Historic texts Free Sites

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by euryalus, Jan 21, 2019.

1. euryalus

euryalus Well-Known Member

I have been trying to find an on-line copy of a particular book and have discovered several free sites. These are similar to the well-known "Gutenburg" project, but I am wary in that, although they offer free texts, they also require credit card details; is this some kind of scam?

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Probably.

I would want to know why they wanted credit card details, what is in their small print and what would happen if the person did not have one.

Bonzo Dog, Ma-dotcom, Chimp and 5 others like this.
  3. euryalus

euryalus Well-Known Member

The small print says: "Because we are only licensed to distribute our content to certain countries, we ask that you verify your mailing address by providing us with a valid credit card number. We GUARANTEE that NO CHARGES will be applied for validating your account. No charges will appear on your credit card statement unless you upgrade to a Premium Membership or make a purchase". If you do not provide credit card details you do not get the free e-books. If these sites are are genuine they could obviously be very useful to researchers!

4. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Hurrumph!

I would still like to know how they would get on with someone who doesn't have a credit card. Not everyone has one.

Bonzo Dog, Sis and Chimp like this.
  5. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't be happy giving my credit card number in order for someone to verify my address. I think it's quite telling that they say you can 'upgrade' - I wonder how much of a free look you get before you are told to see more you must 'upgrade' :reading:

Bonzo Dog, Sis, Half Hour and 3 others like this.
  6. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

I would not use the site. To need your c/c to verify an address is wrong... It sounds like a scam to me. Internet has ways of telling what country you are from...How often do you click on a link, say Youtube , and get a message saying the video or story is not available in your country. They don't have a c/c to tell you this.

Bay Horse, Bonzo Dog, Sis and 4 others like this.
  7. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Tell them to try electoral rolls or phone books

Sis and Daft Bat like this.
  8. mikejee

mikejee Well-Known Member

I thoroughly agree with all the previous comments, though would add also that I once joined a free book site which did not require credit card details to join, but, unless you upgraded moat (though not every ) book had large chunks of pages not available. So usually the most interesting bits you had to upgrade for

9. Bonzo Dog

Bonzo Dog Still the Mad Scientist?

I would be very wary of any site that required me to give any credit/debit card details before allowing me to see what books they have.

Bay Horse, AnnB, Ma-dotcom and 2 others like this.
  10. Dogsday

Dogsday Well-Known Member

Have you tried the Internet Archive for the book you require,
    Code:
    https://archive.org
    I have downloaded parish registers & historical books from them, all free of charge.
    I usually download them to my download folder then check them for viruses before opening them.

Sue036, Sis, Ma-dotcom and 3 others like this.
  11. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

I think the line "If it looks too good to be true it probably is" is what I would apply to these sites

Half Hour, Sis and Daft Bat like this.