows only 1737 as the baptismal date for Dinah as does the FMP transcription. Several other children baptised to Reuben & Mary GOODMAN, the first being Samuel on 30 April 1727, Reuben 25 April 1731, Mary 24 May 1735 and Dinah 1737. Bedfordshire FHS Name Index shows a marriage at Milton Ernest in 1725 for a Reuben GOODMAN and a corresponding entry for a Mary HART. The only baptism for a Reuben GOODMAN on the Index is that of the one at Wymington in 1705 (baptised 27 February 17004/05, son of Benjamin & Ann GOODMAN. The burial record for Reuben in 1783 on the Index shows that he was of Farndish.

I wonder if this could be the baptism of a brother to Reuben, given that his burial record shows he was of Farndish, as a Benj GOODMAN was baptised at Farndish in 1718 according to the Beds Name Index. Ah no, but he could perhaps be a relative - he was baptised 26 January 1717/18 son of Samuel & Susannah GOODMAN.

I cannot find a likely baptism for Benjamin nor a marriage on the Beds Name Index for a Benjamin GOODMAN to an Ann. However, Wymington is very close to the Northants border, so it may well be that Benjamin hailed from Northants. For example, the Northamptonshire Baptismal Index shows the baptism of a Benjamin GOODMAN at Wollaston - pretty close to Wymington - on 4 April 1680, son of Daniel & Hester. Farndish is only about 500 metres east of the Northants border, so it may well be that the GOODMANs hailed from Northamptonshire.

Janet

15. Adam McGregor

Thanks for all of that Janet!

16. Adam McGregor

Can you find anymore on Daniel and Hester Goodman?

17. Adam McGregor

I've found their marriage in Pavenham, Bedfordshire (Daniel is of Wollaston) and both were buried in Wollaston in 1715.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  18. janetbooth

There is one child baptised at Pavenham, i.e. John on 24 January 1678 (probably 1678/79) son of Daniel & Hester. Northamptonshire Baptismal Index shows the baptisms at Wollaston of Benjamin on 4 April 1680, Daniel on 20 October 1682, Henry on 10 December 1685, Mary on 21 December 1686, Sarah on 18 April 1689, Hester on 28 December 1691 and William on 26 June 1693. These records are confirmed by Ancestry's parish register of Wollaston.

Northants Marriage Index shows the marriage at Wellingborough on 30 August 1724 between James GOWARDS of the parish & Hester GOODMAN of Wollaston.

There is also a Henry GOODMAN married to an Ann who is having children in Wollaston from 1668 onwards - perhaps a relative?

Janet

19. Adam McGregor

Thanks! There's a good chance Henry Goodman is a relative. I haven't found christenings for Daniel Goodman or for Hester Creamer.

20. janetbooth

Marriage at Northampton St Sepulchre on 15 April 1708 of John GOODMAN of Woollaston & Elizabeth PERCIVALL of the parish which could be that of the John baptised in Pavenham. Henry GOODMAN looks to have married an Ann PALMER at Wollaston on 6 January 1716/17, both being of the parish.

You may have to spread your wings to yet another county for the baptism of Daniel GOODMAN. I couldn't find a baptism on Northants Baptismal Index 1650-1700 nor online, although of course he may have been born prior to 1650, but given that a lot of my Northants ancestors migrated backwards & forwards to Rutland, I thought I would have a look for any baptisms in Rutland. There is a baptism at Seaton, Rutland on 3 October 1652 of a Daniel GOODMAN son of Johannes GOODMAN. This Daniel does not seem to have been buried in Seaton and the only marriage I can find for a Daniel GOODMAN in Rutland is one in 1739 at Great Casterton so unlikely to be the one baptised in Seaton in 1652.

Sorry, visitors must go.

Janet