Henry Mc Carthy

Discussion in 'County Down' started by Betsy, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Betsy

Betsy New Member

Trying to find who Henry Mc Carthy married around 1830. They lived in Hillsborough/Dromore Co Down, but wern't neccessarily married there. They had children William 1831 ( who m'd Mary Jane Raverty in 1852),and Robert 1832.Could be more children but these I know about.

2. patten-walsh

patten-walsh Well-Known Member

The marriage record for Wiliam to Mary Jane Raverty shows Williams surname as Mccagherty and Williams baptism on 6 Dec 1829 at Drumlough presbytarian also has the same surname spelling both for William and his father Henry. No mothers name listed and no baptism so far for Robert. But will keep looking for other family.

Flora likes this.
  3. patten-walsh

Also baptism of a Martha Mccagherty 2 Jun 1832 same church but gives residence as Ballykeel which isn't far from Hillsborough. Mothers name not given

4. patten-walsh

Martha married : "daughter of Henry McCagherty; sister of Sarah; married James Thompson of Ballykeel 7 Mar 1859 at Annahilt Church of Ireland, witnesses were John Gillespie & William McCagherty" from record on Ros Davies' Co Down site.

Also another daughter Sarah married: "of Magheraconluce; daughter of Henry McCagherty; sister of Martha; aged 22 married Jeremiah Clelland of Magheraconluce 3 Jul 1852 at Lisburn Registry Office , witnesses were William McAgherty & Jane Shaw " again from Ros Davies' Co Down site

5. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

Date a little late but Ulster Historical Foundation search has a marriage of a Henry McCagherty in 1833 in Co Down. No parish given. You would need to register and buy credits to have full details.

And welcome Betsy! :)

6. patten-walsh

I am registered with UHF and have a guild membership which allows you to look at a record for 2 credits and I do have credits.......should I ?

Mealymoo likes this.
  7. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

That would be a very kind and generous thing to do as the credits are quite expensive - but as the date is wrong it could be a complete waste of money - though tempting.....
    I wouldn't like to advise!

I wonder if there is any way of eliminating him before spending any money....... I'll have another look around.

Mealymoo likes this.
  8. Betsy

Betsy New Member

Patten - Walsh and Grizel many thanks for this info. I have UHF membership so will look this up myself. This info must have been added lately,because I've not seen it before.