Help with Transcription

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Chimp, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Thank you Mrs M ;)

2. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Henry Elsmore was also voted onto the Knighton Urban Council in 1896. He retired from the position in 1905

Henry & Jane are buried in Knighton Cemetery, on the monument are the names of his granddaughters who died in Knighton and a daughter and grandchildren who were in South Africa.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  3. Mrs M

Mrs M New Member

My biennial response:(!)sorry for the delay! I didn't know that Henry had been on the local council, though there was a sense that was quite astute and had strong sense of responsibility. He lived in one of their houses in Victoria Road. It had a big garden but I think it has been built on now.

Yes,Henry Elsmore and Jane have quite a hefty monument in the cemetary. Jane's maiden name was Butler. Henry inherited a modest country estate from an uncle. His daughter went to S. Africa with her husband and Henry travelled there to visit them - I was told, twice. They were there when a railway was being built between Johannesburg and Capetown. They kept in touch with the family until the early 1900s and my relations said they were sent parcels of South African grapes. The daughter who went out, became ill and wanted to return to KNighton to die. Looks as though she had her wish.

Jellylegs, AnnB, Bay Horse and 2 others like this.