His hers and theirs. Haven't we heard this before?

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Murfomurf, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Murfomurf

Murfomurf Well-Known Member

I have a Margaret Flynn b. 1855, Rochdale, Lancashire who first married/had children with a Mr Still. Cannot find the marriage, but the children were Sarah (said to be born 1875 Middlesborough- no record), Eliza b. 1878 and Harry b. 1879 (both Greenwich). There is an Irish background with Margaret's parents Charles Flynn and Mary Mitchell said to be born in Ireland, but married 1839 in Rochdale.
    Then we have George William Stevenson b. 1840 London who married Sarah Caroline Melloy (no, not Molloy) and had at least 10 children (very strange spellings of Melloy, eg. Money, as the mother on the GRO). Mr Still evidently died or ran off and Sarah Melloy died 1879. Naturally enough, Margaret married George, combining households in the 1881 Census with 7 living Stevenson children and 3 Stills. At the 1891 Census there are 5 more young Stevensons (theirs), a few older Stevensons and the 3 Stills. By 1911 they are down to Mum and Dad plus 4 Stevenson kids. There is also a Harry Still apparently born in 1884 but with no record except the 1939 Register that says he was born 30 Apr 1884, and sometimes Harry Still (whichever one) is known as Harry Stevenson as well (great...).
    Can anyone find a marriage record and/or christian name for Mr Still? And a birth or baptism record for Sarah Still? Lastly- who is the extra Harry Still, b. 1884? I have started going around in circles with this mob- the Stills apparently are connected to me via DNA.

2. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

Think I have found a birth for Sarah Still - June qr 1875 Stockton 10a 55.
    Eliza Still Sep qr 1878 Greenwich 1d 908 but you probably have this one. Can't find any marriages anywhere.:headbang:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  3. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Sarah Still married Henry Edward Dawe (a soldier) on 3/10/1896 at St Margaret Plumsead. One of the witnesses was E Stevenson. Sarah names her father as Harry Still carpenter deceased, image on Anc.
    Henry Edward dies in India, and Sarah remarries to another solder in India surname Newton
    1911 census sees Sarah in Plumstead with Battery Sergeant Major Newton and 3 children - Sarah b1875 Yorkshire (town unknown).

The Harry Still on the 1939 reg married Ada Lee (Harry G and Albert R have mmn Lee) in 1911. I do not think he has anything to do with your Harry Still b c1880.
    On 1911 census 105 Friendly Street, Deptford finds Harry Still b 1879 Deptford a Statonary engine man married to Mercy with son Alfred age 2.
    Harry Still married Mercy Winder March qtr 1908 Greenwich 1d 1126
    Alfred Harry Still birth reg Sept qtr 1908 mmn Winder Greenwich 1d 1021

Murfomurf likes this.
  4. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

GRO Index has the death registration of a Henry STILL in the June qtr 1879 at Greenwich reg district, he being aged 32. Baptism at Lewisham, Kent on 12 December 1847 for Harry son of Edward & Sarah STILL.

1871 census of Lewisham, Kent (RG10/766, folio 34, page 59) shows Sarah STILL, widow, Dressmaker, living at Collingwood Tents, Lampit? Hill, together with unmarried sons Harry, a Carpenter, & George, a Bricklayer.

Still cannot find a marriage though.

Janet

Murfomurf and MollyMay like this.
  5. janetbooth

Burial record on Ancestry for a Henry STILL at Lewisham on 19 May 1879. The Sarah STILL whose birth was registered in Stockton, Durham, has a mother's maiden name of JOHNSON according to the GRO, whereas the birth registrations of both Eliza and Harry show mother's maiden name as FLYNN. However, I haven't found baptisms for any of the children yet, so I wonder, as Margaret originated in Ireland, whether they were RC baptisms and also whether her first marriage was RC?

