Henry Butt

Discussion in 'Hampshire' started by Shellymac, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Shellymac

Shellymac Well-Known Member

I need help with Henry John Butt who was baptised along with his sister Harriett on the 2nd of October 1839 at Broughton Hampshire, his parents were John and Augusta (I have a thread on BG from years ago but this new thread is only about son Henry). Henry is not with his parents on the 41 census only George and Harriett are with them, so where is He? before the family left the UK for Australia they baptised two other children plus one that is not theirs (Maria Green who was on the 1851 census with them,)but she was baptised as Maria Butt and it lists the parents as John and Augusta this happened at All Saints Southampton on 10 June 1857.
    I haven't found any birth details for any of the Butt children only baptisms, Henry did not arrive here with his parents, but did turn up here before 1875 as he married Maria who was adopted by his parents (he is also not with them on the 1851 census) she is listed as Maria Butt Gadding not Green they married at the home of his brother George Butt and another brother Arthur was a witness. When Maria died 18 February 1933 there are no parents listed but it states that she was born in1849 at Margate Kent, so it has to be her.
    So where was Henry from the time of his birth until 1875 when he married Maria? I have sent for their marriage certificate today as I only have info from another branch of the family.
    So can anybody tell me where to view the parish records for Broughton as I would like to see if any birth dates are given for any of them. I have the transcript fron A.

2. Shellymac

I have just looked at the death certificates for John and Augusta to see how old the children were when they died, and Henry is the oldest he was born 1834, George 1835 it seems strange that George was bap 21 December 1835 but no record for Henry. I have been looking on Free bdm and found Harriett Sep 1839, Matilda Augusta Sep 1841 and. Male Butt in September 1843 which must be Arthur.
    Augusta's Father was John Andrews a major in the army and most of her siblings were very well off, so I am wondering if one of them brought Henry up.

3. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Just a thought, could Henry have been born before the marriage and thus baptised as Andrews? Have you details of Augusta's siblings so we might find them and see if they have the missing Henry with them with the surname Andrews or in the case of sisters their married name?

Joanne likes this.
  4. Shellymac

Augusta Andrews was one on twelve children there is a very long thread on BG on the Andrews family, her siblings were Jane Louisa b 1785, Charlotte Maria b 1786 married John Barrow, Harriot b 1788 married Thomas Wetherby, Charles b 1789 in the army in India, Sophia b 1790, Caroline Georgina b 1792 married Rev Robert Wylde four of her sons came to Australia, Harry born married Mercy Weston and Eliza Elford, Elizabeth b 1797 never married,
    Thomas b 1798 died 1836, Martha Matilda b 1804 never married, and Augusta b 1806 and some people have a Sarah b 1801 on A so I will have to have a look for her maybe I missed her. Augusta'sfather was John and John's father was Henry so he appears to have both Grandfathers names.
    It is after midnight here so I am off to bed, so I will check in to morning.

5. Shellymac

Harry was born 1795.

6. burt

burt Where there's a will there's a way!

No birth dates given on the baptisms. No sign of any other children of
    John & Augusta or under Andrews. This is for the period 1813-1841.

Shellymac likes this.
  7. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

There is a 7 year old Henry Butt or maybe Butts (born Hampshire) at what could be a little school in Stockbridge - not far away from Broughton - in 1841. It doesn't actually say it is a school, but the head of the household is a George Dennis, school master, and there are several school-age children with assorted names there.

HO 107/384, book 17, folio 9, p. 12.

8. Shellymac

Thank you both I was hoping that something extra would be in the parish register. Humcamunca that looks like him on the 1841 census, I tried for hours last night to find anything on Henry and I still can't find when he arrived here, I believe that his opp on the marriage is farmer but I am thinking that maybe he was a seamen as he was 17 by the 1851 he could have been at sea.

9. Shellymac

Well I have spent hours looking for info on Trove, nothing there. I have looked again at the shipping indexes and found nothing there either, there were a few seaman by that name but were too late to be our Henry. I have also followed the Andrew siblings through the census, a few never married but are listed as annuitants in all the census and John Butt never turns up with any of them.
    I think that I should also get his death certificate as it may tell us if he had been married before and how long he had been in Australia. I don't know where else to look now so I will wait for the marriage certificate to arrive.

10. Shellymac

That should read Henry Butt not John

11. Shellymac

Well I did get his marriage certificate and there is no age, no parents and no place of birth for either of them so I sent for his death cert as I thought that it may give me a year of arrival. the cert arrived today and he died 28 October 1922 aged 89, Farmer, parents John and Augusta informant was his son in- law Philip Butz and it lists time in the colony as 58years, so he arrived about 1864 which is seven years after the rest of the family.
    So where is he in the 1851 & 1861 census? And what ship did he arrive on?

12. Shellymac

well I can't find Henry in either the 1851 or 61 census, can anybody spot him?
    I think that he will have to go into the brick wall folder.