History of the Mayflower from Plymouth England to Massachusetts

Discussion in 'Handy Web Sites' started by Figgs, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

One of my favourite websites/FG pages is Global Genealogy in Ottawa, Canada. Rick Roberts has books on every country and subjects you can think of. Today he put this one out and I must admit I know precious little of the Mayflower passengers, etc......this link will tell you loads of things, including the names of the passengers, history, etc. Next year is the 400th anniversary of the sailing of the Mayflower.

https://www.mayflower400uk.org/education/mayflower-passengers-list-an-interactive-guide

I am always rather surprised at how many Americans claim to be descendants of the Mayflower passengers (usually on the Ancestry postings) considering there were only 102 passengers and crew. But I guess it is like so many who claim native Indian ancestry or direct lines back to Charlemagne, etc. Probably all stories handed down by ancestors over the last 400+ years! And a lot of distant relationships.

Enjoy......I did. I would put the link out for Global Genealogy, but it is definitely a pay site (got my FTM there many years ago), so I won't.....because I can never figure out how to break it up. :D

GrannyBarb and LianeH like this.
  2. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

PS, I didn't catch the errors, but it should be FB for Facebook page and the above is an article of many pages on a Mayflower website, not a book. But there are books on everything .. such as I just found my gggrandfather's name (Swackhamer) as a United Empire Loyalist in a "tome" on the War of 1812........but it cost $125.......nope, didn't buy it, lol. But bought several books from him on Prince Edward Island when he was here in the Toronto area....if you would like the link to his website, I will put it out and get DB or Chimp to fix it up.

3. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Just came in from the garden and found this post. So instead of digging I’m reading about the passengers on the Mayflower. A little bit of known history of them. So wondering if the Allertons were related to another Allerton who is named as crew. Interesting to find out. Isaac and John are thought to be brothers but the crew member Allerton interests me.
    Thanks for this @Figgs.
    Edit.....your link has John as crew but another site has John as a passenger and no mention of him being crew. Now I’ve started something I feel. :rolleyes:

Ma-dotcom and Figgs like this.
  4. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

We don't study American history (and vice versa) in school, so my knowledge of this was cursory. I was intrigued by a crew member too by the name of John Alden (a cooper) as his name seemed to be familiar. Just looked him up and still not much the wiser. He married a Priscilla Mullins and was a friend? I think of Miles Standish.

Btw, it said in that article that at least half of the people on board ship died in the crossing so about 50 landed in the US. Hence my doubts on a million or three people saying they descend from the Mayflower people. :eek:o_O

Archie's Mum likes this.
  5. Archie's Mum

We didn’t do American history either. Just boring English history and of course Australian, which wasn’t at all boring to me. I don’t think they do anything history these days. Too busy learning about other stuff including the teachers view on politics...:mad:
    I love all the early colonial stuff but I have no idea of Canadian history and only a little bit on South Africa and India. New Zealand history is particularly interesting. I had no idea of Miles Standish until your list although I had heard of him. He’s another interesting subject worth another good read.

Figgs likes this.
  6. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Canadian History....Vikings landed in Labrador and northern Nfld. around 1000 AD at L'Anse Meadows for one. French landed in Maritimes and Quebec about 1600. British arrived in the 1700's and fought with the French. Indians were equal opportunity and fought with them both. :D

Then the land to the south of us thought they would fight the British and make our land (Canada) part of theirs. We slaughtered them (not in their history books btw, lol). Blew up a slew at Muddy York by lighting the "Munitions Stores" in the War of 1812......Muddy York later became Toronto. :eek:

This land became Canada and the US was NOT discovered by Columbus (don't tell them, grin)....he never set foot in the US. Landed in the Dominican Republic, then Cuba and Jamaica. Shhhhh!! They have a slew of statues and a holiday for Cristoforo Colombo. I think the US was probably named for Amerigo Vespucci......makes more sense. :rolleyes:

And that is Canadian and US history in a nutshell. Off the top of my head, late at night and all done tongue in cheek, in case any one wonders...but all true....ROFL!! :D:D

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  7. Steve Bumstead

Steve Bumstead Well-Known Member

Being a Bristolian we were always told that America was named after a Bristol merchant surnamed A Merrick (he did exist and funded Cabot I think).

Ma-dotcom and Archie's Mum like this.
  8. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

Welsh settlers in Patagonia. That's all we covered in our school history lessons. I find it more interesting to read about now than I did then.

