Henry Daniel Lysons

Discussion in 'British Army' started by Force 399, Aug 18, 2022.

1. Force 399

Force 399 Member

Hi

I am researching the history of Major Henry Daniel Lysons the grandson of General Sir Daniel Lysons and I believe son of Henry Lysons VC. I am well aware of the Major's military past. He served in the Royal Artillery (RA) at the beginning of WWI, joined the Royal Flying Corps in 1917 ( crashed a plane in France ) returned to the UK for further pilot training but then, under the Air Ministry, returned to France working for the RA. He was in Iraq and India in the inter-war years and then, with the RA, back in France in 1940 where he was MID at Dunkirk. I believe he was then in Greece and N. Africa. The problem I have, and hoping someone might be able to help, is locating a confirmed photo of Henry to go with his memorabilia. At the Gloucester Archives, where the family is from, they had the attached image that they claim in H.D. Lysons at his wedding in 1940. The only problem is, he is wearing the uniform of a Flt Lt. of the RAF when he should be wearing the uniform of an officer in the Royal Artillery????? I can't think who else this could be. His face does resemble that of his ancestors. Any suggestions??? Thanks in advance...

Attached Files:

2. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

The only wedding registration I can see for Henry D Lysons is not in 1940, but in 1938 in Hampstead (September qtr 1a 2066) Middlesex/London.
    Bride is Sylvia F Treffrey

As for the uniform not my expertise - sorry

Force 399 likes this.
  3. Force 399

Force 399 Member

This was the description included of the Lysons fond (Photographs) at the Gloucester Archives. It says "circa" 1940. But Sylvia F Treffrey being called "Biddy" ?? Still, even if taken in 1938 what's with the RAF uniform? - All the same, thanks for your help!
    • Includes Sir General Daniel Lysons and his first wife, Harriet Sophia Lysons, formerly Bridges c.1860; portrait photographs of Sir General Daniel Lysons, c.1875-1890; group photograph of Sir General Daniel Lysons, his second wife, Anna Sophia Lysons, formerly Biscoe and three of his sons, c. 1870; portrait photograph of Colonel Henry Lysons VC c. 1879; photograph of Daniel Lysons, grandson of General Sir Daniel Lysons on the occasion of his wedding c. 1940; portrait photograph of Biddy Lysons, wife of Daniel Lysons, c. 1940

MollyMay likes this.
  4. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

do you think this Daniel could be son of one of Henry Daniel Lyson b1858 siblings
    The general did have 4 other sons
    one Daniel Charles William did have a son Daniel b 1904 Hollingbourne Kent

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
    Force 399 likes this.
  5. Force 399

Force 399 Member

Yes I am sure that is very possible.

6. MollyMay

Am I getting things wrong?

You say the wedding picture is of Henry Daniel Lysons c1940 yet what you have got from the Gloucester Archives you say is
    So 2 different people?
    Daniel Lysons married Stella M Dalton 1943 in Kensington (June qtr 1a 321)

It still, doesn't answer the uniform mystery.

Force 399 likes this.
  7. Force 399

Force 399 Member

I know it is all a bizarre mess. Why? Because when you look at Henry Daniel Lysons medals and his overall military record everything matches except the fact that he is occasionally referred to as Daniel NOT Henry Daniel. For example, his MID for Dunkerque with 2nd Corps RA says his name is Daniel Lysons even though I know that the man that got the MID was in fact Henry Daniel Lysons. So this just makes it all the more confusing. It now appears there was a Henry Daniel married in 1938 and a Daniel married in 1943. It seems to me that the photo I posted is probably most likely the Daniel married in 1943. That means I obviously still have not found a photo of Henry. Any suggestions on how to find one anybody?

MollyMay likes this.
  8. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Any chance that your Army chap transferred to the RAF in later years ? Re Gloucester Archives, - where would they have obtained the wedding photo? From family or newspapers?

Force 399 likes this.
  9. Force 399

Force 399 Member

No, I believe he stayed in the artillery right through WWII. I believe the material was donated by the family but will check that. Thanks.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  10. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Looking through Ancestry for any details on Henry Daniel and/or Sylvia his wife, under the name of Sylvia Francesca TREFFREY in their Newspaper section, I came across an announcement of their wedding which was highlighted in yellow and next to it was a photograph of a couple who could perhaps be your Henry & Sylvia. Unfortunately, my Ancestry subscription does not cover the Newspaper section so I could not access the actual photograph to read the caption underneath to confirm whether it was indeed a photograph of Henry & Sylvia or one of the other couples mentioned. It might be worth a look on your part to see if you can discern whether the groom has a family resemblance to the photographs you already have. Does anybody else on the Forum have an Ancestry membership which covers newspapers and can either confirm or eliminate the photograph?

Janet

Force 399 and Ma-dotcom like this.
  11. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Major H. D. Lysons R.A. and Miss S.F. Treffry
    A marriage has been arranged and will take place quietly on Sept. 17 at St. Jjohn's between Between Henry Daniel Lysons Royal Artillery and Sylvia Francesca Treffry , of Hampstead.

The only photograph on the page was of King Boris of Bulgaria & Queen Joanna on holiday in UK & walking in Green Park.

Force 399, MollyMay and Daft Bat like this.
  12. MollyMay

FMP has Henry Daniel's RAF Officer's Service Records - have you seen them?
    Sadly no photo with them.

Force 399 likes this.
  13. MollyMay

Whilst doing some ferreting around, I came across Henry Daniel's mother's maiden name - she too was a Treffry. Vandah Louise Bretton Treffry.

Ma-dotcom, Sandiep and Force 399 like this.
  14. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Thank you, Wendy, I thought it was a long shot but ....

Janet

Ma-dotcom, Force 399 and Daft Bat like this.
  15. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

Ancestry has many trees a.l have the photos of Henry or Daniels grandfather and gr grandfather although think they are
    Portraits funny not one of one we want!
    There is loads on search engines same problem

Ma-dotcom, Force 399 and MollyMay like this.
  16. Force 399

Force 399 Member

I guess I have all the available military records etc. I tried locating a photo of him through his military units but the Royal Artillery Museum did not have any. That is quite the disappointing feat because between 1917 and 1940 he served as an officer from Lieutenant to Major in a plethora of units in the UK, Persia and India. While the extensive photographic catalogue they had listed units he served in, they were not for the dates in question. On the advice of Ma-dotcom, I did contact the archives in Gloucester and they said they still have the contact info for the donation so maybe that might lead to something. I have a similar issue with an American fellow that served in the RFC / RAF and then became one of the first US Air Mail service pilots in 1919. Can't find a photo of him either. Thanks all, again, for the assisstance.

17. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

I don't have access, but Ancestry has U.S. passport applications from that time frame that include thumbnail photos of the applicants. Might be worth a try.

Ma-dotcom likes this.