Holman family to Australia via South Africa.

Discussion in 'Migration & Shipping' started by The Artful Dodger, Sep 6, 2018.

1. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

Elizabeth Jane Hendra was born either in Redruth R.D. [2nd q. 1849] or Penzance R.D. [3rd q. 1849]. 1851 census indicates her place of birth as St. Hilary -H0107/1916/441/12. The family lived in Gwinear. She was baptised in Gwinear 31 Aug. 1851 [along with her brother William].

By 1871 she was assisting her father in the family business and was aged 22 years. In Gwinear was her future husband - Thomas Henry Holman [bapt. 8 Sep. 1849] and I'm not sure when they met as Thomas Henry is not with his parents in 1871.
    She and Thomas Henry were married 5 Dec. 1872.

A son - Thomas Henry - was born in Gwinear and bapt. 10 Sep. 1876. At some point in time between then and as we found - 1878 and later - additional baptisms occurred -
    William John - born 23 Aug. 1878 and bapt. 10 Apr. 1881 - Kimberley, South Africa
    Joseph James - born 28 Aug. 1880 and bapt. 10 Apr. 1881 - Kimberley and
    Elizabeth Jane - born 8 Mar. 1882 and bapt. 21 May 1882 - Kimberley.

T hen found this family on a ship "Australasian". This ship originally left Plymouth and stopped at Cape Town where the Holman's boarded and ultimately arrived in Melboune 8 Dec. 1884.

I have not been able to ascertain details of the family from their arrival in 1884 until what appears to be marriages of the children:
    Thomas Henry - Alice Bosworth 1898 - Victoria
    William John - Martha Peters 1899 - Victoria
    and then it would appear that husband and wife became disenchanted with each other if my understanding of a set of circumstances culminating with the suicide of Mrs. Elizabeth Jane Hendra on 3 Oct. 1900.

Her suicide note read as follows:
    "??? Holman has driven me to my end. I cannot live and see my children suffer and be burdened with my affliction.
    Good by[sic] all dear children"
    It would appear that she and Thomas Henry separated in late 1899 or early 1900.

Her inscription @ Boroondara Wesleyan Section C, P.110 #64 reads
    HOLMAN IMO of our L/M and W Elizabeth Jane HOLMAN d at Richmond 3 Oct. 1900 51Y

2. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

There's quite a bit about her suicide in the newspapers on Trove.

Code:
    https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/result?q=%22Elizabeth+Jane+Holman%22

The Artful Dodger likes this.
  3. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

So far all I can find is that Thomas Henry was employed as a tram driver when Elizabeth died.

4. Sis

Thomas supposedly married a second time. You'll have to scroll right down to find him.

Code:
    http://jones3995.tripod.com/our_big_tree/i150.htm

5. Archie's Mum

Thomas' second wife, Adeline Elizabeth Gaskell Stanley was previously married to William Holman who was the son of Thomas' brother, Edward. :rolleyes:

The Artful Dodger, Ma-dotcom and Sis like this.
  6. Sis

o_O

7. Archie's Mum

Cousin William deserted Adeline so she was granted a dissolution of her marriage and thats where Tom stepped in. :)

The Artful Dodger and Ma-dotcom like this.
  8. Sis

Seems to run in the family. I wonder if Tom stayed with Adeline!

9. Archie's Mum

Adelines death is registered as Adelaide in August 1932 father surname Stanley. There is death notice on 13/8/1932 for her but no mention of Thomas, just children and I think Thomas died in 1935. Another notice mentions just her grandchildren. So maybe he didn't stick around there either.

The Artful Dodger and Sis like this.
  10. The Artful Dodger

Lots of details eh and quite the family - well that's to be expected from what I know of my lot!!!

11. The Artful Dodger

Thomas Henry died @ his residence in Brunswick, Victoria 5 June 1935. He was aged 85. An article in the Kilmore Free Press dated 13 June 1935 - source Trove Newspapers - indicated that 6 sons and 2 daughters survived him and that another son and a daughter predeceased him.

Maybe he stuck to Adeline like a limpet after all!!

Sis likes this.
  12. The Artful Dodger

Thomas Henry was the son of William and Eliza nee Rodda married in Gwinear 29 Apr. 1828. Among Thomas Henry's numerous siblings were Eliza, John, Mary, Elijah, Joseph, William and Edward.

Brother Edward married Mary Ann Barkell in Redruth 27 Dec. 1860 and in the 1861 census Edward was a Copper Miner. A daughter Eliza was born 1st q. 1863 and shortly thereafter the family emigrated to New Zealand arriving in Canterbury on board the Accrington. At the time of arrival Eliza was aged 3months.
    6months later Eliza died.

The family then moved across the water to Australia, settling in Nerring, Victoria where a son John was born in 1864 and then Eaglehawk where a son William was born in 1865. Son John died in 1866.

The son William married Adeline Elizabeth Stanley in Victoria in 1885 and it would appear that between 1885 and 1895 they were to have 5 children. Their marriage fell apart and was dissolved according to an article in the Argus 29 Nov. 1902.

Edward the brother of Thomas Henry died on 27 Oct. 1885 in California Gully, Victoria.

13. The Artful Dodger

Seems not to have stuck around after all!! Adeline and Thomas Henry were living together in 1903 at 32 Freeman St. Richmond, Thomas Henry was listed as an Engineer and Adeline was Home Duties. They married in 1905 and were still at the same address in 1905. I have not found Thomas Henry in any Electoral Rolls after 1905 [with any degree of certainty]

Before hooking up with Thomas Henry, it would appear she had 5 children with William.

The death notice for Adeline dated 13 Aug. 1932 in the Melbourne Herald indicated that she was predeceased by sons Edgar and Stanley and survived by 3 daughters Elsie, Rita and Lillian.

I have not been able to find any children with her and Thomas Henry. I have Adeline in 3 Electoral Rolls after 1905:
    1919 - 479 Chapel St. South Yarra - occ. Shop Assistant
    1924 - 89 Gore St. Yarra - Invalid
    1931 - 8 York St. Yarra - Home duties.

So who are these children mentioned in the Kilmore Free Press? I only have the 4 with Elizabeth Jane Hendra.

14. Archie's Mum

Adeline’s children with William 1865-1920 divorced, were, William Edgar Haarcourt Holman 1886-1918, Elsie Eveline 1889-1945, Rita Daphne 1891-1978, Stanley Barkell 1893-1893, Lillian May 1895. From jones3995.tripod