As a very small child I was something of an expert on the Pilgrim Fathers - indeed we had a model of the Mayflower at home. My cousin's husband was in the RN, and we stayed in their married quarters one summer - for months I'd been told quite excitedly I was going to see the Pilgrim Fathers at Plymouth. I remember a lot of theatrical types dressed up in smocks who marched about, shouting a lot - and I was a fair bit older before I understood that the real PFs sailed from Plymouth in the 1600s not in the 1960s as I was given to understand. I had, after all, watched them all get on the Mayflower! :rolleyes::D

9. Archie's Mum

All I know about Patagonia is that if you are at Hells Gate, Strachan, Tasmania West Coast and you head west, your first landfall is Patagonia.

Nightryder, Figgs and Bay Horse like this.
  10. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

I renewed my NEHGS sub. They have a lot of Mayflower-related (pun :rolleyes: ) material. Let me know if you want any lookups.

I agree that what passes for history in the classroom is slanted by the interests of various folks. One of the happy side benefits of this hobby is getting the story from many points of view. :cool:

BTW - no direct Mayflower connection here.

Figgs likes this.
  11. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Oops... John Cabot was the first "Brit" to land in Canada I believe. But he was really Italian (like Columbus) and his real name was Giovanni Caboto, I read.

12. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

GrannyB...I met up with a US school teacher in London England who had NO idea that a) Columbus never found America and b) that we beat the snot out of the Americans in 1812 with the help of the Indians and the French. We were British in 1812. My ancestor (Jacob Swackhamer) apparently was the aide-de-camp to General Brock at Queenston (Niagara) and came up here from New Jersey to fight for the British!! Yes, history is fascinating...learned most of the above via genealogy. A lot of facts about Jacob Swackhamer and his UEL ties!

HildaW, GrannyBarb and Bay Horse like this.
  13. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

Hubby's mother always said they were descended from the Allertons and I have a little crystal piece ( used as a toothpick holder and another little tiny thing ) that she claimed came over on the Mayflower with her ancestors. I haven't linked him back to the Allertons yet other than in DNA...he has a whole pile of 6-7th cousins who have Allerton in their trees. He also has Empire Loyalists in his family as well... 3X and 4X gr. grandfathers.

Bay Horse and Figgs like this.
  14. Steve Bumstead

Steve Bumstead Well-Known Member

I have two ggggg uncles who fought in the war of 1812- having gone through the Peninsula campaign they were shipped off to the States in 1814 and helped burn down the White House before being on the losing side at New Orleans. They then came back and one fought at Waterloo (the other was injured at New Orleans). Quite a few years.
    Figgs - you're right about Cabot, but he sailed from Bristol and was financed locally. I know he landed on Newfoundland - did he also touch down on the (present) USA?

Bay Horse, Half Hour and Figgs like this.
  15. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Steve B...I honestly don't know about Cabot landing in the US. I will check that! It was a memory from high school I think! But dam!..I forgot the piece de resistance ...us burning down the White House!!! Not in their history books either, lol!

The US teacher I discussed this with in England was totally intrigued and going to look into it when she got home! I never forgot that. Or a million other bits of trivia either! :D

Bay Horse and Steve Bumstead like this.
  16. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Sue HH...have you thought about applying for the UEL designation? I'm not going to bother. I know, so that's enough! But a friend of Elayne's (our age) is the boss man for the Maritime UEL organization...should ask him all that's required..he has about 17,000 people in his tree!! :eek:

17. Half Hour

One of Russ's 3rd cousins suggested it...Russ says he doesn't care! It's enough to know! I think the cousin got his.
    Another one was the Fenian Raids!! They say it is thought the US turned a blind eye because they were still p/o'd at the British. Russ had a gr. uncle who fought for Canada in them... although the Irish didn't get very far. I believe I have a photo in my media of him in his uniform.. It is taken from a metal photo my m.i.l. had.
    His mother's ancestors were in Canada long before records were kept so searching is hard to do.

Figgs likes this.
  18. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

Huh. I knew about the White House burning. First Lady, Dolly Madison is credited with saving several national treasures, including a famous painting of George Washington. She's a fun topic of research, if you are ever bored.

So, granted, the British - with the aide of Canadians et al - won several battles. Guess what? We remain a separate, independent country. :p Maybe if ya'll had done a better job, we'd have national healthcare, better trained teachers, and a more polite attitude. :angel:
    FWIW, I've got folks on both sides of this conflict - so I win either way!! 8(:-)
    Still friends? ():-)

19. Half Hour

Sorry, eh?

:D :D:D{-(^^)-}

Figgs, Bay Horse and GrannyBarb like this.
  20. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

ROFL!! OF COURSE!!!! I was trying so hard to be a nice, laid back Canadian (cough).......and you are a good sport, my dear!! In all honesty, you would not believe how many Americans don't know what we were talking about!! But you do.....YAY!! Blame it on genealogy, right??.....oops, I mean "EH"?? :D :D
    {-(^^)-}

Bay Horse and GrannyBarb like this.