How many wives did John Davenport have?

Discussion in 'Surrey' started by annabel, Oct 7, 2018.

1. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

John Davenport was born in 1815 St Mary Newington, to Thomas and Mary Ann

I have him up to 1847 when banns were called for a marriage to Eliza Bowman, but they didn't seem to go through with it, eventually marrying in April - June 1851
    The 1851 census has John a fishmonger? in New Street Newington, Eliza born 1819, with a daughter Ann Bowman b 1839 Walworth. I have not found Ann anywhere else

Eliza died in the July of that year, and I think I have found him in 1861 at 13 New Street, a costermonger.
    With him is a wife Catherine b 1819 Newington, and children Thomas b 1850 and Catherine b 1847. Both were born before his marriage to Eliza. I have not found any more on these children or his wife. I think John died in 1866 in Hackney, from Newington Workhouse.

So did he have children with Catherine and that's why Eliza didn't marry him? Whose children were they, and who was Catherine? Where did they go?
    Any help gratefully received, I'm stumped

2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

These deaths are on FreeBmd but not on GRO
    Deaths Mar 1858
    Bowman Ann Mile End 1c-445
    Deaths Mar 1859
    Bowman Ann St Martin 1a-225
    Deaths Jun 1859
    BOWMAN Ann Strand 1b-260
    BOWMAN Ann Elizabeth Hackney 1b-177
    Marriages Jun 1855
    BOWMAN Ann St Olave 1d-52
    LODGE Henry OR WILLIAMS John St Olave 1d-52

Marriages Mar 1857
    Ambrose Henry William St Olave S. 1d-44
    Bowman Ann St Olave S 1d-44
    Preston George Henry St Olave S 1d-44

annabel likes this.
  3. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

This would need a lot more research on your part, Annabel, as I cannot find a marriage between John DAVENPORT & a Catherine at the moment, but in looking on the 1851 census for a Catherine born c1819 in Newington with children Catherine born c1847 & Thomas born c1850, also at Newington, I came up with the following family (HO107/1567, folio 288, page 10):

Thomas IREMONGER Head Mar 57 Chelsea Pensioner Berkshire Reading
    Catherine do Wife Mar 35 Surrey Newington
    Elizabeth do Daur 12 Scholar do do
    Emma do Daur 7 do do
    Catherine do Daur 4 do do
    Thomas do Son 9 months do do

There is a death registration for a Thomas IREMONGER in the March qtr 1854 at Newington, aged 60, which fits in pretty well with the above census details. The birth registrations for Catherine & Thomas show their mother's maiden name as ALLTIMES. Thomas IREMONGER married Catherine ALLTIMES on 24 December 1837 at St Mary Newington - image available to view on Ancestry.

I cannot find a Catherine IREMONGER or variants with children Catherine & Thomas in the 1861 census. Daughter Catherine would appear to marry a William LYON at Bethnal Green on 3 September 1863 as IRONMONGER and one of the witnesses was Catherine IRONMONGER senr, which may shoot down my theory unless John DAVENPORT & Catherine never married.

There is a non-conformist burial record at Hackney Victoria Park Cemetery on 22 May 1864 of a Catherine IRONMONGER, Sun Street, Newington, aged 47, which is exactly the same place as John DAVENPORT was buried in 1866.

Perhaps worth further consideration on your part with this coincidence??

Janet

Jellylegs likes this.
  4. annabel

Thank you Janet. That does look promising. I've always had a suspicion that John never married Catherine. If this is true then probably none of the children are his! I'll have a look and see what I can find
    I'm trying to find which Davenport married into an Irish family. Perhaps it's not this branch

5. annabel

Well with more digging, I think you are right Janet. Poor Catherine seems to have gone in the workhouse with her children immediately after Thomas Iremonger's death, as a widow in distress. I'd like to think that she was taken in by John Davenport. I think they probably knew each other for some time, I've found they both lived on the same street they were together at in 1861, 20 odd years before

janetbooth likes this.