Janet

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    MollyMay likes this.
  6. Murfomurf

This at least gives the father a name- yet another Harry Still. I know about the registration of Sarah Still with mother Johnson- it tricked me up for a while. There was a Harry Still b. 1847 on another Tree but not connected to my other Stills- they were related instead to his brother. RC records are hard to get for some places- but the Irish ones are better than English. I found nothing.

7. janetbooth

I wonder if the reason we cannot find a marriage between Margaret FLYNN & Harry STILL could be the fact that Margaret was already married? Just a thought, because there is a marriage in June qtr 1874 at Rochdale reg district between a Margaret FLYNN & either a Martin KENNEDY or a William SCHOFIELD. The only Margaret FLYNN that I can find in Rochdale in the 1871 census is the one who is born c1855 at Rochdale. It probably needs more research but I now have to go and pick up grandson for the day, so cannot look into it further.

Janet

Murfomurf and MollyMay like this.
  8. Andromeda

Andromeda New Member

Middlesbrough/Stockton is my area, so I've had a quick look at the local registrars indexes:

Tees Valley Indexes has a record of a Sarah Still b 1875
    1875 SARAH (STILL) Ref M-V-080-0-0315 Middlesbrough

Stockton Registrars also have a Sarah Still b 1875
    STILL, SARAH 1875 Book 80 Entry 315

Although there can be confusion over the two registration districts, I can't see how both can hold the same original record so I'm intrigued!

You can make enquiries via the two websites, and I've always found them very helpful - although I'm sure they are under a lot of pressure playing catch-up on the backlog of registrations, so it may take them a little longer then usual.

http://www.teesvalley-indexes.co.uk/
    https://www.stockton.gov.uk/register-office

9. Andromeda

Andromeda New Member

It was to Martin Kennedy and was at Rochdale Register Office or Registrar Attended, although I can't see them in the census after this.

10. Murfomurf

Thanks for persisting with this curly one! Several trees have used the marriage between that Margaret Flynn and William Schofield but I couldn't make it work with deaths or censuses etc. The Sarah Still b. 1875 Stockton/Middlesborough sounds interesting as the one in the GRO [with mother Johnson] has registration in Volume 10A Page 55 rather than Book 80 No. 315. Odd how her other 2 children have conventional GRO records. Re Census - maybe they nipped over to Ireland?

11. janetbooth

Well found Andromeda. I think, if I remember rightly from yesterday, there is a Martin KENNEDY in the 1871 census of Rochdale. Yes, just looked again and he is shown as an unmarried Hawker, aged 48, born Ireland living with widowed mother Nancy at 27 Union Street. He is living in Wardleworth in the 1861 census and still there in the 1881 census, where he is shown as an unmarried Earthenware Hawker! Haven't found a death record for a Margaret KENNEDY in Rochdale between 1874 and 1881, so perhaps ......

Janet

12. Andromeda

Andromeda New Member

Local registrars have mysterious numbering systems!

Middlesbrough Registration District was only created in 1875 (previously within Stockton RD) so I still have a nagging worry that the two registrations are actually the same person, who ends up in the GRO records as mmn Johnson, but I don't see how if there's only one 'local' original document. Let us know how you get on if you contact both offices.

13. Murfomurf

Martin Kennedy was not the one we wanted although a Martin Kennedy did have children with a Margaret Flynn- just not our Margaret Flynn. I think we can call a halt on this family now as I have discovered the identity of the original Harry Still I wanted. Curiously enough, he seems to be:
    William Henry Still
    BIRTH 20 SEP 1859 High Church, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland; FHL 6035516
    DEATH JUL 1926 West Ham, Essex, England; V4a p250 aged 67 years...

and with his parents born around West Ham, just to make us think that Harry ought to have been born there too! The generations go on, with A-site members trying to rename the Still family as Stevens, and Stills marrying other Stills. Eventually I got to my DNA connection, Mr Still born in 1950 with absolutely no idea about our ancient shared ancestor!